Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
107 registered (Anita Potter, 36251, ando, A Guy, anamnesis, accordeur, 30 invisible), 1392 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2096990 - 06/06/13 12:59 PM Need Android app to keep track of practice time..
shaolin95 Offline

Hi!
I was wondering if someone can recommenda good app to log in my practice time and maybe have a way to see a montly report etc.
Thanks

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2096992 - 06/06/13 01:03 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: shaolin95]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Why would you need to log your time? I mean what's the benefit in it?

#2097001 - 06/06/13 01:30 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: shaolin95]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I don't use apps, but I do log my time, in a loose leaf binder, and then monthly in an Excel spreadsheet. For me, I'm just one of those people who tracks things. I used to score the All-Star baseball game on TV, too. I find it both interesting to see how much I've actually practiced, and rewarding. Whatever works for me smile

Cathy

#2097003 - 06/06/13 01:32 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I don't have a specific recommendation. However, I suggest looking at running or other exercise apps because they are popular. A spreadsheet will also do, but on Android they can be clunky and costly. If a person has a computer, a spreadsheet might be the easier way to go. It is easier to enter data on a computer vs. a phone or tablet.

Some folks use a notebook. I don't log mine, I just have a general idea, and general targets for time and what kind of things I am working on. Some folks spend nearly as much time on logging as they do practicing, and I see that as a poor use of time. Simple is good enough.

As to why, there are benefits to keeping track, and some people like data. That's a reason the exercise logs are so popular. For example if a person has a target of an average of an hour per day, and their schedule becomes erratic, they can get a sense of how far off their target they might be. Some folks have poor or selective memories. Especially if their isn't a specific time every day, it can be hard to keep track.

#2097019 - 06/06/13 01:53 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: shaolin95]
Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
I've considered doing this. I use Numbers on my iPad. I currently play for several hours a day, spread throughout, so I've been curious just how much time I am spending at the keyboard.

#2097027 - 06/06/13 02:02 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: shaolin95]
shaolin95 Offline

I started downloading a few and I found one that I guess is fine, just wish there was something better. I dont track many things I do like at the gym, I do track calories...at least when I wanted to learn about better eating habits.
For me is more of a thing where I want to do too many things in my life and not having enough time, piano, singin, violin, gym, hockey, language learning, etc...but I want to make sure I am meeting the requirements I want to meet to keep improving fast on my piano. Its easy to think you are doing a lot more than you actually are, or the opposite, in this crazy lives we live. smile

I prefer my phone because it is right by me as my metronome (is a Galaxy Note 2) so I can pause and continue any time I need without moving to my pc room etc.
Or the tablet works too of course.

Edited by shaolin95 (06/06/13 02:03 PM)

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2097052 - 06/06/13 02:27 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: Sand Tiger]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
As to why, there are benefits to keeping track, and some people like data. That's a reason the exercise logs are so popular. For example if a person has a target of an average of an hour per day, and their schedule becomes erratic, they can get a sense of how far off their target they might be. Some folks have poor or selective memories. Especially if their isn't a specific time every day, it can be hard to keep track.

I see. It's kind of obsessive it seems, but everyone's different, so whatever works, stick to it. I remember freshman year in school, an upper classman saw me making a schedule for studying, break, lunch, dinner, planned out for the whole week Monday through Sunday, and he gave me the advise not to create plans and schedules for studying and just study.

#2097650 - 06/07/13 05:29 AM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: shaolin95]
MrPozor Offline

Loc: near Paris, France
One app I've used to track different tasks at work is "Time Recording - Timesheet App"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dynamicg.timerecording&hl=en

I haven't used it extensively but it worked very well.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1

#2097732 - 06/07/13 09:52 AM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger

I see. It's kind of obsessive it seems, but everyone's different, so whatever works, stick to it. I remember freshman year in school, an upper classman saw me making a schedule for studying, break, lunch, dinner, planned out for the whole week Monday through Sunday, and he gave me the advise not to create plans and schedules for studying and just study.
It is very good, especially for someone who wants to increase their practice time or needs to determine if they need to increase it (like if they practice in bits and pieces throughout the day but and trying to improve their efficiency). It's not obsessive at all, just bringing awareness to how much time or how often you practice.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2098023 - 06/07/13 05:34 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: shaolin95]
IanW Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Have a look at Insight Timer at

https://insighttimer.com/

This app is designed for meditation, but will help you split up your practice time into blocks separated by nifty Tibetan singing bells and will also record your times and summarize usage by day/week/month.

#2102543 - 06/14/13 03:09 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: shaolin95]
KarelG Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
I've tried several of them, but at the end always went back to my Documents To Go and saving the data and value into a spreadsheet. This way I also log lessons hours and credit I have on my virtual prepaid lessons account. The advantage of spreadsheet is that it's all calculated automatically. One sheet is dedicated to overview of training hours in independent years...

#2103970 - 06/17/13 05:47 PM Re: Need Android app to keep track of practice time.. [Re: shaolin95]
Stephen Hazel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle-ish, WA
google docs spreadsheet should do it.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
18 minutes 41 seconds ago
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
20 minutes 29 seconds ago
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
42 minutes 53 seconds ago
piano with willie
by TonyB
Today at 08:25 PM
Weird notation in the left hand
by LarryShone
Today at 07:43 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160026 Topics
2349976 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission