2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi!
I was wondering if someone can recommenda good app to log in my practice time and maybe have a way to see a montly report etc.
Thanks

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Why would you need to log your time? I mean what's the benefit in it?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I don't use apps, but I do log my time, in a loose leaf binder, and then monthly in an Excel spreadsheet. For me, I'm just one of those people who tracks things. I used to score the All-Star baseball game on TV, too. I find it both interesting to see how much I've actually practiced, and rewarding. Whatever works for me smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I don't have a specific recommendation. However, I suggest looking at running or other exercise apps because they are popular. A spreadsheet will also do, but on Android they can be clunky and costly. If a person has a computer, a spreadsheet might be the easier way to go. It is easier to enter data on a computer vs. a phone or tablet.

Some folks use a notebook. I don't log mine, I just have a general idea, and general targets for time and what kind of things I am working on. Some folks spend nearly as much time on logging as they do practicing, and I see that as a poor use of time. Simple is good enough.

As to why, there are benefits to keeping track, and some people like data. That's a reason the exercise logs are so popular. For example if a person has a target of an average of an hour per day, and their schedule becomes erratic, they can get a sense of how far off their target they might be. Some folks have poor or selective memories. Especially if their isn't a specific time every day, it can be hard to keep track.

I've considered doing this. I use Numbers on my iPad. I currently play for several hours a day, spread throughout, so I've been curious just how much time I am spending at the keyboard.

Playing: Yamaha GC2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I started downloading a few and I found one that I guess is fine, just wish there was something better. I dont track many things I do like at the gym, I do track calories...at least when I wanted to learn about better eating habits.
For me is more of a thing where I want to do too many things in my life and not having enough time, piano, singin, violin, gym, hockey, language learning, etc...but I want to make sure I am meeting the requirements I want to meet to keep improving fast on my piano. Its easy to think you are doing a lot more than you actually are, or the opposite, in this crazy lives we live. smile

I prefer my phone because it is right by me as my metronome (is a Galaxy Note 2) so I can pause and continue any time I need without moving to my pc room etc.
Or the tablet works too of course.

Last edited by shaolin95; 06/06/13 02:03 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
As to why, there are benefits to keeping track, and some people like data. That's a reason the exercise logs are so popular. For example if a person has a target of an average of an hour per day, and their schedule becomes erratic, they can get a sense of how far off their target they might be. Some folks have poor or selective memories. Especially if their isn't a specific time every day, it can be hard to keep track.

I see. It's kind of obsessive it seems, but everyone's different, so whatever works, stick to it. I remember freshman year in school, an upper classman saw me making a schedule for studying, break, lunch, dinner, planned out for the whole week Monday through Sunday, and he gave me the advise not to create plans and schedules for studying and just study.

M
M
One app I've used to track different tasks at work is "Time Recording - Timesheet App"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dynamicg.timerecording&hl=en

I haven't used it extensively but it worked very well.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1, Yamaha P-155
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger

I see. It's kind of obsessive it seems, but everyone's different, so whatever works, stick to it. I remember freshman year in school, an upper classman saw me making a schedule for studying, break, lunch, dinner, planned out for the whole week Monday through Sunday, and he gave me the advise not to create plans and schedules for studying and just study.
It is very good, especially for someone who wants to increase their practice time or needs to determine if they need to increase it (like if they practice in bits and pieces throughout the day but and trying to improve their efficiency). It's not obsessive at all, just bringing awareness to how much time or how often you practice.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Have a look at Insight Timer at

https://insighttimer.com/

This app is designed for meditation, but will help you split up your practice time into blocks separated by nifty Tibetan singing bells and will also record your times and summarize usage by day/week/month.

K
K
I've tried several of them, but at the end always went back to my Documents To Go and saving the data and value into a spreadsheet. This way I also log lessons hours and credit I have on my virtual prepaid lessons account. The advantage of spreadsheet is that it's all calculated automatically. One sheet is dedicated to overview of training hours in independent years...

November 2011: piano entered into my life.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
google docs spreadsheet should do it.

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission