Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2097243 - 06/06/13 07:15 PM Best headphones for software piano sony v6?
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Trinidad and Tobago
Hi guys.. Is the sony V6 studio monitors good for a software piano?

Or is there a better headphone I should be considering?

Thanks.

Finally got my software piano up and running .. yay smile

Sony V6 Studio Headphones :: Presonus Audiobox USB :: Fiio E6 Headphone Amp ::
JVC 360Watt Stereo Speakers

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2097278 - 06/06/13 08:37 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

was also considering the Grado sr80i and Ath M50.

I don't know whether the v6 is better for digital piano software or not.

considering the Grado sr150 but they are expensive.. so are the Ath M50.

any advice?

thanks a lot for the help guys.
Really appreciate it.

#2097703 - 06/07/13 08:56 AM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Deffie Offline

The first thing you probably want to decide is what type of headphones you want. The V6 and M50 are both closed over-ear headphones and the SR80i is open and on-ear. Once you figure that out you should probably try and find somewhere you can try various headphones out, since headphone sound preference is about as personal as piano touch preference.

With that said, all 3 headphones you are considering are good general headphone choices, and as such should work fine for piano. I've heard both the V6 and M50 and they both seemed quite good (and are well-regarded on head-fi), but didn't try either with my DP. I actually own a pair of SR80i (and Shure SRH840, and Sennheiser HD600, etc...) and like them quite a bit both in general and for piano. But as mentioned above, it's all personal preference, so if possible I'd recommend trying to listen before buying.

For lots more information you might want to check out http://www.head-fi.org/

#2098090 - 06/07/13 07:38 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I went ahead with the V6.

I was once addicted to head-fi btw..

Figured the V6 is a safe choice. Was just wondering if any would be preferential for DP use.

Will post how it sounds on the forum for others to see when it arrives.

Thanks

#2098183 - 06/07/13 09:12 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I will be very interested in your report.

#2098251 - 06/07/13 10:06 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

It should arrive by next Tuesday as my Uncle is visiting.
I will make sure to post my findings on the headphones smile

I don't think i'm an audiophile really. But I have a decent ear so that should count for something. I play all my instruments by ear.

#2098253 - 06/07/13 10:07 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Not entirely sure what qualifies you as an Audiophile so I don't claim to be one.. I am however extremely picky when it comes to audio.

#2098399 - 06/08/13 12:09 AM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
Wow! V6 are very popular (for better or worse). Over 1000 reviews at Amazon. Mostly favorable.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ

#2098586 - 06/08/13 12:08 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

yup. It's one of the most popular studio monitors.. Those, Grados and the Audio technical ath m50.. the latter is out of my price range

#2098618 - 06/08/13 01:33 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Sony V6 are PHENOMENAL. My brother has them and I am listening sometimes on them. Even from iPAD the sound is astonishing. You can't go better. Generaly, Sony headphones are underestimed in the HI-END and audio interested people. Probably due to fact that Sony is all-pupropse company. People are buying boomy and dull Sennheihers, some AKG and other... while some models of Sony are blowing everything off. However, they are on the bright side of sound.

Even here - people buy to their piano mostly AKG or Sennheisers. While Sony IMO is better headphones manufacturer then these two, or at the same level.

#2099108 - 06/09/13 03:12 AM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sennheisers make both very good and very bad headphones.. They have a rep of being neutral but from my experience ( HD238) they are a bit on the boomy side.

A bit too Boomy for my tastes.

Klipsch are also on the Boomy side. I ended up selling the image one I had

Surprisingly my bose triport(the old one) isn't all that boomy and this has a rep of being very boomy lol... Add a headphone amp and the bose shines.

I like the triport but I must admit something always seems like it's missing. .

Cant wait to get my hands on the Sony V6
There is a reason why it's popular after a decade.

#2100158 - 06/10/13 08:44 AM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Deffie Offline

Depends entirely on which model Sennheisers you're talking about. Since they have such a large range of models some of the cheaper ones are inevitably not that good.

The main reason Sony isn't considered most of the time for truly high quality audio is because they don't currently make any truly high end headphones. They used to with the R10 and Qualia, but haven't since then. Now the top performers are Sennheiser for traditional dynamic drivers, Audez'e and Hifiman with their planar models, and of course Stax for electrostats.

Yes, Sony makes some good headphones, but they are nowhere near the top for sound quality. The reason the V6 and 7506 are still popular is because they are some of the best around $100, not because they are the absolute best. Other contenders around that price point are the entry-level Grados and Shure 440s.

#2100414 - 06/10/13 03:13 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Sorry to say Deffie,
But I need to say that you knowledge about Sony's headphones is wrong.
Sony has model in each price gruop, and at the highest level they are better then Senns.
Senns are popular because "oh, sennheiser, it must be good".
I was listening few of them, some on some poor Denon home cinema amplifiers, or HD-600 on some dedicated headphones amplifier... and sorry... I would never paid such amount of money for such horrible sound.
I know they have their fans, but when comes to phones I always tell people to buy Sony or AKG.

And they are much ahead in terms of sound before the Senns, and many others.
People just don't like the label SONY on their Hi-end pricey phones...

#2100434 - 06/10/13 04:05 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Deffie Offline

Sony currently has nothing that competes with the HD600, HD650 or HD800 (HD700 as well, but those have some treble issues). Whether their sound signature is to your preference is an entirely different issue, but no, Sony is not currently competing in the high-end headphone market.

Still, even without going into specific brand comparisons, these are the current high-end headphone manufacturers (only counting currently offered models):
Audez'e (LCD-2, LCD-3)
Beyerdynamics (T1)
Denon (D7100)
Fostex (TH900, TH600)
Grado (multiple models, I always forget the numbers)
Hifiman (HE-4, HE-500, HE-5LE, HE-6)
JPS Labs (Abyss)
Sennheiser (HD600, HD650, HD700, HD800)
Shure (SRH1840)
Stax (many models, notably the SR-009)
TakeT (whatever their weird peizoelectric model is)

While it's certainly possible I've forgotten a model or two, the fact remains that Sony does not currently compete in the high-end headphone market. This isn't intended as an insult to you or Sony; just an observation of a market that they are not currently pursuing. If you feel otherwise then please, let me know what model(s) you feel compete with something like the above mentioned Sennheisers, Audez'e or Stax headphones.

And as stated above, the V6 are still good headphones, but I wouldn't make any claim that they compete with some of the current best, just that they are quite good for the price.

#2100552 - 06/10/13 06:55 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Unfortunately I haven't used these Sony headphones, but I have the Senn 595's and also the ATH M50's mentioned earlier (which are more expensive than the Sonys in question but considered a good buy). These are both reasonably well regarded but I can tell you that the Sennheisers are better by a large, large margin, especially for piano use (when listening to CD-quality pop music I don't find that the quality difference matters as much). I am very skeptical about claims that any closed headphone sounds as good (detailed, realistic) as the HD595's.

Anyway, the HD595's aren't even on the above list of high end headphones and I can't tell how much you get for all the extra money to get to that level, but I can say that Sennheiser's popularity and reputation isn't just due to the snob factor.

#2100564 - 06/10/13 07:15 PM Re: Best headphones for software piano sony v6? [Re: Mta88]
Deffie Offline

HD595s (and 598s) are also quite good.

There are some closed headphones that best them, but typically open headphones are better at a given price point.

Top tier closed headphones:
Denon D2000, D5000, D7000 (these are the 'old' models that have since been replaced by reportedly inferior new models...I've listened to the D7000 a few times and it's not really to my taste)
Fostex TH600, TH900 (Fostex made the above cans for Denon and reportedly their own versions are even better...I've heard the TH900 briefly, but not long enough to have any useful insight)
Sony MDR-R10 (super rare, been out of production for years, and extremely expensive...I've heard the more 'consumer' version with cheaper construction and they sounded quite good)

Still, in general the R10 is considered by many to be the only closed headphone that can truly keep up with some of the best open cans.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alex1, Al LaPorte, 43 invisible), 1866 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294440 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission