Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2097459 - 06/06/13 10:36 PM What do you think of my composition/ advice for improvement?
egoopus Offline

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2097542 - 06/06/13 11:05 PM Re: What do you think of my composition/ advice for improvement? [Re: egoopus]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
First off, welcome to Piano World.

About the music:

To be completely honest I didn't like it at all. It is very predictable and to my ear there are tons of pieces that sound just like this. My advice would be to get away from this 4/4 pop style of writing and branch out to other time signatures. Also, use different chords. I feel like this used the same few chords over and over again. Do you listen to classical music? I feel like you don't. This isn't really a bad thing, it just means that you probably haven't been exposed to what's out there, and that's really important when creating art. Listen to the great classical masters from Bach to Debussy and even later if you are willing. Let everyone's musical language mix around in your own head until you have your own.

Here are a few general rules I would tell anyone interested in composition:

1) Never try to be someone else. Find your own sound.

2) Don't over-complicate.

3) Keep doing it over and over. Your first composition will not be the work of a master. It takes time and patience to get good at any craft.

I hope this wasn't an inappropriately critical response. Good luck!

#2097662 - 06/07/13 06:55 AM Re: What do you think of my composition/ advice for improvement? [Re: JoelW]
egoopus Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW
First off, welcome to Piano World.

About the music:

To be completely honest I didn't like it at all. It is very predictable and to my ear there are tons of pieces that sound just like this. My advice would be to get away from this 4/4 pop style of writing and branch out to other time signatures. Also, use different chords. I feel like this used the same few chords over and over again. Do you listen to classical music? I feel like you don't. This isn't really a bad thing, it just means that you probably haven't been exposed to what's out there, and that's really important when creating art. Listen to the great classical masters from Bach to Debussy and even later if you are willing. Let everyone's musical language mix around in your own head until you have your own.

Here are a few general rules I would tell anyone interested in composition:

1) Never try to be someone else. Find your own sound.

2) Don't over-complicate.

3) Keep doing it over and over. Your first composition will not be the work of a master. It takes time and patience to get good at any craft.

I hope this wasn't an inappropriately critical response. Good luck!

It wasn't to critical i see you have some valid points thank you.You are right i listen to classical music sometimes but i really don't study it. I mostly listen to and study minimalist music and new age music(Maybe that's why it seems repetitive).I will start experimenting with classical music and more time signatures.

#2099237 - 06/09/13 10:56 AM Re: What do you think of my composition/ advice for improvement? [Re: egoopus]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Joel hit the nail on the head. I completely understand that some can find the profound in the relatively simple. It's been said of the great blues guitarists that they can say much in just a few notes. Your piece is a variations on a simple chord progression. Bach's Goldberg Variations are also a set of variations on a chord progression. If I set out to compose a set of variations I'll listen to some of the great sets of variations from the past (Bach's Goldberg, Beethoven's Diabelli Variations and Brahms Finale to the 4th Symphony), these remind me of how far I should strive to stretch my creativity. Bear in mind that this musical philosophy is very different from New Age or minimalism, though minimalism would be defined as music evolving through small changes over time and isn't variations at all.

#2099875 - 06/09/13 08:56 PM Re: What do you think of my composition/ advice for improvement? [Re: egoopus]
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: pagosa springs,co
I think you had some nice ideas but as a pianist I only heard your ideas in the beginning and then the repetition did not appeal to me. If you are a minimalist I can see those ideas fitting into ' spa' type music...I find that type of music very repetitive ....which is what I believe the spas like. Perhaps adding in other sounds [ timbres] could somewhat alleviate the repetitiveness of the piano.

rada

#2099926 - 06/09/13 09:37 PM Re: What do you think of my composition/ advice for improvement? [Re: egoopus]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
egoopus, you've received some good advice and i've never known anyone who wouldn't benefit from broadening their tastes and techniques. that said, you've got some nice things going on in your music. in particular, you do have a sense of melody & harmony in the composition & your music very definitely doesn't sound forced. to the contrary, it sounds very natural. so THAT us good!

what you might do next is look at what you have and see how to build on it. for example, the composition sounds as if it might have been worked out on your keyboardt if that's how you did it you also filtered your musical ideas through what your hands are capable of playing - and you filtered out whatever your hands can't play! there's nothing wrong with that - but getting away from your keyboard when you compose might help you to hear your music in your head rather than feel it in your fingers.

there are places where you might look to keep what you noe have but thin out the texture just a little bit. it comes down to what's essential and what's not essential. the raw material w/which to make that choice is already there - it's your composition.

you might also take stock of the minimalist composers whom you're listening to. meaning who are they and what would you say are the biggest differences between your music and their music? those 'big differences you might identify could provide useful perspective.

you might also work on playing your composition w/more ease and relaxation. whatever extra ease you apply to the performance will let you play phrases and dynamics w/more nuance and finesse - so everything, even as it is, will sound more confident and assured.

you could take a look at the ending. i'm not sure as i listened if that was indeed the ending or just the place where you couldn't figure out how to go any further. ask yourself how you feel about the ending. does it work? you could ask the same about the beginning - or anything in betweebn beginning and end.

you also might try orchestrating the composition in a simple way w/whatever software you already have on your computer. for sure what you have so far is a piece to be played on a keyboard. but, at the same time, it doesn't sound like it's totally and completely geared to the medium of piano only.

or, you could forget about orchestrating and check out more piano music to find, perhaps, other kinds of piano figurations (arpeggios, alberti bass, counterpoint or really anything that might give you more textural variety. i'm not saying what you've created NEEDS more variety. But it doesn't seem either that it's fixed in its texture. So why not create a few alternate views on the same material?

another thing you could do is l
earn to play it in a few or several different keys. in doing that, you'll probably move past what your hands can do to an area where your mind directs how you hear your composition.

most of all, i'd suggest stay w/what you have and look inside of it to see how to develop and improve it. you've used certain techniques w/which you're familiar to create the piece. so how can you ow build on and expand those techniques to get more out of them.

lastly, i'm proposing all above w/the idea tha you've notated the composition. if you haven't written it down, doing so will teach you a lot.

just as a general way to proceed, composers mostly generate some material and then they stay w/it to explore how they can best transform their ideas into a finished composition. the irony is sometimes the initial idea disappears but what replaces it may really be the idea you want.

as you can see all of my suggestions assume you have - in what you've presented in the recording- some sense of what yiu'd like to hear. so what i'm encouraging you to do is stick with what you have and commit to developing it into what you consider to be a gem.

you have a good composition in the works - it's just a question of whether or not you want to see it through to something that's even better and more personal. or start over again. each way has advantages.

hope this helps ...!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Alux, andwi, AndyG123, 24 invisible), 1361 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293096 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
Today at 04:08 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission