2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 236 of 540 1 2 234 235 236 237 238 539 540
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Whizbang
I spent about 25 years avoiding performing for anyone and it was among the worst possible things I could have done in terms of musicianship. I'm working hard now to undo a really strong mental block that's been built up for far too long.

Piano must be the only instrument where study isn't linked to an immediate performance. I guess I know a few composers with the same attitude. But e.g. a trumpeter plays in a band. What else?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Teodor
Today some composer played on the main square in my city. A huge crowd was gathered. He is some guy from Germany born in Italy and he has 9 albums. Similar in style to Eunaudi.

I asked him if I could play one of my compositions, it was a grand piano with an amplifier.

I sat and played, my feet were shacking uncontrollably by the time I was done. The crowd applauded me there was people everywhere behind me in front of me on the side, the piano could be heard from far far away, I finished in a very impressive manner with double octaves in chromatic order descending to the tonic and people seemed to love it. For me it's easy to play them fast but for someone who hasn't played it sounds very impressive.

Here is the guy, his name is Davide Martello, here is a picture I snapped:

[Linked Image]

That was a great experience! I am glad I had the courage to sit and play there.

I guess the huge crowd arrived later? :-)

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

No...those are just his groupies. smile
He is standing with the crowd.
Congrats Teodor!

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted by Teodor
Today some composer played on the main square in my city. A huge crowd was gathered. He is some guy from Germany born in Italy and he has 9 albums. Similar in style to Eunaudi.

I asked him if I could play one of my compositions, it was a grand piano with an amplifier.

I sat and played, my feet were shacking uncontrollably by the time I was done. The crowd applauded me there was people everywhere behind me in front of me on the side, the piano could be heard from far far away, I finished in a very impressive manner with double octaves in chromatic order descending to the tonic and people seemed to love it. For me it's easy to play them fast but for someone who hasn't played it sounds very impressive.

Here is the guy, his name is Davide Martello, here is a picture I snapped:

[Linked Image]

That was a great experience! I am glad I had the courage to sit and play there.

Hi, I knew someone would make a comment like this. So to answer your question, the huge crowd only gathered when I was playing then they went home. laugh laugh laugh

But seriously, I am standing in the crowd front there in this picture. And let's hope that we get older groupies next time.

Check out the guy though, his music is cool. Anyone could play a few tunes like I did but he plays for hours upon hours straight and well into the night when it's dark.

Last edited by Teodor; 06/04/13 01:09 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang
I spent about 25 years avoiding performing for anyone and it was among the worst possible things I could have done in terms of musicianship. I'm working hard now to undo a really strong mental block that's been built up for far too long.

You don't have to trot out every single piece you've worked on in the past two years, but if your friends won't listen to you perform a piece or two that you've been working on hard, they're not your friends. No matter whether your performance comes off or not.

And, honestly, they'll probably enjoy it and they'll be flattered you asked.

Music is hard enough. Don't impose unproductive and arbitrary limits on yourself.

You are so right Whizbang, I'll start this evening; a friend is coming for dinner, I'll ask her to arrive a bit earlier so I can play my recital pieces for her (little more than five minutes)!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Of course the huge crowd is sophisticated enough to stand on the open side of the piano for the best sound!
The small crowd went to the other side to get into the picture.

Learner

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Whizbang - that's the spirit! Great encouragement and look, Torquenale took the challenge almost instantly! Woohoo!

Teodor - that's pretty cool - it must have been fun!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by torquenale

I'll start this evening; a friend is coming for dinner, I'll ask her to arrive a bit earlier so I can play my recital pieces for her (little more than five minutes)!

Excellent!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
A
A
I feel elated. Today I practised 'properly', starting with 10 minutes of arpeggios that I need for pieces I'm working on, then focused sections of said pieces. 10 minutes of 'chord grips' for one song that I tend to fumble. 5 minutes of crazy hard left-hand double octave arpeggio for a previous recital piece. 10 minutes of practise on the hardest section of my Grieg piece. Finally, 35 minutes across two sessions on several parts of an Einaudi piece I started last week. It feels like I've accomplished so much in only a little over an hour!

Normally, I start with just playing a few older pieces before focussing on (sections of) one piece. It helps for warming up and keeping them in memory, but I don't always feel motivated to practise too much after it. Now I had time for technical work, and can still add half an hour of playing pieces if I want to.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Of course the huge crowd is sophisticated enough to stand on the open side of the piano for the best sound!
The small crowd went to the other side to get into the picture.

Hi the piano had an amplifier it could be heard everywhere, half a mile away. Today this guy moved to a more central location and even more people stopped by. You should have seen, people who walk down the street stop and gather around him and make pictures and videos.

He was also on national tv today. Several tv stations came to make a story on him for the news.

People who came did not want to leave, some even sat on the ground for hours listening to him. I've never seen this in my life before. People of all types were just drawn in to his music and it was magical.

Davide Martello, look him up.

Last edited by Teodor; 06/05/13 04:04 AM.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Whizbang - that's the spirit! Great encouragement and look, Torquenale took the challenge almost instantly! Woohoo!

And my friend told me she wanted me to play for her but didn't dare to ask!
My Scarlatti was not perfect, but a lot better than at the recital...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Recital #2 in 5 days is done!! Playing from memory Saturday made playing from the music tonight a piece of cake! I was hardly nervous at all. And that's a first!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Torquenale and Dynambot - congratulations on 2 important successes!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Teodor...sounds like a great event with the outdoor venue and the crowds enjoying piano as if they'd never heard one before. There is so much tech music that the beauty of an acoustic must just blow them away.
Congrats to Allard on a productive and satisfying practice/play session. Making those improvements just feels so good.
Whizbang, great suggestion for Torquenale...I'm betting Torq that you'll do great dinner hour performance. That will for sure get you past your nerves. Our public speaking students have nerves about speeches but that goes away with encouragement and repeated performance (my hope is that piano is the same process). PW gives us encouragement and we just have to take advantage of performance opportunities...Casinitaly has noted some and Jotur has a variety she participates in...I know there are others as well. It doesn't have to be a stage. AND it doesn't have to be flawless on the notes. Now...if I can just do the same myself.

My achievement is recovering quickly from the dismal performance of technical skills on my exam and moving on to new music. Another Bach, more of the Mozart sonatina, and some David Nueve for fun. Summerkeys first of July.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
M
M
Today, I finally finished learning all of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 5 in C minor, Op. 10 No. 1. Down to the fine-tuning stage. I had a heck of a time, and it's supposedly his 7th most difficult out of the 32. I could only imagine what the Hammerklavier would be like.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Theodor - congrats for your public performance experience. Not easy to do it spontaneously like that. You compose too, that's great.

WiseBuff - would love to hear everything about SummerKey. I'm so excited about it myself.

Dynamobt - congratulations on your successful performance at your recital. Thank you for sharing the happy news. Happiness is infectious.

Maestro57- Congratulation on your accomplishment. Completing any of Beethoven's s sonata is a daunting task. It is a beautiful sonata. Look forward to listening to a recording someday.

Not so much of achievement. I just have lots of stuff to do. Summer did not slow down things for me. My teacher recorded the piano 2 part of the sonata. I played with her yesterday and realized that I still have to up the speed for certain runs and keep the same "fast" tempo throughout the piece. I also have to brush up Bach prelude, Mendelssohn piece and Brahms (at least for the first two pages). I'm going to take them to SummerKey and may play them for our church. You all have a wonderful day.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I don't really have the time or the energy to catch up with everyone else's achievements right now (sorry about that! I'll get to you all tomorrow!).

I do have something to share that I'm pretty excited about. I got 90 out of 100 on my piano exam today.

I think I could have done even better, if I'd gotten in a little more practice this past week. I got none as it is, which reminds me: I need to go confess my sins on MOYD.

I also think that the grade I got reflects the level of effort I put in throughout the year pretty well, but it doesn't really reflect the quality of my performance today. Based on that, I should have gotten at least 10% less. Probably 15% less. I had a false start on my Grieg piece. Started over completely after measure 4 or 5 (I forgot which). And then there were the dozens of little imperfections.

The Burgmüller went pretty well, but way too slow.

Regardless, I got 90 out of 100, and even though it may lean more heavily on what I've been doing throughout the year than what I did at this one point in time, I think that's something to be proud of.

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats Saranoya. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You have worked hard and it paid off with a good grade as it should.

And congrats to Dynamobt on another successful recital. Doesn't it feel great to have that weight lifted?

I have really goofed off more than ever this week. Although I did get to the bench every day, it has mostly been scales, arps, and some trilling exercises. No lesson this week as my teacher is vacationing, so I've gone softly on starting the Scriabin. Want to make sure I get that 3 on 2 right from the start. The Canon is a really nice, interesting piece, so I am looking forward to it.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maestro57 - What a great achievement. thumb To play an entire Beethoven sonata is one of my dreams. How long have you been studying op.10-1? I just listened to the prestissimo Finale again....so beautiful...and sounds so difficult. You must have some real piano chops.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Regardless, I got 90 out of 100, and even though it may lean more heavily on what I've been doing throughout the year than what I did at this one point in time, I think that's something to be proud of.

WOOT! WOOT! that's great Sara. You shouldn't judge yourself so harshly, be proud of this as it's quite the AOTW girl. wow

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
Page 236 of 540 1 2 234 235 236 237 238 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission