Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2092723 - 05/31/13 09:03 AM Nocturne in F major - Original Composition
mpmusic Offline

Loc: Portugal
Hello,

This is my most recent composition for piano, a Nocturne in F major. I’m posting this here because I’m self-learning at piano and composition and if you could give some feedback it would be great.

I’ve the sheet music available for free download on my website.
[Op. 3 No. 2 - Nocturne in F major]

I know I may have used some uncommon notation but again, I have not a good background on music theory. I'm working on that.

Thanks in advance,
Miguel

"Music is the key to understand the universe..."

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2093027 - 05/31/13 05:45 PM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Hi and nice playing.

I read your score and listened to your playing of Nocturne in FM.

Immediately I noticed dissonance of 2nd interval throughout the piece, and this creates a problem. One example would be on measure 7, on the downbeat or the first beat, there is an A on the right hand and G on the left thus creating dissonance.

Dissonance should be avoided as much as possible.

Best

#2093035 - 05/31/13 06:02 PM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: Schubertslieder]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Schubertslieder
Hi and nice playing.

I read your score and listened to your playing of Nocturne in FM.

Immediately I noticed dissonance of 2nd interval throughout the piece, and this creates a problem. One example would be on measure 7, on the downbeat or the first beat, there is an A on the right hand and G on the left thus creating dissonance.

Dissonance should be avoided as much as possible.

I disagree vehemently. Dissonance is not to be avoided, resolved usually (but not always). Without dissonance Bach would lack the spice that makes his music so effective. In bar 7 the A can be heard as a ninth that resolves in the very next beat. That's essentially a suspension, except that the note is an octave lower in the previous bar. My advice is to do it more, similar to using parallel fifths. If you're going to use them do it a lot so that it's obviously intentional.

Your piece is nice, somewhat reminiscent of Chopin, somewhat different. I think if I were to compose a Nocturne I'd want to get farther from Chopin, otherwise it' sounds like pastiche.

#2093264 - 06/01/13 10:01 AM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
mpmusic Offline

Thank you for the suggestions! I have to agree with Steve. The dissonances, from what I’ve read so far, play an important role in the piece, they help to build tension that will eventually be resolved next.

This nocturne is somewhat reminiscent of Chopin its true. Chopin nocturnes are a big reference for me, some of them are among my favorite piano pieces ever. But now I'm begining to learn some Mozart and Bach and I guess it will be a good help to increase my "vocabulary" on composition smile

#2093337 - 06/01/13 01:28 PM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: mpmusic
Chopin nocturnes are a big reference for me, some of them are among my favorite piano pieces ever.

Even though you used a comma splice, you at least haven't called the nocturnes "songs" like so many ignorant young "musicians" nowadays. laugh

Polyphonist

#2093349 - 06/01/13 02:00 PM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: Polyphonist]
mpmusic Offline

That’s true, I see that happening a lot on youtube, in comments... I think it's an insult for such great masterpieces! But at least those people like to hear the music. There are lots of young people who don't listen to classical music and some of them say they don't like it! It's really strange shocked

Edited by mpmusic (06/01/13 02:01 PM)

#2093381 - 06/01/13 02:54 PM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

That’s true, I see that happening a lot on youtube, in comments... I think it's an insult for such great masterpieces!

Finally someone who gets it! And it's not only on Youtube, it's here as well - a specialized piano site! wink

There are lots of young people who don't listen to classical music and some of them say they don't like it! It's really strange shocked

There is no hope for these people. Just ignore them and let them listen to the trash music they enjoy. Meanwhile, you can enjoy the good music classical music.

Polyphonist

#2093846 - 06/02/13 10:35 AM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Congratulation on your composition, being a self-taught composer!
I do hope you find my post helpful.

In your composition, I do see leading tone never resolve and there are many places, not to mention augmented 5ths, thus dissonance.

It wouldn't hurt to look at your score more closely.

Good luck

#2094609 - 06/03/13 02:42 PM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
Michael Sayers Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms ln, Sverige
I heard enough here that was of interest (.e.g., the 3:17 - 4:00 section) that I downloaded all your available scores for a look.

Are you asking about notation or about the music?

If that section of time listed isn't a one off then I feel you should keep composing.

I might send an email later . . . (not a PM through pianoworld).

Mvh,
Michael

#2094752 - 06/03/13 06:11 PM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: Michael Sayers]
mpmusic Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers
I heard enough here that was of interest (.e.g., the 3:17 - 4:00 section) that I downloaded all your available scores for a look.

Are you asking about notation or about the music?

If that section of time listed isn't a one off then I feel you should keep composing.

I might send an email later . . . (not a PM through pianoworld).

Mvh,
Michael

Thank you smile I'm asking about the music but if you could give some advice about the notation it would be great. I think my problem is that I haven't good background on music theory. I play the piano more seriously since last year and in the guitar (I play since 2007) I badly read sheet music. So when I'm composing I've usually difficulties finding the way to represent in the sheet music what I exactly want and as I improve in playing technique I want to include more challenging parts in my compositions and I take lots of time to write what I want in the paper when the rhythm it’s a little more complex.

Because of that I usually in the difficult parts write with a “pseudo-notation” that means I write basically the notes without representing the rhythm and even the measures not well placed. And I of course have to remember the rhythm. Then when the piece is finished I try, in the notation software, to organize the everything in such way that sounds what I want.

#2096695 - 06/06/13 01:26 AM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: Polyphonist]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Chopin nocturnes are a big reference for me, some of them are among my favorite piano pieces ever.

Even though you used a comma splice, you at least haven't called the nocturnes "songs" like so many ignorant young "musicians" nowadays. laugh

Oh common smile nothing wrong with "songs".
Chanson! Better? (Sans Paroles)

#2096701 - 06/06/13 01:37 AM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: Hamburg-D]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: noambenhamou

The issue that some people (including me) have with it is that it's confusing to refer to everything as a "song," so it's impossible to tell whether you mean an actual vocal work or an instrumental composition.

Polyphonist

#2096709 - 06/06/13 01:55 AM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: Polyphonist]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Originally Posted By: noambenhamou

The issue that some people (including me) have with it is that it's confusing to refer to everything as a "song," so it's impossible to tell whether you mean an actual vocal work or an instrumental composition.

Believe me, I get what you're saying smile was just trying to be difficult smile

#2097556 - 06/06/13 11:23 PM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: mpmusic]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
What a lovely song!

In terms of composition, I think you lose the phrase with the odd 3-bar repeat, but the effect wasn't undesirable, so if it was intended, I would consider leaving it be.

At the andante before the recap.. have you considered a ritard with the andante starting at the recap? The sudden change coming out of the triplet phrasing might be softened that way. Otherwise, you really have to sell the fermata on the downbeat.

This one, take with a grain of salt, because it may steer you closer to Chopin rather than distancing yourself from him... but consider embellishing the recap. Do something different with it. I like the "return to home" feel, but if you can make it somehow appear different, it will sell a "catharsis" in the piece. Err, sorry, song. wink

#2097652 - 06/07/13 06:12 AM Re: Nocturne in F major - Original Composition [Re: Derulux]
mpmusic Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux

In terms of composition, I think you lose the phrase with the odd 3-bar repeat, but the effect wasn't undesirable, so if it was intended, I would consider leaving it be.

It was intended the 3-bar repeat.

At the andante before the recap.. have you considered a ritard with the andante starting at the recap? The sudden change coming out of the triplet phrasing might be softened that way. Otherwise, you really have to sell the fermata on the downbeat.

I agree with to selling the fermata smile

This one, take with a grain of salt, because it may steer you closer to Chopin rather than distancing yourself from him... but consider embellishing the recap. Do something different with it. I like the "return to home" feel, but if you can make it somehow appear different, it will sell a "catharsis" in the piece. Err, sorry, song. wink

I thought about that and maybe I will do it when I decide to review it and in my future compositions.

Thanks for the suggestions! smile And I forgive you for call it "song" :P

Miguel

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
09/16/14 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
09/16/14 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
09/16/14 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
09/16/14 04:56 PM
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
09/16/14 04:03 PM
Who's Online
115 registered (accordeur, AZ_Astro, alans, 36251, Anne'sson, 35 invisible), 1234 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157570 Topics
2314492 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission