Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2097239 - 06/06/13 07:08 PM Blues Piano Books
montunoman Offline

There seems to be plenty of blues piano books out there! I'm looking for a book of great RH licks. I have a good command of a few LH patterns like a walking bass and booggie. I'd just like to add some RH licks to play over what my LH can already do... Maybe a book that has riffs that can be played over the whole 12 bars and also licks that work over the I, IV or V chords. I'm not interested in learning tunes- just licks! I'd like a book that comes with a CD. I guess I'm old fashioned- I don't care for videos and onine subscription courses. Any recomendations?

Edited by montunoman (06/06/13 07:10 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#2097826 - 06/07/13 12:07 PM Re: Blues Piano Books [Re: montunoman]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
The Blues Scales by Dan Greenblatt (http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Scales-Essential-Tools-Improvising/dp/1883217385/). Practical application of minor and major blues over the changes.

Or you could also get my book "Understanding Harmony ... volume 1" - pages 57+ cover Pentatonic and Blues scales. Volume 2 shows how to improvise in a diatonic context and how to use Blues scales in that context. (www.amazon.com/Understanding-Implementing-Harmony-Piano-Diatonic/dp/0988511622/)

If you listen to people experienced in playing the Blues, they don't just use a single blues scale over all the changes. They change it, so you need to learn which scales are appropriate for which chords and keys.

Edited by Michael Martinez (06/07/13 12:13 PM)

#2097911 - 06/07/13 02:02 PM Re: Blues Piano Books [Re: montunoman]
RonL Offline

Blues Piano by Tim Richard is a great resource - though it covers a lot of lh patterns. The Mark Harrison Blues Piano book is good too. There is a series of books dedicated to just licks out there by Andrew...can't think of his last name - 1000 blues licks every pianist should know or 100 of the funkiest piano riffs ever. I have a couple - they come with a cd but the patterns are hit or miss and there is no logic to the organization - or very little. Includes a lot of LH patterns.

Though not strictly a blues book I love the David Baker BeBop books - I spent a year going over the first one - every day I took a pattern and played it through every key and inserted it into whatever song I was working on. The first volume covers the bebop scales.

#2097946 - 06/07/13 03:09 PM Re: Blues Piano Books [Re: montunoman]
KurtZ Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
This will get you started while you wait for books to arrive.

30 must have blues licks from easy to advanced.

I really like National Guitar Workshop's 3 book series: Beginning Blues Keyboards, Intermediate Blues Keyboard and Mastering Blues Keyboards. They have songs in that most of the exercises are immediately followed by an application of the exercise to a chord progression. I think it's very well thought out and gets hip sounding very fast. You can see a few pages at Amazon. It's distributed by Alfred and easy to find with and without a CD.

Kurt

#2098729 - 06/08/13 06:38 PM Re: Blues Piano Books [Re: montunoman]
PianoHarry Offline

Loc: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Books are great but your ears are better. If everyone learned their licks and solos by ear there would be no need for jazz conservatories.

Honestly, transcribing is hard, but you will notice immediate results. After learning one lick by transcribing it you will notice; that that lick is more solidly under your fingers than any you learned from a book. That your ear and your hand have a closer relationship, ie that you will know better how things will sound before you play them. A must for the improviser. You will probably pick up things like a nuance in the performer's technique that you wouldn't get from the printed page.

This is not to say that there isn't a place for the printed lick. There is. They are invaluable for studying how the solo relates to the chords. And for learning a lot of licks really quickly.

But to truly get the feel of blues&jazz in your ear, heart and fingers, you can't beat transcribing.

If you need any help transcribing ( any PW folk ) I am happy to oblige. Just ask.
Cheers

#2098772 - 06/08/13 07:50 PM Re: Blues Piano Books [Re: PianoHarry]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoHarry
Books are great but your ears are better. If everyone learned their licks and solos by ear there would be no need for jazz conservatories.

Honestly, transcribing is hard, but you will notice immediate results.
But to truly get the feel of blues&jazz in your ear, heart and fingers, you can't beat transcribing.

Yes, yes, and yes.

All the Blues people whose licks you may want to learn did not learn from books.

They learned the hard way by careful and repetitive listening, and, to solidify what they learned, by transcribing.

Excellent post.

ps...even if you learn a lick from a book, which is fine, you still have to listen to the music to place it correctly.

I have had several students learn a lick or two, and then be stymied as to where to place it in the rhythm.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, Almaviva, accordeur, ajames, 45 invisible), 1747 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75515 Members
42 Forums
156157 Topics
2293221 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
3 minutes 59 seconds ago
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
12 minutes 17 seconds ago
Best Keyboard/Piano 600 light up keys
by barabusm
23 minutes 53 seconds ago
July Concert Program - Performance Thread
by hreichgott
25 minutes 4 seconds ago
Recommend me a setup for jamming at home
by Gretel
25 minutes 59 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission