2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 132 of 207 1 2 130 131 132 133 134 206 207
Mark_C #2096549 06/05/13 10:17 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Eduard Hanslick
Making the semi-finals in the Chopin Competition is a very high achievement, and marks a pianist as a top-notch Chopin player. You didn't know that?
You know, your personal attacks are really tiresome.

That was a personal attack??

I was just responding to your post that tried to imply that her not making the finals of that event meant they felt she didn't play Chopin well.

I did not try to imply that at all. What I implied (and what the judges certainly implied) was that Khozyainov played Chopin BETTER.

And yes, I read (present tense) "You didn't know that?" as quite rude, and personal, because you used the word "you," aiming it at me. It reads as, "What are you, stupid?"

Brendan #2096552 06/05/13 10:18 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I had to look it up. Musical Academy of the West.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
DameMyra #2096555 06/05/13 10:21 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DameMyra
I had to look it up. Musical Academy of the West.

Thank you! smile
(I tried to look it up too, but came up blank.)

Brendan #2096561 06/05/13 10:25 PM
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
...also known as the BEST summer festival! Both fnork and I went there, though at different times.

wr #2096562 06/05/13 10:27 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
....and - let's face it - a little ancy.

The word is spelt "antsy".

Sorry about that. I just looked it (ancy) up and it said "common misspelling of antsy." ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Why not cleanse the jury each year and have judges who have NO students in the competition, and who have NOT adjudicated it before. Don't tell me Cliburn can't find OTHER than the regulars each year. I just don't get it. Do these judges, most of whom are repeats, have a monopoly in this universe. I love Pressler and all, but please let's just have a clean slate.

A
A
Making the semi-finals in the Chopin Competition is a very high achievement, and marks a pianist as a top-notch Chopin player. You didn't know that?
You know, your personal attacks are really tiresome.

That was a personal attack??

I was just responding to your post that tried to imply that her not making the finals of that event meant they felt she didn't play Chopin well.

I did not try to imply that at all. What I implied (and what the judges certainly implied) was that Khozyainov played Chopin BETTER.

So that implies that in the present competition, the judges think that Dong played her chosen repertoire better than Khozyainov played his, and their opinion is valid even if we disagree. Is that the end of it then?

Student and shamefully occasional pianist
Currently attempting:
Rachmaninoff - Preludes op. 23 nos. 4 and 7
Deciding between Mozart K. 310 and Beethoven op. 10 no. 3
Albeniz - Almeria from Iberia book II
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Let's hope so.

I'm looking forward to hearing Chen's Rachmaninoff and Rana's Beethoven.

Regards,

Polyphonist
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I obviously posted my last comment in the wrong place.. sorry about that, very confusing sometimes over here. .but I am listening to Sakata, (a retro recital) and I just can't connect with his playing, not even moments. He is a percussive player in music that doesn't need such an approach. And he seems to be at an arm's length from the music.. distant emotionally. I might have to turn this off, because it offends my ears.. Compared to Deljavan and Huangci... it pales.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
David Dubal just ended tonight's The Piano Matters with this quote from Oval Dreams by Brian Matthews:

Some years ago I was at a committee meeting where one of the group suddenly launched upon one of the other members an astounding onslaught of abuse, vilification, and loathing from which only failing breath and imminent seizure caused him to desist. It was in fact my first experience of academic debate. The chairman, visibly shaken by the vehemence of this tirade, offered the right of reply to the person attacked, who then spoke as follows: "Mr Chairman, I did not say what I said with the specific and deliberate intention of reducing my colleague to spluttering apoplexy; that this has in fact happened I can only regard as a bonus."

Somehow it seemed apropos in light of where this thread has gone.

Last edited by DameMyra; 06/05/13 11:15 PM. Reason: Obvious dyslexia.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I think this thread needs to be locked until the performances start tomorrow evening.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
A
Originally Posted by music32
I obviously posted my last comment in the wrong place.. sorry about that, very confusing sometimes over here. .but I am listening to Sakata, (a retro recital) and I just can't connect with his playing, not even moments. He is a percussive player in music that doesn't need such an approach. And he seems to be at an arm's length from the music.. distant emotionally. I might have to turn this off, because it offends my ears.. Compared to Deljavan and Huangci... it pales.

Funny... and I was just listening to him and realizing how much I actually like his playing/programming, except for his Rach sonata and Schumann quintet which unfortunately were the last selections I heard him play.

Last edited by ansatz737; 06/05/13 11:10 PM.

Student and shamefully occasional pianist
Currently attempting:
Rachmaninoff - Preludes op. 23 nos. 4 and 7
Deciding between Mozart K. 310 and Beethoven op. 10 no. 3
Albeniz - Almeria from Iberia book II
C
C
Anybody else notice that you can click on a button labeled "profiles" in the on-demand video section, but no results come up? What is "profiles" supposed to be, like a bio?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CleverName
Anybody else notice that you can click on a button labeled "profiles" in the on-demand video section, but no results come up? What is "profiles" supposed to be, like a bio?

Yeah, and their competition repertoire and things.

The schedule for concerto performances is as follows:

Thursday at 7:30 - Rana's Beethoven 3, Mndoyants' Prokofiev 2, Dong's Rachmaninov 3

Friday at 7:30 - Sakata's Mozart 20, Chen's Beethoven 5, Kholodenko's Prokofiev 3

Saturday at 7:30 - Mndoyants' Mozart 20, Dong's Beethoven 4, Rana's Prokofiev 2

Sunday at 3:00 - Kholodenko's Mozart 21, Sakata's Tchaikovsky 1, Chen's Rachmaninov 3

Regards,

Polyphonist
C
C

Thursday at 7:30 - Rana's Beethoven 3, Mndoyants' Prokofiev 2, Dong's Rachmaninov 3

Friday at 7:30 - Sakata's Mozart 20, Chen's Beethoven 5, Kholodenko's Prokofiev 3

Sunday at 3:00 - Kholodenko's Mozart 21, Sakata's Tchaikovsky 1, Chen's Rachmaninov 3

I'm talking about in the on-demand video app, not just on the website...

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

What information are you looking for?

Regards,

Polyphonist
C
C

Nothing in particular, was just wondering what it was...why is the button there with no videos listed under it? Seems peculiar...

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Nothing in particular, was just wondering what it was...why is the button there with no videos listed under it? Seems peculiar...

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but my guess is that there were videos on it before, and the videos were removed but they didn't want to reconfigure the app to remove the button.

Regards,

Polyphonist
C
C

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but my guess is that there were videos on it before, and the videos were removed but they didn't want to reconfigure the app to remove the button.

Go to https://www.cliburn.org/ondemand.html and look at the left side of the page; this is where you watch all the archived performances, yes? There's a button that says "Profiles" under the Featurettes. It's the only button that doesn't show anything in the filter when you click it.

....I was glad to be able to order a score of the commissioned piece through the composer's website. ALTHOUGH....would you feel comfortable ordering anything from a site that has THIS:

Opus 125 Pulishing - Theofanidis

I wondered if maybe "Pulishing" is the name of one of his pieces. But it looks like no -- it's just what it seems to be. Hopefully the scores don't have many mistakes like that. But, we might say, with that kind of music, how would we ever know.... ha

Just got the score, immediately saw one probable misprint. [Linked Image]
(forgetting to put a brief clef change)
To make sure, I'm asking the publisher (which seems to be directly through the composer), but it seems pretty definite. And it would be fun to go back and see which of these players caught it, and which didn't, if any. I'd guess they all did.

Just curious -- anyone have an impression of how common this is with new music?

I'm worried mainly about all those fast-note 'riffs,' especially with the 2 hands together.
BTW it seems like everybody is NAILING those. And it doesn't even seem to be any big deal for them.

Originally Posted by Brendan
It looks like it's just stepwise (2-3-4) licks on white keys - easy stuff!

Absolutely right. I didn't imagine that it's all just on white keys -- but that's just what they all are. I wouldn't say it's exactly "easy" (not for someone like me anyway) ha ....but it's not anything like what I thought.

Page 132 of 207 1 2 130 131 132 133 134 206 207

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission