Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2100533 - 06/10/13 06:19 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: RickG1]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RickG1
Noam,
You said when you traded your "B" for a "D", they gave you full value for the "B". Then, you said they would not negotiate the price on the new "D", right? Does that mean that when you trade up you cannot deal first on the new piano before talking trade? Sounds like some car dealers I know. I am just trying to understand their trade up policy at S & S.

Unfortunately it seems as if the piano business is extremely similar to the car business. Just because pianos are used to play beautiful music, the sales aspect of piano is no different than any other negotiable high end item such as mattresses, cars, diamonds etc.

Most piano salesmen and store owners do not play piano very well so you can not expect they would know a good piano if one hit them in the face! The problem is that they talk about pianos as if they were Polini.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule!!!!!
Basically, if a dealer sells Steinway, they will talk up Steinway. Next month when they loose their right to sell steinways, they will bash Steinway and sell you a fazioli as the best instrument.

If I had to so it all over again I would have played hard ball with the dealer. They would have no problem sleeping at night if you paid them 100k for a B. just like most car salesmen would have no problem selling a new Honda accord for 10k over msrp if there was an idiot dumb enough to pay it.

In the case of pianos, I'm the idiot. I bought full msrp and now I want some service and care but the money was already exchanged. Business is business.

So to answer your question, if you negotiate a price, then bring your trade, all bets are off. Just like a car dealership. I think always better to sell private party.

Edited by noambenhamou (06/10/13 06:30 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2100538 - 06/10/13 06:25 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted By: noambenhamou
Got a call back from Steinway corporate. The upgrade policy is only when you go from Boston to Steinway.

You said that you received full value when you traded from a 'B' to a 'D." To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a Boston-B. Then, how can the trade up only be for Boston and is the Essex also excluded?

Essex included. Sorry and thanks for clarification.

I received full value for my B yes. But it was my local dealer being "nice".
So they gave me around 80k credit and I had to she'll put another 60k.
Given the fact that the dealer gets a new D from Steinway at wholesale cost of around 65k, and they sold my used B for probably 65k, I think they did pretty well.
It only takes 1 idiot per month to keep a piano store open. So I did my civil duties and helped out the economy a little tiny bit, but now it's time to find a good deal on a hamburg.

#2100568 - 06/10/13 07:21 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Through the replies and PM's I have been provided phone numbers for very reputable technicians
3) Steinways in general need about 1 year for the soundboard to "drop". Only then, the true nature of the instrument will be presented.

If you're in LA, I hope the names-Richard Davenport, Ed Whiting, Alan Cate, Ron Elliott, or Teri Meredyth were mentioned. smile

I bought my piano from a private seller being only 8 months old. I'd say it took a good 3 years of pro tunning, regulation, voicing and many hours of "just playing it in" for me to be happy with it. Often, I wanted my '97 Yamaha S6 back which I had sold to help fund the D. It was very hard being patient, waiting and hoping for *if* and *when*.. wink

Not to drudge up your old thread but I recall you said the no tech could make a difference..or something to that effect. If you are in the LA area, I highly recommend getting in touch with one of those people no matter what piano you end up with. They are the best !

Alan has been my main tuner and tech since day 1. Ed did some magical, out of this world regulation and voicing that really turned the piano around.

Ron is the main tech at Disney Hall so he's very busy. Richard is simply as good as it can possibly get and if I lived on the Westside, he would be my guy. Teri is busy with Royce Hall but does private stuff too, she's great !

Best with it all.

#2100578 - 06/10/13 07:39 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Dave Ferris]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Through the replies and PM's I have been provided phone numbers for very reputable technicians
3) Steinways in general need about 1 year for the soundboard to "drop". Only then, the true nature of the instrument will be presented.

If you're in LA, I hope the names-Richard Davenport, Ed Whiting, Alan Cate, Ron Elliott, or Teri Meredyth were mentioned. smile

I bought my piano from a private seller being only 8 months old. I'd say it took a good 3 years of pro tunning, regulation, voicing and many hours of "just playing it in" for me to be happy with it. Often, I wanted my '97 Yamaha S6 back which I had sold to help fund the D. It was very hard being patient, waiting and hoping for *if* and *when*.. wink

Not to drudge up your old thread but I recall you said the no tech could make a difference..or something to that effect. If you are in the LA area, I highly recommend getting in touch with one of those people no matter what piano you end up with. They are the best !

Alan has been my main tuner and tech since day 1. Ed did some magical, out of this world regulation and voicing that really turned the piano around.

Ron is the main tech at Disney Hall so he's very busy. Richard is simply as good as it can possibly get and if I lived on the Westside, he would be my guy. Teri is busy with Royce Hall but does private stuff too, she's great !

Best with it all.

Thanks Mr. Ferris for that reply. I'll keep those names for my record.
It is very nice to hear that you had a similar experience as me with a newer D. Lets me know I'm not alone. Also nice to have your kind of patience to actually wait for the piano to mature with the proper care.
It's kind of strange, but I've never played a D that wasn't pretty nice unless it was horribly abused - and there are some of those too.
This strengthen my opinion that the new D's are a completely different animals than the rest of the pianos. They need time to settle in. I think this may be because the New Yorks have soft hammers and the only "good" way to harden them is with continues playing and allowing the hammers to compress hitting the strings a million times... Pooring loads of laquer on a new D to bring the sound out does not seem to be the proper way to brighten the sound to produce a nice tone with capabilities of a wide dynamic range. But it's awesome to hear that even my piano after I will sell it, will end up being a great instrument. But as for myself, I don't want to wait and suffer the "ifs" and "whens". Too much gamble for me I'm afraid.

Again - thanks for the names you have mentioned. I'm always looking for the best technicians for the job. These pianos need to be maintained properly and I totally get that.

Kind regards,
Noam

#2100585 - 06/10/13 07:51 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Quote:
Unfortunately it seems as if the piano business is extremely similar to the car business.

Oh, I think it's much more dangerous than the car business! smile

If you pay MSRP to the car dealership, you probably lose no more than ten to fifteen percent from what you could have paid if you were a decent researcher and negotiator. In the piano business, you could pay thirty to fifty percent more than you need to. In the Steinway case, however, the average customer pays closer to MSRP than on many other models, so the extent to which you were taken to the proverbial cleaner is probably less than if you paid MSRP on most Japanese or German pianos.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2100606 - 06/10/13 08:19 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
It only takes 1 idiot per month to keep a piano store open.

A Steinway store perhaps..... grin

#2100609 - 06/10/13 08:23 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

3 days ago I bought a new yamaha upright piano because I haven't played piano in about 9 months and I absolutely love the bright sound it makes! For what it is, it's a great instrument.

A Yamaha U1 - correct? Glad to hear you are playing again !!

#2100616 - 06/10/13 08:41 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
SBP Offline

Personally, I suggest you calm down. I had the opportunity to play a New York B and a Hamburg B at a Steinway retailer, and the differences are negligible. There were minor differences in styling and tone, but nothing a good tech couldn't resolve. I'm sorry, but I really couldn't see that many differences.

And really, in all honesty, it's more of a "grass is greener on the other side" sorta thing, where every other piano you play has more appeal than the one you own, even when you have the best to begin with. Or maybe it's just extra snooty obsessive pianists making stuff up to distance themselves from those uncultured New York Steinway-owning proles and justify the price bump. Who knows?

#2100659 - 06/10/13 10:25 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
May I suggest that you call Steinway Hall-NYC and ask specifically to be connected with their Concert and Artist division. They supplied a very fine S&S-Hamburg-D for the, just ended, Cliburn Competition and you could ask when it would be available for sale.

To hear this particular instrument, go to the following site and scroll down and check the box for Vadym Kholodenko. In all but one of his performances he chose the C&A-Hamburg. In his performance of the Profofiev Concerto No. 3 he chose the C&A-American.

2013 Cliburn Competition Performances

There were two Hamburg and two American S&S-D's for the contestants to choose from. Sampling different performers will allow you to compare the four very diverse and distinct instruments.

During the competition I was following and analyzing the pianos very carefully. I started a thread about the topic and it can be viewed here:

2013 Competition Piano Discussion

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2100664 - 06/10/13 10:37 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

May I suggest that you call Steinway Hall-NYC and ask specifically to be connected with their Concert and Artist division. They supplied a very fine S&S-Hamburg-D for the, just ended, Cliburn Competition and you could ask when it would be available for sale.

To hear this particular instrument, go to the following site and scroll down and check the box for Vadym Kholodenko. In all but one of his performances he chose the C&A-Hamburg. In his performance of the Profofiev Concerto No. 3 he chose the C&A-American.

2013 Cliburn Competition Performances

There were two Hamburg and two American S&S-D's for the contestants to choose from. Sampling different performers will allow you to compare the four very diverse and distinct instruments.

During the competition I was following and analyzing the pianos very carefully. I started a thread about the topic and it can be viewed here:

2013 Competition Piano Discussion

Thank you Marty. As previously mentioned in my previous thread, I put in a call to the Texas S&S dealer asking just this - the sale of the Hamburg piano after the concert.

I appreciate all the responses but out of respect for the Moderator and in agreement that the previous thread is closed for a good reason, I hope we no longer discuss my issues with the current NY D and my eager search for a Hamburg. If anytime I have a new piece of information that I may need advice regarding, I'll ask the Moderator for permission to re-open the topic, or to post a new one. I want to be mindful of this forum and not hog the threads by irritating alot of people with what seems to be a spoiled brat's endless search for the perfect instrument.

I think we have learned from this topic the fact that Steinway does NOT provide an upgrade policy within the Steinway brand. Only from it's off brands of Boston / Essex to the Steinway brand.

Thanks again for everyone who shared their input regarding this topic.

#2100671 - 06/10/13 10:47 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I think we have learned from this topic the fact that Steinway does NOT provide an upgrade policy within the Steinway brand. Only from it's off brands of Boston / Essex to the Steinway brand.

We have not learned that at all. Not two years ago a former student upgraded from and 'M' to a 'B.' He was granted full cost trade in, for the upgrade, in accordance with the program. The 'M' was two years old. It is not just for their entry brands.

#2100673 - 06/10/13 10:48 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Please forgive me for trying to be helpful.

#2100677 - 06/10/13 10:52 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Please forgive me for trying to be helpful.

no, no. Don't take it like that. so do you think I should still research some more the upgrade policy? S&S called me directly today and said it only applies for owners of Boston/Essex to upgrade for full value of the trade. Perhaps I should keep perusing that route so I don't have to sell my NY D at such a huge loss?

#2100680 - 06/10/13 10:59 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

The problem is that Steinway does not consider a trade for a "D" with a "D" to be an "upgrade." Especially with the sales costs "here" as opposed to "there." I tried to explain that difference and you just blew it off.

Many of us have tried to help, but all you do is counter with excuses. It's not worth trying to open a closed mind.

I do hope you enjoy the muddle you have created for yourself as that appears to be what you enjoy.

#2100683 - 06/10/13 11:04 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Man. You are really testing my patience smile I won't insult you but you are being very rude.

I apologize for not understanding what you were saying regarding import tax, shipping costs etc. I as a buyer would obviously be responsible for those costs being me who wants a piano from out if the country. I was simply stating that base msrp on a hamburg is greater than that of a NY and that's why I thought it would be eligible because its of "greater value".

If you don't like my post, simply skip it please. I kindly ask you quit harassing me. Thank you.

#2100686 - 06/10/13 11:06 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
no, no. Don't take it like that. so do you think I should still research some more the upgrade policy? S&S called me directly today and said it only applies for owners of Boston/Essex to upgrade for full value of the trade. Perhaps I should keep perusing that route so I don't have to sell my NY D at such a huge loss?

You know, I probably shouldn't get involved in this discussion, but I will... smile

It seems to me that you've already been granted the S&S upgrade opportunity once, when you traded your B for the D; the dealer you dealt with is now closed. I'm thinking there are limits to any such upgrade policy, regardless of the brand/company.

How often are you allowed to do this?

Yes, I think more research on your part is in order, but I'm not so sure you will get better advice than you've gotten here on PW already.

There is a Steinway rep that posts here on occasion, Bob Snyder(?); maybe he could chime in with some advice/comments.

And, FWIW, you already have a top-of-the-line piano; Wow!

Don't worry, be happy!!!! Okay, who was it that made that saying famous. smile

Rick

#2100696 - 06/10/13 11:47 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
I know someone on here is probably thinking why did you pay full MSRP price? I bet there aren't many people who could afford those pianos to begin with and I can tell you with certainty that no music personalities would ever do that. I know what happens when we build a shell for a personality... Before I even get paid the manufacturer of whichever high end keyboard or controller has to recognize the endorsement.

These companies either recognize it or the bands wont use their stuff so they get these huge price breaks. I always thought well with several platinum albums they just buy instruments when the truth is the more famous they are the greater the price break.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2100701 - 06/11/13 12:03 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue
I know someone on here is probably thinking why did you pay full MSRP price?

Well, why do some people pay 2.99 for the same gallon of milk they can buy the same brand at walmart for 1.99?

Am I really the only person who has ever purchased a piano at full retail price?

I knew that pianos were negotiable, but some times it can be advantageous not to haggle too much. If you went to a used car dealership and bought a 2000 toyota corola and haggled the living soul out of the dealer from $5000 to $3000 when you have a problem with your engine 2 weeks later, I doubt they would be willing to help.

Steinway is not a used car dealership, so especially with them, I was thinking that while I'm paying MSRP, I would be appreciated as a customer. We will find out soon enough if I am or not. I think if my Steinway dealer was still in business, I would be well taken care of because they always have took care of me pretty well. But now that they are gone, I'm sort of left hanging.
Again, I think if Sherman Clay was still open the manager there would really work with me at making me happy. He would call into corporate and try to make something happen for me to select from Germany. I called him the other day but in reality that was not nice for me and put him in an odd situation because he's not the Steinway dealer anymore. He told me to contact steinway directly.

Edited by noambenhamou (06/11/13 12:12 AM)

#2100725 - 06/11/13 01:19 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Man. You are really testing my patience smile

You are testing ours, too....
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2100731 - 06/11/13 01:41 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Why are you so angry Beethoven? Take a deep breath, do some yoga, play some mozart. It's good for you smile

#2100737 - 06/11/13 02:02 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Why are you so angry Beethoven? Take a deep breath, do some yoga, play some mozart. It's good for you smile

I'm not angry. Just annoyed. And somewhat perplexed.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2100739 - 06/11/13 02:09 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris

For the record, it's Ed Whitting- apologies Ed. blush .

As the great jazz pianist/composer/bandleader Toshiko Akiyoshi once said-all we have as jazz artists is our name. The least someone writing about us can do is get it right.. wink

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Don't worry, be happy!!!! Okay, who was it that made that saying famous. smile

That would be Bobby McFerrin.. cool And although I'm sure he's thankful for the wide popular appeal that DWBH brought, he'd much rather be appreciated for his more serious musical endeavors...which are quite numerous.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.. smile

#2100746 - 06/11/13 02:26 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmmmm. I don't know how to help you with this. Perhaps some Bach?

I think you are annoyed because I'm complaining about a NY Steinway D and you feel like I should appreciate this fine instrument and worship it rather than complain how I'm unhappy with it.

A piano is a "want". Not a "need". All of us who own a piano have a luxury that is considered a "spare" or "excess" of money. Whether you have a used upright piano or a brand new bechstein, we are all guilty of having excess of resource to some extent.

The part that is irritating you is that my funds afford me a an expensive piano. I can't make this sound not snobbish but there are probably many people here with expensive pianos. In my personal opinion any piano over 15k is excessive.

But we all I think have passion for music and the instrument which acts as a proxy for producing the sound, so we all take our excess resources to afford this luxury.

This excess in luxury may not be as simple as it may seam. Some may buy a piano on payments, some may choose to not own a car and ride a bicycle in order to afford this luxury. Whatever the person's personal means are, we are all making a stretch and a sacrifice.

In my case, a piano is one of the most important things. So whatever most people save and save for a down payment for a house, I put a piano above a house as a priority. In other words, I would be happy living in a box as long as I can have my dream piano.

So please do not assume that I haven't scraped and saved every penny while friends are blowing money on drinks, drugs, gambling and meaningless things while I saved for my childhood dream piano. So excuse me if I am the one slightly frustrated because I have played steinways that were better and that was my expectation in a brand new one. Hence the reason for my posts. Should I have gone for an older D? Is there a quality control issue? Asking for opinions...

Can you understand this? Perhaps a bit of background could have helped before I posted that I bought a new D and I don't like it and for that I apologize.

Edited by noambenhamou (06/11/13 02:27 AM)

#2100794 - 06/11/13 04:51 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada

A piano is a "want". Not a "need".
All of us who own a piano have a luxury that is considered a "spare" or "excess" of money. Whether you have a used upright piano or a brand new bechstein, we are all guilty of having excess of resource to some extent.

hello n ...

it's wonderful when piano becomes a want, a desire ...
and those that really want it
it becomes a need
sometime or other

what's with the guilt ?

#2100872 - 06/11/13 10:43 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

But we all I think have passion for music and the instrument which acts as a proxy for producing the sound, so we all take our excess resources to afford this luxury.

Well said! I am reminded of Perri Knize's book about a piano odyssey, Grand Obsession. Indeed if you haven't read it yet, you owe it to yourself to do so immediately! Perri posts here as piqué.

See also http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2084784/1.html

#2100876 - 06/11/13 10:55 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Minnesota Marty]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

We have not learned that at all. Not two years ago a former student upgraded from and 'M' to a 'B.' He was granted full cost trade in, for the upgrade, in accordance with the program. The 'M' was two years old. It is not just for their entry brands.

I did a quick search on the web. The vast majority of sites discuss the upgrade policy specifically as it relates to Boston and Essex. Other sites refer to "Steinway-designed" pianos (which is a little vague) and only two sites I found referred specifically to all three brands. And then there's the guy from the Steinway corporate office who told the OP by phone that the policy only applied to Boston and Essex. Quite frankly, I don't give a rip what Steinway's policy is - because I'm sure it is ultimately intended to benefit the dealer rather than the customer. Nor should we chastise the OP for believing what he was told by the Steinway rep. But yes - it is useful to know that the policy does, in fact, apply to real Steinways purchased through an authorized Steinway dealer. It should be pointed out, however, that the trade up option must be exercised with a specific time period after the initial purchase (seems to be 10 years, but I've also seen five years mentioned).

#2100882 - 06/11/13 11:06 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hmmmm. So excuse me if I am the one slightly frustrated because I have played steinways that were better and that was my expectation in a brand new one. Hence the reason for my posts. Should I have gone for an older D? Is there a quality control issue? Asking for opinions...

Probably the best thing to do now is sell your D (which I know you are working on, and will probably take a few months), and TAKE YOUR TIME is searching for either a new or older instrument. Eventually you'll find one you fall in love with - and it might not even be a Steinway. In the meantime, learn some new repertoire on your Yamaha. smile

And remember, it sometimes takes awhile for an instrument to find its voice. "New from the factory" doesn't always equate to "perfect." Sometimes it takes some work to fully reveal the inherent quality of an instrument.

Edited by carey (06/11/13 11:13 AM)

#2100901 - 06/11/13 12:24 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
How is it possible to spend over a hundred grand on a piano and not be happy with it? Is it that Mr. N bought a model D without trying it first? If he did test it and liked it could it be that the room it is in now has bad acoustics? Further why all the speculation on Steinway's trade up policy without anyone calling Steinway in New York to clarify? When I bought my Hamburg Model D (pre-owned) from Steinway Hall I was told it could be traded up for a piano of greater value. So if I wanted one that costs more (because its newer) I should be given full purchase price trade in which by now would be a great deal for S&S. Since there is no model E it means I can trade a D for a D. Since I have no desire to trade it in this is all academic. BTW while I own a Hamburg I have played lots of NY D's I would be perfectly content with. The model D's do vary so it is important indeed to find one that suits you before you buy it.

#2100905 - 06/11/13 12:30 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Noam,

"... while friends are blowing money on drinks, drugs, gambling and meaningless things..."

Don't you dare let those people anywhere near your new piano!

I have to applaud your passion and zeal for all this. I feel exactly the same way myself, and I never apologize to anybody for it. People who look down on me because of it don't get invited to my concerts.

xoxo

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2100907 - 06/11/13 12:35 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Laguna:

Sharing same. thumb

Quote:
When I bought my Hamburg Model D (pre-owned) from Steinway Hall I was told it could be traded up for a piano of greater value.

Really? I would be curious what that could have been?
Why were representations made to "trade up" from a 9' Hamburg?
To "what" ?

Curious....

Norbert

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
95 registered (Anticlock, anotherscott, AlanSanDiego, 32 invisible), 1157 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157224 Topics
2309205 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blac
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
09/01/14 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
09/01/14 11:32 PM
soviet upright piano "LIRICS"
by Maximillyan
09/01/14 11:22 PM
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
09/01/14 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission