Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2101200 - 06/11/13 09:11 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: jazzyprof]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
Lovely piano playing. Fabbrini, Schmabbrini, Pollini can make any piano sound great.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2101284 - 06/12/13 01:18 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: noambenhamou

I think I will call the uk and find out for myself instead of relying on these "sources".

You might also want to talk to PW member Serge Marinkovic. Apparently he bought his Hamburg D new in London and had it shipped to the US.
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2100768

#2101475 - 06/12/13 01:33 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Minnesota Marty]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Marty,

I don't know how my old department arranged the terms of sale. I do know that the showroom shipped directly to them from London, and our department tech's put it together and did all the prep work. Four of our faculty went for a week to pick it out (what a punishment). I believe that the university purchasing agent negotiated all the terms before the faculty went to London.

As to the others, the one guy bought it new in London off the showroom floor. But I think he might have arranged the shipping himself. The other I don't know anything about the shipping but the buyer, an American and a non-resident of France, did buy it new from a dealer and brought it to America with her.

So, wow. You can't just go to London today and buy a Hamburg and have it shipped here? How parental and Machiavellian. Are the Astoria and Hamburg shops not under the same corporate umbrella? Is the American division trying to increase sales of their own domestic product? Are they just avoiding the comparison?

I'm so glad certain people aren't present to have their cranial pressures build up right in front of us. That image is still tattooed on the backs of my eyelids, oh my...

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2101500 - 06/12/13 02:16 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Greg,

I don't see why someone can't make a purchase while physically in Europe and then make all of the shipping, duty, tax, and customs arrangements by themselves. There would be no way that S&S could stop you.

However, if you are purchasing in the US, you must order a piano through any local Steinway dealership. You certainly have the option to travel abroad to make your specific selection, however. The thing that is restricted would be for a North American Steinway Dealership to make all of the export arrangements from Europe to the USA without running it through Steinway Corporate. That makes sense to me.

I don't think it is nearly as restrictive as you are making it out. Steinway is merely assigning their products to be marketed in specific locations. In the piano universe, that is standard practice.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2101501 - 06/12/13 02:16 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
Have things changed that much

Very much so.

Many folks like to combine their European holidays with piano buying opportunity. Especially related to Hamburg Steinways...

Norbert

#2101516 - 06/12/13 02:41 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
They are also having shortages in inventory in Hamburg. Maybe that has something to do with it. Steinway says they've lost sales because Hamburg is not producing enough product right now.

#2101521 - 06/12/13 02:47 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

I'm sure that Astoria would love to pick up the slack! There should be no reason that the NY facility couldn't build the Hamburg models. Boy, would that set the piano world on its head!

#2101572 - 06/12/13 04:11 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

How come no Steinway people have weighed in on this, or did I miss Bob Snyder somewhere? It seems to me that this thread is a whole lot of speculation, with no one quite certain that the issue is real nor how to figure out whether it is and, if it is, what to suggest (if anything).

I am confused about what to think. . . .I have to say that I find it hard to believe that someone who can afford a new 9' Steinway should be having problems like this. There must be an expert piano technician, experienced at dealing with the very exacting tastes of top performers, who can make a 9' concert grand piano sound the way its owner (or prospective owner) wants it to. After all, concert pianists demand different things of their pianos. . . . Always accepting, of course, that the issue is real in the first place.

#2101582 - 06/12/13 04:34 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Rank Piano Amateur
It seems to me that this thread is a whole lot of speculation, with no one quite certain that the issue is real nor how to figure out whether it is and, if it is, what to suggest (if anything).

Well, it IS the Internets.

#2101584 - 06/12/13 04:36 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

RPA,

That's exactly what we can't figure out either. I'm sure that Mr. Snyder would prefer to not officially wade into this morass. He may very well be as exasperated as are we.

#2101590 - 06/12/13 04:45 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Steinway corporate is well aware of this thread. I know this for a fact. But they haven't contacted me in the interest of good customer service. Not a peep. I would get better service at Walmart. Bob Snyder has called the manager of the store that sold me this piano regarding my posts. I have heard from other dealers as well that they know who I am.

I can see how it may seem like I'm an happy customer that's just trying to bash steinways product but I assure you that is not the case. I was honestly seeking advice on which hamburg I should get- new or used? C&A or not.

I'm displeased with my current instrument and although I was a bit extreme to call it junk, and for that I do apologize, what I mean is that it's not doing what I want and expected. If I haven't paid so much for it, it would be a whole different story. But when I buy the best piano in the world, I expect dynamic range and long sustain.

Like I have mentioned, the NY models can indeed achieve this but only from older ones such as the 1998 I had as a loaner. It just goes to show that these instruments may need time to build up to themselves. But it's a big "may" with 140k. Should I really wait 2 years to see IF the piano comes alive after 2 years? Big gamble I'm not willing to make.

My only criticism of Steinway NY besides the fact that they haven't even attempted to contact me and figure out a way to make us all happy is the fact that they rely on the dealers to finish prepping the piano. Out of the factory, they only do a very basic voicing.

The main issue is now they have to trust the dealer to properly prep the instrument. Something that does not happen in alot of cases from the sources I have.

Also, the selection room in NY is pointless unless the D's are concert prepped which they absolutely are not!!! Does this make sense??

Edited by noambenhamou (06/12/13 04:59 PM)

#2101639 - 06/12/13 06:43 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Norbert Offline

Quote:
But when I buy the best piano in the world, I expect dynamic range and long sustain.

One does't have to own "best piano in the world" to get this.

Customers paying a fraction of what you paid, deserve it.

And are getting it....

Luckily, it has nothing to do with New York versus Hamburg Steinway..

Norbert wink

#2101655 - 06/12/13 07:05 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Plowboy]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Plowboy
They are also having shortages in inventory in Hamburg. Maybe that has something to do with it. Steinway says they've lost sales because Hamburg is not producing enough product right now.

No! The issue is that Hamburg Steinways aren't "seasoned" for North American climates. :-)

#2101658 - 06/12/13 07:14 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Noambenhamou,

You state your opinions as if they are facts. They are your opinions and may or may not be shared by other members of the forum.

Here is an example:

Originally Posted By: noambenhamou - 6/12/13
Like I have mentioned, the NY models can indeed achieve this but only from older ones such as the 1998 I had as a loaner.

Every possible solution has been offered to you but you seem to think that somehow we can kiss it and make it all better. You dismiss the wealth of information and experience offered by some of the most respected technicians and rebuilders that are available anywhere.

You selected the piano, it is not our responsibility to rectify your displeasure.

#2101659 - 06/12/13 07:16 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Thrill Science]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: Thrill Science
Originally Posted By: Plowboy

No! The issue is that Hamburg Steinways aren't "seasoned" for North American climates. :-)

I need to learn about gray market Hamburgs. laugh

#2101663 - 06/12/13 07:24 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Noambenhamou,

You state your opinions as if they are facts. They are your opinions and may or may not be shared by other members of the forum.

Here is an example:

Originally Posted By: noambenhamou - 6/13/13
Like I have mentioned, the NY models can indeed achieve this but only from older ones such as the 1998 I had as a loaner.

Every possible solution has been offered to you but you seem to think that somehow we can kiss it and make it all better. You dismiss the wealth of information and experience offered by some of the most respected technicians and rebuilders that are available anywhere.

You selected the piano, it is not our responsibility to rectify your displeasure.

Did I say it was your responsibility?
I did not dismiss any information. I am gathering all information and learning from everyone's feedback. Thank you all! Truly!

#2101669 - 06/12/13 07:34 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Noambenhamou,

Here is an example:

Originally Posted By: noambenhamou - 6/13/13

Did I say it was your responsibility?
I did not dismiss any information. I am gathering all information and learning from everyone's feedback. Thank you all! Truly!

Then exactly what are you trying to accomplish and what do you need to hear that hasn't been said time and time again?

#2101677 - 06/12/13 07:42 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, I'm all set brother! I completely got all the info I need but people keep posting replies...

I appreciate all the replies, but I welcome everyone to stop posting on this thread. I guess you can ask the moderator to close this thread if it's keeping you up at night and bothering you so much. But as long as people keep replying, ill keep reading. Perhaps there is some new information from someone new?

Thanks again for everyone who replied.

#2101680 - 06/12/13 07:48 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

#2101696 - 06/12/13 08:14 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
mautique Offline

Loc: CA, USA
The Steinway dealer didn't mention anything about upgrade policy when I bought my B in 2010. They took my 22-year old M back which I bought new and gave me full credit for what I paid then plus $2,000. I am not saying I got a good deal, just saying what happened.
As for Hamburg vs New York, I have always liked the Hamburg more. I grew up overseas and have not played any NY Steinway until I came to this country, and I was frankly quite disappointed with most of them, pretty much echoing what Noam said. Certainly the NY Steinway are decent pianos but tonally, I think they are mostly inferior to the Hamburg ones, not to mention the workmanship, not as meticulously made and prepared as the Hamburg ones. But I do think the newer New York ones are getting much much better. I like my B, and tonally, it is really not so much different from the Bs I tried at Steinway Hall in London last year. On the Bs I played I prefer the last few base notes of the Hamburg, with slightly more warmth to it. Still I think the Hamburg ones look more pretty! Hey, would like to have both at home someday.
2010 Steinway B #586826

#2101701 - 06/12/13 08:22 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

mautique,

I think you got a fabulous "trade in" on a 22 y/o 'M' !!!

#2101727 - 06/12/13 09:31 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
It's my understanding that Steinway Corp. intends for Hamburg to supply Europe and Asian markets while New York supplies North and South Americas markets.

#2101746 - 06/12/13 10:06 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Dave B,

So true. It was nothing more than fantasy conjecture about the Hamburgs being built in Astoria.

#2101931 - 06/13/13 11:28 AM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Edited by noambenhamou (06/13/13 12:45 PM)

#2101940 - 06/13/13 12:05 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Noam,

It is good to hear that everything is starting to come to a resolution. I wish you well, and I do hope that you find your perfect piano.

#2101958 - 06/13/13 12:40 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Rickster]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Rickster

All I'm saying is that the OP deserves a second chance. We all can get rather irritable and feisty at times. It's part of being human. smile

Rick
Or, if the OP is by chance an Israeli, it's all part of what Israelis call "Israeliness" - brutally direct, excitable, and prone to arguing any point to death. In person, the typical Israeli's warmth makes it all forgivable or even amusing for us Americans. But on an Internet forum, it can be problematic.

I've had fun watching Noam jump down people's throats on the prior thread and seeing him backpedal on this one to no avail - other posters are still offended.

I long ago lost track of which piano Noam has, almost has, likes, doesn't like, and wants to trade in.

At this point I feel bad for him. He has a piano he doesn't want and a bunch of people on PW who are mad at him. He's a babe in the woods on this forum. Go easy on him, guys.

#2101965 - 06/13/13 12:57 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: BrainCramp]
Hamburg-D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BrainCramp
Originally Posted By: Rickster

All I'm saying is that the OP deserves a second chance. We all can get rather irritable and feisty at times. It's part of being human. smile

Rick
Or, if the OP is by chance an Israeli, it's all part of what Israelis call "Israeliness" - brutally direct, excitable, and prone to arguing any point to death. In person, the typical Israeli's warmth makes it all forgivable or even amusing for us Americans. But on an Internet forum, it can be problematic.

I've had fun watching Noam jump down people's throats on the prior thread and seeing him backpedal on this one to no avail - other posters are still offended.

I long ago lost track of which piano Noam has, almost has, likes, doesn't like, and wants to trade in.

At this point I feel bad for him. He has a piano he doesn't want and a bunch of people on PW who are mad at him. He's a babe in the woods on this forum. Go easy on him, guys.

Hahaha Brian. Ill take this as a compliment smile

#2101971 - 06/13/13 01:10 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA

Hahaha Brian. Ill take this as a compliment smile

Absolutely!

Is there a Steinway dealer in Israel? Maybe you could call him up and talk it over Israeli-style (that is, by yelling at each other) and come up with an action plan for dealing with the Americans and Germans. wink

#2101972 - 06/13/13 01:12 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Hamburg-D]
Norbert Offline

To any reader the story seems a bit of "brand fixation"
Here are the reasons:

If I'd own a 9' Steinway and am not happy with it:

1] would go get the best tech trying to help me

2] explore all other possibilities including "lateral exchange" or "trading down" to a 7' grand I'd love.

Thinking that most of the issue has to do with communication of sorts - not piano itself.

Outside that, I would look for an entirely different instrument hoping the 9' concert could be sold or consigned at a price allowing me doing another choice.

With so many fantastic choices out there today, I wouldn't marry my ex-bride's German sister.

But find new love entirely elsewhere.

[True story...]

Norbert grin

Edited by Norbert (06/13/13 01:16 PM)

#2101977 - 06/13/13 01:20 PM Re: "The Steinway Promise" upgrade policy [Re: Norbert]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Norbert

With so many fantastic choices out there today, I wouldn't marry my ex-bride's German sister.

Good one !! ha

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
13 minutes 6 seconds ago
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Who's Online
61 registered (aesop, Al LaPorte, allakart, beet31425, 11 invisible), 848 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157637 Topics
2315432 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission