Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2100241 - 06/10/13 11:09 AM "Condensed" or Adult Theory books?
red-rose Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Does anyone have a recommendation for workbook-type-book that would be useful for a student who is either older and/or been playing for several years, but has basically no grasp or understanding of any music theory?
I have recently inherited a couple students in this category, (for example, one is in Alfred level 6, and can feel out a "C" chord, but has no idea *how* to find other chords, or how they are related, etc.) I'm gradually teaching/explaining these concepts, but I think it would be a lot more beneficial if I could have something concrete/pre-written, that they could go home and work on and answer questions to reinforce what they're learning.

I'm aware of college-type textbooks, and obviously there are the 6-8 theory books that would go along with a method book, but is there something that's like... in the middle?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2100245 - 06/10/13 11:19 AM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: red-rose]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
My wife was a music therapy major so she had the usual college theory texts.

I read through them, and I understood what I read, but none of it stuck.

Then I ended up running a praise & worship team, and suddenly I had to interpret lead sheets, add chords to melodies, add piano parts to guitar tab, spell chords as needed (what is D2?), transpose, etc. I didn't need deep theory, but what I did need was applied immediately. Now there was a purpose, and it all made sense. Theory was part of how we made music rather than an intellectual exercise.

I don't know if there's a text for that, but the "How to play from a leadsheet" book did help. Referring back to the theory texts when I had a specific question or need was more practical than trying to learn it all and never apply most of it.

Edited by TimR (06/10/13 11:20 AM)

#2100255 - 06/10/13 11:29 AM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: TimR]
red-rose Offline

Good points; I don't disagree that it's hard to remember stuff like this when you don't have an immediate use for it. And leadsheets are a great idea - I've already started doing a tiny bit of that with one of the students.

Now... I'm not even talking about expecting them to know what a "Neopolitan 6th" is or whatever, but rather just what (I think!) is relatively basic stuff... how to know what key you are in based on a key signature, how to find the I, IV, and V7 chords in any key, what the "pattern" is to find any major scale, how a relative minor is related to its major, etc. So basically just the stuff that you would learn in any method series' theory books.

#2100738 - 06/11/13 02:04 AM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: red-rose]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
I regularly use the "Basics of Keyboard Theory" by Julie McIntosh Johnson. They are graded into 10 levels, and there is also a "guide to AP theory" available. I haven't looked at the "guide to AP theory yet".

#2100792 - 06/11/13 04:49 AM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: red-rose]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I prefer to make my own worksheets and handouts, since I find most graded theory books to be highly inadequate. Some of them contain errors!

Once you make a good worksheet, you can scan it and save it in pdf. Electronic versions of worksheets allow you to be more organized.

#2101161 - 06/11/13 08:28 PM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: AZNpiano]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
I prefer to make my own worksheets and handouts, since I find most graded theory books to be highly inadequate. Some of them contain errors!

Once you make a good worksheet, you can scan it and save it in pdf. Electronic versions of worksheets allow you to be more organized.

I agree that would be a good option. However it is also possible to supplement a theory text with some worksheets and provide solid training. I think that ditching the theory text altogether would increase teacher workload.

#2102153 - 06/13/13 07:43 PM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: musicpassion]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Frankly, I find that all the 'adult-theory" books are pretty awful. At the very least, they usually insult the intelligence of the adult student. They often miss the point about functional listening and harmony, and the exercises are often useless or non-existent.

A few years ago, I sat down and wrote my own book.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2102162 - 06/13/13 08:07 PM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: red-rose]
pianogirl87 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I don't use a theory textbook with my adult students. I either use very generic worksheets or create my own for what exactly they are learning. With the latter, I can modify it to help the individual student with their specific needs.

#2102186 - 06/13/13 09:34 PM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: musicpassion]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: musicpassion
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

I agree that would be a good option. However it is also possible to supplement a theory text with some worksheets and provide solid training. I think that ditching the theory text altogether would increase teacher workload.

In the long run AZN's approach would save time. It takes more time to continually fix things, add things that are missing.

The idea of condensing is totally the wrong way to go. Get solid materials, or create them yourself, then skip things with a fast student that do not need to be covered as many times. You can eliminate padding or boredom, but condensed books always leave things out.

#2102191 - 06/13/13 10:05 PM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: red-rose]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Actually, my usual problem is going too fast. For kids who take forever to do their theory assignments, I often find myself teaching the same concept for weeks in a row.

#2103513 - 06/16/13 08:28 PM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: red-rose]
JazzyMac Offline

I have no idea what this means. Seems as if the popular book is Alfred's, but "theory books are bad"? What does that mean, and why do teachers use it?

#2103548 - 06/16/13 09:26 PM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: JazzyMac]
musicpassion Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JazzyMac
I have no idea what this means. Seems as if the popular book is Alfred's, but "theory books are bad"? What does that mean, and why do teachers use it?

I don't think the theory books I use are bad. In fact, I rather like them. But they are not perfect (thus my supplemental worksheets. In response to the other post, no it's not more work this way... I don't make that many worksheets).

The Alfred adult theory book is pretty lousy, IMHO. Moves too fast and skips things.

#2103552 - 06/16/13 09:28 PM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: JazzyMac]
red-rose Offline

Originally Posted By: JazzyMac

? to whom is your question addressed? And from where did you get the quoted text that apparently confuses you?

#2106532 - 06/23/13 01:49 AM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: red-rose]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
Gil deBenedetti's worksheets on the Net ?
They start from nearly zero up to AP level, whatever that is.

http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Fundamentals/workbooks.html

#2106541 - 06/23/13 02:41 AM Re: "Condensed" or Adult Theory books? [Re: red-rose]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
AP stands for Advanced Placement. These are a set of high school courses and nation-wide exams in the United States which are the equivalent of college courses. Given a sufficient score on the exam, these are often accepted for college credit.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Modern Jazz Pianists and Compositions
by b4ggy
22 minutes 28 seconds ago
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
Today at 04:27 AM
by vlhorowitz
Today at 04:26 AM
by vlhorowitz
Today at 04:26 AM
First sonata
by amt976
Today at 03:38 AM
Who's Online
85 registered (Alexancho, A Guy, amt976, András Lieber, Alux, Al LaPorte, 20 invisible), 1130 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157913 Topics
2319127 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission