Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2100376 - 06/10/13 02:23 PM Transfer etiquette
Cardinal201 Offline

Well, the time has come--despite my protestations and denials, the kiddo had his final lesson with his beloved first piano teacher last week. The past 9 months have been full of surprises, and we couldn't have asked for a better "end of the beginning" than the Top-Talent Circle Rating the little guy received on his very first Guild Audition (Elementary Special, International) this past weekend.

I placed a call this morning to the new teacher recommended by the old (yes, I've been procrastinating), and am waiting to hear back. I've heard just enough about her to be a little nervous (I'm hoping comments like "You're throwing him to the wolves?" are meant only in jest...), but will keep an open mind and reserve judgment. To that end, I would like to ask this forum for help following proper etiquette when transferring teachers:

We already have the first teacher's blessing, as it was her recommendation in the first place. The first teacher has already spoken with the new teacher, as well. Obviously, I'm hoping our initial meeting is a good one. If for some reason it isn't, should we give lessons a try anyway? Should I interview other teachers regardless, or only if the initial meeting does not go well? Thank you in advance for your help!

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2100404 - 06/10/13 03:06 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
I haven't followed earlier threads. I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with talking to several teachers, but do you have a particular reason for worrying about the one that has been suggested? Take things one step at a time ... relax.

Why is your kiddo transferring?
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2100449 - 06/10/13 04:24 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I think you should certainly interview 2 or 3 teachers you find on your own. You are under no obligation to work with the recommended scary teacher #2. And I still think the whole idea of teacher #1 abandoning your son after just one teaching season is silly and unfortunate. I'd like to speak to her, and get her to change her mind.

#2100470 - 06/10/13 04:54 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Always better to interview with several.

#2100560 - 06/10/13 07:09 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
I agree that it's good to interview other teachers besides just this one. In answer to your first question, if the initial meeting with this teacher is not good and you do not have a good gut feeling, then I would not sign up for lessons with her.
But keep an open mind going in to this interview, because rumors can be just that. Maybe somebody had a bad experience with a teacher and then that student told someone else, and on it goes. 2 sides to every story.

#2100595 - 06/10/13 08:03 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
If you read the earlier posts of the OP, apparently his kiddo, at the age of 5, after a few lessons, was playing better than many who have played years.

His current teacher didn't feel comfortable of continuing teaching such a rare talent, and insisted to transfer him to a more capable teacher. The teacher being Edna Golandsky or one of her associates.

Not sure if this makes a difference.

#2100611 - 06/10/13 08:29 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

So teacher #1 did not abandon the child, but rather took a loss of income to look after the child's best interest and place him with a teacher commensurate with his abilities.

Excellent thumb

#2100626 - 06/10/13 09:05 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: rocket88]
red-rose Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: rocket88
So teacher #1 did not abandon the child, but rather took a loss of income to look after the child's best interest and place him with a teacher commensurate with his abilities.

Excellent thumb

I don't know any of the backstory besides this, but I agree, this sounds like a good situation. I would trust the teacher, and try to stick with the recommendation unless the new teacher ends up being really terrible with a kid or something. I think even a not-so-good teacher (by her own admission or not!) will be a better judge of the abilities of a prospective teacher than a non-musical parent who is simply interviewing several teachers.

#2100802 - 06/11/13 05:29 AM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: rocket88]
AZNpiano Online   sleepy
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: rocket88

Excellent thumb

This is my view as well. I'm assuming the best, and that "scary teacher #2" is actually a well-established and -respected pedagogue who can take the kid to the next level and let him blossom musically.

And if all else fails, there's no obligation to stay with teacher #2. It's a free country.

#2101630 - 06/12/13 06:25 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Cardinal201 Offline

Thank you all! I spoke with teacher #2 yesterday, and she seemed serious but not scary (at least over the phone), so we made an appointment for this weekend. She asked me a myriad of questions, including my son's age, how long he's been playing, current lesson length, current repertoire, and what time he wakes up and goes to bed (I'm hoping the last questions were only to help in scheduling lesson times vs. calculating how many hours he can potentially practice within a 24 hour period wink.

From your responses, it sounds like it would be perfectly proper for me to interview other teachers, but to red-rose's point, I'd likely make a poor judge of actual teaching ability. Are there particular things I should ask about or look for in trying to ascertain this?

#2101932 - 06/13/13 11:30 AM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Just be honest. You might even express your confusion over why teacher #1 is deferring to teacher #2, when your son had such a splendid relationship with #1. The specifics of #2's response to you matter less than her heart, and her appreciation of relationships. You could also discuss her views on prodigies, if in fact your son might be one.

But didn't teacher #1 tell #2 in detail about your son to smooth this transition?

#2102022 - 06/13/13 02:39 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I looked up the earlier thread, since I study with a Golandsky Institute faculty member, and the mention made me curious. From what I know, all the teachers there are great to work with, extremely supportive and nothing scary.

I recently saw Edna give a master class with an 8-year-old player. I thought she was wonderful in working with the young girl.

I would suggest trusting teacher #1's recommendation unless you find something that makes you unhappy.
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2102131 - 06/13/13 06:35 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: The Monkeys]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: The Monkeys
If you read the earlier posts of the OP, apparently his kiddo, at the age of 5, after a few lessons, was playing better than many who have played years.

His current teacher didn't feel comfortable of continuing teaching such a rare talent, and insisted to transfer him to a more capable teacher. The teacher being Edna Golandsky or one of her associates.

Not sure if this makes a difference.

It should; she's one of the most respected teachers in the Americas. What surprised me (and I should have known better) is that Ms. Golandsky is teaching out of Vancouver, BC. For some reason, I thought she was NYC based.

#2102181 - 06/13/13 09:22 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
I wasn't the OP, don't know where the OP is located.

#2102184 - 06/13/13 09:30 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Cardinal201 Offline

Just to be clear, the new teacher recommended by teacher #1 is NOT Edna Golandsky, nor a Golandsky Institute certified teacher, as there are none in our area. Teacher #1 has said she envisions my son one day studying with Ms. Golandsky should he continue down this path, that is all, and suggested sending a recording for her assessment (a request I demurred as I think it premature).

#2103597 - 06/16/13 11:52 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Cardinal201 Offline

Update: We met with Teacher #2, and I have to say, she was a little intimidating. It's possible I have a warped perspective, as my only experience until now has been with Teacher #1, who simply exudes rainbows and sunshine... On the other hand, Teacher #2 definitely seemed a very capable teacher, and I think my son would be able to learn a lot from her.

Teacher #2 did not engage in any social pleasantries, but got right down to business, handing me her studio policy to review and gesturing my son to the piano. She directed most of her questions to the kiddo rather than myself, which I appreciated and found very respectful. She had him play a couple pieces and a few scales, ripped apart his technique, then whispered to me "It's not his fault--he only knows what he's been taught." She said she had spoken with Teacher #1 and was willing to take him on as a student, and that we would see how far he truly can go. When I replied that I don't want to push him, she said that it would be up to us. She told me to call with any questions, and we thanked her for her time. As we were driving home, I asked my son what he thought of Teacher #2, and he said, "I like her, but she's not Mrs. [Teacher #1]." frown

My spouse and I still need to discuss things, but my preliminary thinking is to ask if we can do a trial period of, say, 2 weeks of lessons to see if it's a good fit. Teacher #2's termination policy requires a one month written notice PLUS an additional one month's tuition, so I am hoping she will agree to waive this requirement within the 2 week trial period. During this time, we would pay her regular tuition rate but not take up a regular spot on her schedule--we would only squeeze in at her convenience. Does this sound like a reasonable request?

#2103788 - 06/17/13 11:15 AM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cardinal201

My spouse and I still need to discuss things, but my preliminary thinking is to ask if we can do a trial period of, say, 2 weeks of lessons to see if it's a good fit. Teacher #2's termination policy requires a one month written notice PLUS an additional one month's tuition, so I am hoping she will agree to waive this requirement within the 2 week trial period. During this time, we would pay her regular tuition rate but not take up a regular spot on her schedule--we would only squeeze in at her convenience. Does this sound like a reasonable request?

Not in my opinion.

It usually takes longer than two weeks for a teacher to get used to a student, and vice-versa. Sometimes it takes several months.

It sounds like she is a very good teacher of piano, which is what you want. Knowledgable and down to business. And she apparently knows technique, which is foundational to playing well. and which way too many teachers ignore, including perhaps teacher #1.

I say jump in and expect her to be a great asset to your son's music life.

Quote:
I asked my son what he thought of Teacher #2, and he said, "I like her, but she's not Mrs. [Teacher #1]." frown

You put a frown smiley after this...why?

I would say your son is wise, and the fact that he likes her, and does not expect her to be cuddly like #1, which seem to be your issue, not his, indicates further a "go" situation.

I personally would be thrilled to have such a teacher for my son.

#2103794 - 06/17/13 11:24 AM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: rocket88]
MaggieGirl Offline

Unless teacher 1 asked you to leave her studio, I would expect to follow the written contract - the one month notice+one month and not ask for special considerations.

#2103799 - 06/17/13 11:41 AM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
red-rose Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Teacher #2's termination policy requires a one month written notice PLUS an additional one month's tuition

Does nobody else find this odd and unreasonable? If I am understanding correctly, then simply by signing up with this teacher you are agreeing to basically give her an entire month of tuition... FOR NOTHING? (Whenever you leave, since, everyone will leave eventually, right?) That is a lot of money! What is the rationale behind this? Why not simply say you have to give 2 months notice, since that is the same financial result for the teacher, but at least the student "gets" something reasonably fair (and of course they have the option to simply not take the 2 months of lessons.) Or why not require people to pay a non-refundable month of tuition when they sign up, since that's basically what this is? (Wouldnt that be hard to enforce once they've already left? Why not make them pay upfront if they're going to pay it eventually?) That at least to me, seems a "less sneaky" way to try and get maximum amount of money out of people!

#2103805 - 06/17/13 12:03 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
MaggieGirl Offline

It isn't a contract I would have signed. However, the parent DID sign it, so they should uphold their end.

#2103813 - 06/17/13 12:21 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
sonataplayer Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
She had him play a couple pieces and a few scales, ripped apart his technique, then whispered to me "It's not his fault--he only knows what he's been taught."

Ouch! Slamming the teacher who referred a new student to her? Not very professional on her part. That would be a red flag for me.

#2103819 - 06/17/13 12:35 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Noticing that a prospective student has bad technique is a common experience for me.
Few teachers teach proper technique, and even fewer self-taught people teach themselves technique.

Pointing that out to the parent is part of a diagnostic for the parent...an explanation to the parent what we will be working on, so that when they might ask later on, "why such an emphasis on scales, etc," there is a background for it.

Perhaps this teacher is less than tactful...I want a good teacher for my talented child, not a warm and fuzzy diplomat.

The thing is that she has a very good reputation, the boy likes her, the previous teacher is way over her head with the boy, and she recommended teacher #2.

#2103833 - 06/17/13 12:49 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
The bottom line is that we don't know anything. We have not seen either of the teachers teach, and we have not watch this child progress. The best is not to offer a prognosis about what is the best choice, whether or not this new proposed teacher is manna sent from heaven. We don't know. It is also possible that the original teacher is insecure, and that this insecurity comes from that kind of opinion by her own teacher - the one she is sending the child to. Or it may be that she does not have the abilities, knows her teacher does, and has good reason for sending the child on. We don't know. Nobody here knows.

I think that the parent wanted to have a trial period, especially since the parent and child are happy with the present teacher, is a good idea.

#2103846 - 06/17/13 01:20 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: keystring]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: keystring
I think that the parent wanted to have a trial period, especially since the parent and child are happy with the present teacher, is a good idea.

Well, the time has come--despite my protestations and denials, the kiddo had his final lesson with his beloved first piano teacher last week.

The "present" teacher is now the former teacher, at the teacher's insistence.

#2103851 - 06/17/13 01:30 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]

The parent is also considering a trial period - it is not totally a done deal yet.

#2103878 - 06/17/13 02:38 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Two weeks is not a long enough trial period. Try two months. That's basically the summer.

#2103893 - 06/17/13 03:07 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
Cardinal201 Offline

Thank you all for your feedback this far!

MaggieGirl, I think you may have misread my post. I have NOT signed a contract with a termination clause. The clause is in the prospective teacher's studio policy, not the former teacher's. red-rose, I agree the requirement seems unecessarily punitive, which is why I would like to at least negotiate a trial period before being subject to the clause. sonataplayer, I don't think Teacher #2 meant to slam Teacher #1, especially since she seemed to take care not to say it within my son's earshot, but it did take me aback a little. rocket88, Teacher #2 is proposing 4 lessons within a 2 week period, which I was thinking would be enough to at least gauge personality fit? Also, I put the frown emoticon after the quote because the kiddo frowned after he said it--sorry if that was not clear. keystring and PianoStudent88, my son's studies with Teacher #1 are "done", but it's not a given who the next teacher will be.

#2103894 - 06/17/13 03:15 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Cardinal201, that's what I understood: that Teacher #1 is "done", but next teacher is not yet decided.

#2103908 - 06/17/13 03:37 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]

Cardinal 201, if you liked the teacher you have just left, why is it so strongly "done", especially since you are not certain about the proposed teacher?

#2103921 - 06/17/13 03:54 PM Re: Transfer etiquette [Re: Cardinal201]
MaggieGirl Offline

Sorry, I misunderstood!

Of course you can try to negotiate the new teacher's contract, but she might not be flexible. I have heard of contracts that are 12 weeks - you prepay and if you quit, you forfeit the full amount so her contract does not sound out of line.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, AEMontoya, A Guy, 36251, 41 invisible), 1419 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76007 Members
42 Forums
157167 Topics
2308265 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
22 minutes 6 seconds ago
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
Today at 04:51 PM
Portable keyboard stand for Kawai ES7
by gbitw
Today at 04:24 PM
Recital Piece to go with Fur Elise
by eccp19
Today at 03:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission