Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2101198 - 06/11/13 09:09 PM Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement!
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Okay, there's a little problem with the video file, but I uploaded the audio......

I was the least happy with this movement because it was such a mess.

Does it come across as too messy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTF6hNmXWEA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2101270 - 06/12/13 12:37 AM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Dunno why nobody's posted....or why there are so few views...but that was really good! The flubs didn't really distract from the music and I'm so jealous of how you shape all of the small details so well. Congrats!

Edited by Kuanpiano (06/12/13 12:38 AM)
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no.3

#2101279 - 06/12/13 12:58 AM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Kuanpiano]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
[...] how you shape all of the small details so well. Congrats!

I think that is what makes Pogo's music so special--that attention to detail, yes, but not getting lost in the details. Exactly what you said, Kuanpiano--shaping the details into something much bigger and deeper--thought and feeling in each unfolding phrase. I guess I'm plus one-ing you! smile

So, it wasn't as clean as it might have been, Angelina. It's still amazing playing. I've listened to it three times, now, and I get lost in the music each time! There are many very heart-wrenching and mysterious moments. As I said before, you demanded Rachmaninoff to tell his secrets to you and he did. This is a very intimate interpretation--all movements of this performance. It's quite special.

#2101368 - 06/12/13 08:33 AM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks!

So it does sound messy? As in, I can't use it for pre-screening auditions for schools?

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2101380 - 06/12/13 09:01 AM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
I'm certainly not qualified to answer that question. But now that you've asked it that way, perhaps we'll here from those who can offer an experienced opinion. smile

Edit: I listened to it again with fresh ears this morning, and I think what rises to the top in your performance is the incredible artistry and depth of understanding. It is incredibly lush playing with detail and passion. The fluffs that pass by are just that--performance fluffs that would probably never happen the same way twice, given a different day and a different performance. I understand why they bother you, but the way you handle the piece in total is enough to show that you have mastered the piece.

Edited by Cinnamonbear (06/12/13 10:01 AM)
Edit Reason: added thoughts

#2101402 - 06/12/13 10:03 AM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Tim Adrianson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Pogo -- like Kuanpiano, I really didn't notice any majorly messy segments -- what I DID notice was the emphasis on the lyrical aspects of this massive composition, as opposed to the virtuosic; and, IMO, that is really, really important to "selling" this Sonata. Overall, I'm more taken by your performance than Viktor Valkov's -- his is more exciting, but I think yours is closer to the heart of Rachmaninov.

Thanks, incidentally, for tipping me off about Valkov's performance: since I have been "on record" for dissing this Sonata based on past hearings (admittedly limited), his and your performance have successfully turned my head around. Now, if you can sell me on the merits of the 3rd movement of the 2nd Sonata, I'll be happy to go to school there too -- as I speak now, I'll be damned if I can make anything substantive out of it.

#2101406 - 06/12/13 10:10 AM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Well, the only messy part I noticed was right at the E flat minor climax, where you missed a few right hand chords...but you left hand kept going and that's the predominant voice in that section anyways. You should be okay, especially considering how it's a live performance..and that's like one bar out of 35 pages which is noticeably out there.
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no.3

#2101432 - 06/12/13 11:19 AM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Pogorelich.]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
To be honest I thought this movement sounded more cautious than messy, certainly compared to the other two.
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#2101439 - 06/12/13 11:32 AM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Pogorelich.]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Interesting observation... That's probably the only time I performed this movement and "went for it"...

#2102082 - 06/13/13 04:59 PM Re: Rachmaninov sonata no. 1, 1st movement! [Re: Pogorelich.]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
Fantastic! Listening it through now, halfway through I think this sounds absolutely superb! Glad someone takes on this seriously underrated piece (personally, I think it's more interesting than the 2nd sonata) and does such a thorough job with it. Great sound, wonderful attention to detail, not to mention counterpoint, which is very important in Rachmaninov. I'd take most of it somewhat faster, but that's a matter of taste - to me, it overall comes across as more Moderato than Allegro in your performance. That's a better starting point than having it the other way around, for sure.

In any case, congrats on this - wonderful playing throughout. You're making me inspired to learn it!

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
82 registered (ando, Beemer, AtomicBond, 21 invisible), 1346 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153620 Topics
2251552 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
04/21/14 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission