Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2100670 - 06/10/13 10:44 PM Is there any good music being composed this day and age?
noambenhamou Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey everyone,

I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and went to watch Circ De Soleil with the music of the Beatles.
I've never really paid any attention to the Beatles because the best songs I've heard on the radio weren't that interesting, so I would wonder what the "no so popular" songs would sound like.

After a torturous hour watching this Circ De Soleil listening to all the Beatles music I couldn't help but compare it to something like Chopin piano concerto or pretty much any composition of composers I enjoy: Schumann, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Schubert etc...

Obviously I was also thinking, is it even fair to compare? But my decision was YES. Why not? Humans are humans and the song writers of today should focus and put as much energy as the composers in the past no?

The popular music of today are songs. And that's ok, things change... But why the lack of complexity? Almost like shier laziness of the song writers where verse-chorus-verse are composed of 4 repetitive chords.

I keep waiting for a new band, or song that would be more complex, more emotionally deep. Lead throughout multiple variations of the main theme, long sustaining melodies, flying out in tangents for the development section, changing keys without the listener's ears noticing, and coming back to the main theme, but this time in the minor key... No such thing today.
Lack of talent? Lack of effort? Or is it simply that today's listeners demand way less and in turn not pushing the composers towards a new level?

My knowledge of modern music is extremely limited and perhaps I am way wrong. My knowledge is that of backstreet boys, Beatles, Nirvana, and some of the modern compositions you hear at the symphony when you go watch a piano concerto etc...

The modern compositions never sat well with me. I know many people who really enjoy them, but my ear is not accustomed. Even Ravel and Debussy is a bit too modern for my taste but at least with those two, I can understand where they are trying to go with their music. Very modern stuff, I couldn't detect a melody or in which key we are currently in to save my life.

Input? always wanted to ask this question...

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2100703 - 06/11/13 12:18 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
boo1234 Offline

Slightly off topic...

I've been suckered into 3 of those Cirque de Soleil shows in Vegas.. O, Ka, and the beatles one. Hated them all, especially O. They do one trick and repeat it for 15 minutes and then do another and repeat. What a snoozefest.

now sort of back on topic... I did enjoy that China Gates piece that the Cliburn winner played in an early round.

Edited by boo1234 (06/11/13 12:20 AM)

#2100711 - 06/11/13 12:33 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Absolutely, there is good modern music. smile

Edited by Orange Soda King (06/11/13 12:35 AM)
Edit Reason: Wanted a recording with both men and women

#2100713 - 06/11/13 12:38 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Another:

Okay, I'll stop. smile

#2100723 - 06/11/13 01:08 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: noambenhamou
[...] Lack of talent? Lack of effort? Or is it simply that today's listeners demand way less and in turn not pushing the composers towards a new level? [...]

How 'bout evil music industry gatekeepers with an agenda to crude-i-fy and coarse-i-fy society to the point of destruction? (Think about it for a minute before dismissing the idea out of hand...)

I can think of four composers whose work I really like who are/were contributors to Piano World. In order of discovery:

1) Joshua Seth. ("jscomposer" seems to have disappeared, and his YouTube videos are removed. frown Here is a link to the score of one of his compositions that really resonated with me, and that I am working on:)

https://files.nyu.edu/jsg215/public/Nocturne%20in%20F%23%20minor,%20Joshua%20Seth.pdf

2) Maxwell Janis. (pops in from time to time when he has a new piece to share. He was kind enough to send me the score for this one, which I am currently working on:)

Bagatelle (youtube)

3) Steve Chandler. (excellent sense of melody coupled with unpredictable harmonies:)

Chandler--"Consolation" (youtube)

4) Nikolas Sideris. (Modern, right? Love this one. Will never play it, because it's way over my head...)

Sideris--Perniciosus (youtube)

--Andy

Edited by Cinnamonbear (06/11/13 02:33 AM)
Edit Reason: oops. Sidaras to Sideris.

#2100744 - 06/11/13 02:22 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Love you Andy! Do see if you can edit your post to fix my last name... Hint is on the actual youtube page (Sideris)... But in any case I don't think I've met anyone outside of Greece who can actually spell my last name correctly on the first go! grin French are very nice in pronouncing it right (the accent goes in last syllable), but other than that... teehee!

noambenhamou: You start off with doubts and quite a bit of negativity. Your judgement is your own of course, but your mentioning of minor, major, going back to the key, etc, shows that indeed you don't seem to enjoy much of modern music... Whatever genre it may be!

If you're looking for something that still sounds like Chopin, or Beethoven, I think you're out of luck! I think it's dead difficult to write like these guys did. I won't put it down to the lack of talent, but I will say that the economic and social situation is SO vastly different that we are completely different human beings!

Here's a few pop/rock songs that are worth something I think... each one for their own reasons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VzLn6DMCE (Radiohead. It IS repeated, but with such a rhythmic pattern that breaks the 8/8 into bits and pieces)

I won't even link it, because I think the video will steer some trouble, but it's wroth checking out "Ghost (from keep you close)" in youtube! wink REALLY DO NOT WATCH THIS UNLESS YOU'RE PREPARED FOR SOME INSULTING GORE AND STUFF!

But here's something else from deus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gj2MCf2G80 (check out the use of the "golden ratio" in there... )

#2100745 - 06/11/13 02:26 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
French are very nice in pronouncing it right (the accent goes in last syllable), but other than that... teehee!

Whatever you say, Mr. Si-DER-is.

#2100749 - 06/11/13 02:33 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

It's siderIS! Gawd! grin

#2100753 - 06/11/13 02:43 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
It's siderIS! Gawd! grin

Wouldn't it be a bit more like Σιδέρης?

#2100755 - 06/11/13 02:46 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Nice way to wreck a thread! wink

Yes, normally it should, but it actually depends on what part of Greece you come from. There's 3 ways to accent the name. The way that MY name is accented is because I come from the islands of the Aegean. Other parts of Greece accent it differently!

Problem solved... moving on...

Andy: Thanks once more! smile

#2100787 - 06/11/13 04:02 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Where's grease? ... sorry about that.

The OP chappie seems to have a bit too much starch in his collar ... to have developed a sore bum

"After a torturous hour watching this Circ De Soleil listening to all the Beatles music".

John, Paul, George and Ringo (the drummer chappie).

Wish I had invested some money in the group in 1960 when they first blazed their way into the public eye ... and to think that after "A Hard Day's Night" Paul McCartney
bought himself a Castle in Scotland ... from where he can keep the English riffraff out.

But imagine still being galled by the music of Ravel and Debussy ... the OP chappie needs to get out more ...
perhaps he should get up out of his atom bomb shelter ...
and smell the roses.

#2100810 - 06/11/13 06:04 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

#2100814 - 06/11/13 06:20 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK

My knowledge of modern music is extremely limited and perhaps I am way wrong.

Yep :-)
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#2100815 - 06/11/13 06:22 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Thanks Nikolas for mentioning Radiohead. This is one my my faves by them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1tQFX_9ct0
Esa-Pekka Salonen - Dichotomie
Kevin Oldham - Ballade, Op. 17

#2100829 - 06/11/13 08:23 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
From 1969 to the mid-80s, I listened to no pop music at all, only classical. I travel 3000 miles in the summer to play in a Mahler orchestra, and I can't tell you how many hours I've spent playing Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin, on the piano, in the orchestra, or both.

I could go on, but the point is: I'm a classical music guy.

I still think the Beatles wrote some lovely and very clever songs. I also find the Cirque performers and shows very entertaining.

Popular and folk music has always been with us, and by definition it's simpler and more accessible than art music. That doesn't make it bad. Folk music has inspired more than a few art music compositions.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2100992 - 06/11/13 03:30 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

There surely is.

#2101126 - 06/11/13 07:23 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: ClsscLib]
noambenhamou Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
From 1969 to the mid-80s, I listened to no pop music at all, only classical. I travel 3000 miles in the summer to play in a Mahler orchestra, and I can't tell you how many hours I've spent playing Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin, on the piano, in the orchestra, or both.

I could go on, but the point is: I'm a classical music guy.

I still think the Beatles wrote some lovely and very clever songs. I also find the Cirque performers and shows very entertaining.

Popular and folk music has always been with us, and by definition it's simpler and more accessible than art music. That doesn't make it bad. Folk music has inspired more than a few art music compositions.

I think you offered a great explanation.
I really like how you separated "popular & folk music" and "art music". I think you might be very right. Popular music has probably always been around even 200 years ago. It seems as if I only think that 200 years ago great music was composed when in fact, we and I automatically receive a very filtered version of what music from 200 years ago was like. I guess the chances are that there were thousands of composers, and thousands of common "simple" folk songs in that era that did not make it to our day and age.

So in 200 years from now, people will look at our era and only have available to them the "gems" from the past...

#2101183 - 06/11/13 08:50 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
MarkAW Offline

The Beatles create great music.

There is Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Beatles and Mozart.

Edited by MarkAW (06/11/13 08:51 PM)

#2101187 - 06/11/13 08:55 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: MarkAW]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MarkAW

Best song-writers in The Beatles:

1)Paul
2)John
3)George
4)Who's that other guy?

#2101193 - 06/11/13 09:03 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: JoelW]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: JoelW
Originally Posted By: MarkAW

Best song-writers in The Beatles:

1)Paul
2)John
3)George
4)Who's that other guy?

"Just remember, nothing happened until I got there" ~ that other guy

#2101236 - 06/11/13 10:47 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I've always preferred Bach, Beethoven and Beer.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2101240 - 06/11/13 10:56 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Polyphonist Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Even Ravel and Debussy is a bit too modern for my taste but at least with those two, I can understand where they are trying to go with their music. Very modern stuff, I couldn't detect a melody or in which key we are currently in to save my life.

Ravel and Debussy are more late Romantic than modern. And they say you're supposed to listen for a mood instead of a melody or a key. wink

Polyphonist

#2101244 - 06/11/13 11:04 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Eduard Hanslick Offline

I basically hate all pop music. I've tried to like it, but I generally agree with the first poster, it has a pathetic lack of complexity (most of it). I suppose there is some more complex pop or rock or alt music being written than the bland crap, but none of it interests me.

I like listening to new classical music, although I don't really like things like "prepared pianos." I like new music made with the old standbys: pianos, orchestras, traditional instruments. I did not like Theofanidis's 'Birichino' even though I know many in the Cliburn thread seemed to like it. I think repeated hearings of a new work, a good quality work, should make it sound more intriguing, but after 12 performances I didn't want to hear it anymore.

I like listening to atonal stuff, or partially tonal stuff - I'm opening to hearing any "classical" music from Bach to the present, whether tonal or atonal. I don't like Gregorian chants.

#2101248 - 06/11/13 11:16 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
What are you opinions of composers like Mychael Danna and others creating film music? Do you consider this music pop and simplistic?

#2101249 - 06/11/13 11:17 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: Polyphonist]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
Even Ravel and Debussy is a bit too modern for my taste but at least with those two, I can understand where they are trying to go with their music. Very modern stuff, I couldn't detect a melody or in which key we are currently in to save my life.

Ravel and Debussy are more late Romantic than modern. And they say you're supposed to listen for a mood instead of a melody or a key. wink

Idk about late romantic, but I agree about mood vs. key (though in some pieces such as L'isle Joyeuse or Le Tombeau de Couperin, there are definitely keys).

#2101255 - 06/11/13 11:36 PM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: Tararex]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Tararex
What are you opinions of composers like Mychael Danna and others creating film music? Do you consider this music pop and simplistic?

Picking up on the idea of film music, what do you think of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hFO9sA7LsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qte_Ne5mpJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag1Dfa1e_E
Managing Director, Northern Lights Music Festival

#2101273 - 06/12/13 12:42 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Yes and no.

In terms of music being composed for others to play (in the form of sheet music), then I think the number of composers working in that medium and the number of performers interested in new works is at an all-time low. Also, tools like Musescore have made it so easy for people to disseminate their work, that quality control is also at an all-time low. Very few amateur scores are edited and checked by a third party, and many people producing scores can't even play their own music.

But...in terms of music being composed for digital media, I think there's a lot of great work going on. Film, video game, and performing musicians continue to make a lot of really interesting stuff. (Although again, quality control is an issue and makes it difficult to find the good stuff, since amateurs flood the market with garbage and record labels flood the market with formulaic pop trash.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#2101275 - 06/12/13 12:47 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: DameMyra]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: DameMyra
Originally Posted By: Tararex

Picking up on the idea of film music, what do you think of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hFO9sA7LsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qte_Ne5mpJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag1Dfa1e_E

All pleasant enough and typical of film music - just different enough to make you say "where did I hear that before" without being a direct copy of something else. I'm curious as to the advanced musically educated viewpoint. To me, who's only at the point of reading basic key changes, melodies and harmonic progressions, they seem a fusion of a number of genres and often overly dependent on existing classical or folk tunes. But when I review the sheets some seem closer to classical/romantic styles than anything else being created today. There are often interesting progressions and key changes. And there are a few composers creating truly new pieces. Not many though.

#2101330 - 06/12/13 05:15 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: Kreisler]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

In terms of music being composed for others to play (in the form of sheet music), then I think the number of composers working in that medium and the number of performers interested in new works is at an all-time low.

I am curious why you think the numbers of composers writing notated music for others to play is at an all-time low. My impression (but it's only an impression) is that the number is considerably higher now that it was for most of the 20th century. If you look at the composer listings at places like NewMusicBox, or at publishers like Boosey or Schott, it seems like there is a huge number of composers currently active.

#2101335 - 06/12/13 05:49 AM Re: Is there any good music being composed this day and age? [Re: noambenhamou]
Nikolas Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Tararex: Media music, and especially film music is dominated by the dreaded "temp track". While making the movie, or animation short, or game, or ad, or whatever, they put on the music they WOULD like to have, but is too expensive to license. So they approach the composer and ask him to compose a track very close, but not too close to the "temp(orary) track"! So a lot of things you hear in films, games and general media, or direct offspring of other works of music, better known...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (Atrys, accordeur, Alux, ADWyatt, 31 invisible), 1366 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153567 Topics
2250638 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
29 minutes 9 seconds ago
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission