2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2101594 06/12/13 04:55 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Hi.

I am trying to decide what to do with a piano I have had for years. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have the design patent number (dated 1936)and it has linked to an acrosonic spinet. However, mine is a monarch. So, is the design patent the basic furniture part of the piano?? Does it mean mine is a spinet?? Does it also mean the piano was made in 1936 or just the patent was 1936, and it could be newer(I read that Beethovan thinks a match should be taken to spinets.)

It has always been a fine piano, my upgrade from a clunky upright years ago. I loaned it to a relative 5 - 6 years ago, but app. 4 years ago it ended up in storage. It must now be moved and I am trying to make a decision as to what to do with it. You know, I have some deep emotional attachment but no longer play.
Just looking for some thoughts.

Thank you.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi You Bee Ducky - Welcome to Piano World!

From your description, it's certainly difficult to pin anything down. Photos would be a great help.

An Acrosonic could be either a spinet or a console. They were the "furniture" issues by Baldwin for home use. There were many different styles across the years.

The age could only be ascertained by the serial number of the piano, and not by patent numbers, or case style numbers.

There are some that feel that all spinets are firewood, and others do not. They can, and have, served a very useful purpose. The Acrosonic is considered to be the best of the lot. If it is in decent shape, there is no reason that it couldn't be a gratifying piano to play.

Please see if you can find the SN and send some photos, especially the inside with any numbers. We could then be able to give you more info.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you Marty,

I was guessing the serial number was needed smile. That I do not currently have. The piano is a ways away ...As I said it is not labeled as an acrosonic on the keyboard drop down(?), but a Monarch. I have spent hours trying to figure this out over the internet. I do have some pictures, but they are just living room pics and not digital. It is a beautiful piece of furniture...Our guessing is that it is 40" tall...just from those pictures. However some sites say spinets are 36" - 38" tall and others say 36" to 40". Although I had lessons for over 10 years and played lots, my basic knowledge of pianos is not good. The relatives want me to give it to their daughter, but I have no clue about the value, and she is a rather unappreciative sort of person. Makes my decisions hard.

I thoroughly enjoyed this piano for a number of years.

Thks for your input!! smile

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Oh, I though you were referring to a case style, rather than a brand.

Sorry, I am not familiar with a Monarch piano.

The definition of a spinet is not the cabinet height, it is the design of the key action. As spinet has what is called a "drop action."

Last edited by Minnesota Marty; 06/12/13 05:32 PM. Reason: further point

Marty in Minnesota

I
OP Offline
I
Hi again Marty,

OK, I have read that about the drop action.

Guess i was trying to understand the "design patent"...I am making the common sense application that this is the "design/furniture style". The tag that is on the back of the piano is the "design patent". When I researched the "design patent" number, I found an acrosonic spinet...that link had the Serial number/Design Pattern number. Monarch is a Baldwin product if my research has been correct. Lordy, one never knows what one will find on the internet and how accurate it is.
This forum seemed to have some very knowledgable people. Thus, my trying here smile

thanks again

Last edited by ibeeducky; 06/12/13 05:46 PM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Monarch and Acrosonic are both Baldwin labels. A design patent could refer to both of them.

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
BDB - Tell us about the Monarch pianos. Quality, construction, etc.

Marty in Minnesota

B
BDB Offline
B
Sorry, I am not that old.

My suspicions are that it was so dealers could say, "If you can find the same piano at a better price, ..."

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Ducky,

Look at it this way, if you get it tuned and serviced it might just lure you back to playing!

Marty in Minnesota

I
OP Offline
I
OMG Marty, that was my first email back. Moving a piano around is a huge pain...But, reality is that I am getting older...and well life happens. Just hard to let something go that was so important in one's life I guess smile

I have looked all over for information about Monarch's. and they are harder than anything to really find out anyting about.

But, I do thank you ever so much for trying!!

Last edited by ibeeducky; 06/13/13 10:29 PM. Reason: typos
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
"Monarchs" were Baldwins second tier along with "Hamilton". (I know there cannot be a third second tier. But who's on first anyway?). Starting some time in the 1920's. If a grand they usually had a bass sustain middle pedal instead of a sostenuto. The pedals and trap-work was less solid than Baldwin's.

They sounded and played quite well. Certainly better than their contemporary competition from Brahmbach and Kimball.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
I
OP Offline
I
Ahh, Ed McMurrow, RPT. I have found someone that knows a bit about Monarchs smile Holy moly!!!

Thank you for responding. So, a Monarch is a second tier.....or maybe third tier. It still has
always been a great piano to me. Thus, my quanadry.

Last edited by ibeeducky; 06/15/13 09:11 PM.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission