2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JimmyT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi folks,

Just joined and have a quick question -- I am planning on purchasing a keyboard around September…does it pay to push this off until January when new models are announced at NAMM? I'm in the $700-$1200 USD price range and have a shortlist of required features (i.e., 88 weighted keys, built in sounds, midi, pitch bend/mod) and have a decent idea of at least some of the keyboards I want to try (Casio PX350/5s, Yamaha P155, and others).

A few more details of my situation follow:

As a child, I had fourteen years of classical piano (about five of which I took semi-seriously). I also played keyboards in a few rock bands and had a multimoog and some Roland model that I can’t remember. When I went to college, I stopped playing completely and decided to start again two weeks ago – about 28 years later. I opted to take jazz/blues piano lessons this time, found a great instructor and have quite a bit of catching up to do -- way beyond knocking some rust off.

I have a good upright Yamaha but when my youngest goes to bed I am relegated to practicing on the, quite painful, Casio WK-1800 my dad purchased for the grandkids. I decided that if I stick with this through the summer, I will treat myself to an 88-key keyboard. My daughter has started voice and is interested in recording so I would love for the keyboard to function as a decent midi controller as well.

Thanks in advance,
--JT

E
E
I'm also wondering if I should hold off but I only have a keyboard to use right now.

There's a summer Namm show next month which is what I'm mainly waiting for. Next January for the winter Namm would be too long for me to wait. if there are new announcements at the summer show they'd be out by around September I guess. Is there a trend for the winter show to be bigger and for the big announcements to be made there or are they equal?

J
JimmyT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Looking at the wikipedia entry, it seems the summer NAMM is only about 25% the size of the larger winter NAMM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAMM_Show

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Bear in mind that even if the pianos you would like to come out do at NAMM it will be a while before they are actually available for sale. In some cases it can be quite a while. That's practically a year from now.

In digital pianos, as in all tech, waiting results in a better price and quality item. But it also means a year without the use of the product. Personally I don't expect a ground-breaking new piano in that range any time soon, and if there are new models they won't be very different from existing models (particularly in Yamaha...they have changed almost nothing in their medium/low end DP lineup for many years). And the Casio you mention is pretty new so it won't be replaced any time soon, I think.

Of course, you need to decide for yourself how impatient you are and how likely you think it is that good stuff will come out. My personal view is that the next few months (up to and including September) is a fine time to buy and feel relatively little buyer's remorse.

Last edited by gvfarns; 06/13/13 10:15 AM.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
If you don't have a regular dealer, shop the holiday sales at the big online dealers. Most offer 15% off their regular discounted prices and free shipping.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
J
JimmyT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks...I didn't consider the delay from announcement to sales...waiting past January would be pushing it too far out for me. My idea was that given the feature set and price point of the new Casio's, there might be a manufacturer or two feeling the need to respond this NAMM which would put downward pressure on pricing.

I didn't even think about the holiday sales...in the US do they run the same time as most consumer appliance holiday sales (e.g., the next two would be Independence Day and Labor Day?

--JT

E
E
Originally Posted by JimmyT
Looking at the wikipedia entry, it seems the summer NAMM is only about 25% the size of the larger winter NAMM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAMM_Show

Yes the summer NAMM does appear to be far less significant. Looking back to last year though the Kawai CA95 which was a big upgrade to the CA93 was announced at the summer event. Kawai VPC1 and Casio PX-5S I think were announced at this years winter event. Maybe there were more too.

Don't know if it's worth waiting a month for me. I'd really like to see a successor to the MP10 with the VPC1's action more sounds on it with Harmonic Imaging XL, a bit slimmer and lighter and compatibility with the triple pedal. I may resort to getting something cheap with a decent hammer action to get started (like Yamaha P-35) and then sell it on when this or maybe an RD700NX successor come out. I could just get the VPC1 now but quite risky having never used VST's before.

J
JimmyT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Completely forgot about Father's Day sales...15% off at musiciansfriend.com as we speak.

That PX-5S does look nice. Given my layoff, it is going to take awhile for me to wipe my 30 year old brand perception of Casio based on this: [Linked Image]
I also still think of LG as Lucky Goldstar as well smile

C
C
Originally Posted by JimmyT
Completely forgot about Father's Day sales...15% off at musiciansfriend.com as we speak.

That PX-5S does look nice. Given my layoff, it is going to take awhile for me to wipe my 30 year old brand perception of Casio based on this: [Linked Image]
I also still think of LG as Lucky Goldstar as well smile

Hahaha. I remember the VL-Tone and had a similar perception about Casio too.

Until I tried the x50 series ... I bought a Casio Celviano AP-450 a month ago.

- Anirut J.
Out-of-tune mid 70's acoustic Bentley upright and Casio Celviano AP-450

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission