2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Originally Posted by noambenhamou
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Originally Posted by noambenhamou
We have a saying in Hebrew: "regarding taste and smell, there is no debate".

A better translation would be "Taste and smell do not argue."

"על טעם ועל ריח אין להתוכח"

Are you really a Hebrew speaker? :-)

(Here's a link to the Hebrew Wiktionary.)

Ken. Ani meisrael. Very cool you recognize that phrase smile hahahaha

Ani lo medeberet ivrit. That's all I remember from my attempt to learn Modern Hebrew. I used to have clever little stickers on my keyboard to type the Hebrew letters, but Windows made it tricky to switch to right-to-left reliably.

I hope to persist with learning piano longer than I did with Hebrew. It's similar, though. Practice, practice, practice. And occasional shouting.

L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
S&S D, NY vs. Hamburg. Agree they are converging but they are still different. I do think they are the same design but they are built differently. They now both use the same plate. My Hamburg has a sightly different plate that used to be used in Hamburgs. As stated the hammers are different but I do not see that as a design difference. They now both use Alaskan sitka for the sound board. Hamburg has not adapted the accelerated action that NY has. Hamburg tunes to A 442 while NY tunes to A-440. (I have it from a reliable source that Horowitz had his NY D tuned sharp) The NY D has a compression crowned board while the Hamburg has ribbed crown. I believe the wood used in NY rims is somewhat different. (not sure about this one) The wood is seasoned (cured) differently. Thereby the caution in having a Hamburg in North America. The finished case style is slightly different. The NY one looks more modern to me. I hear Hamburg will be using the NY pedal box. Probably since they are produced in NY with computer milling machines (no mistakes). This would not make a difference to the sound of course. There may be other differences I am unaware of.

Mr. N I am still curious as to how you have a new model D and you're not happy. Didn't you play the piano before you bought it?

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by LJC
S&S D, NY vs. Hamburg. Agree they are converging but they are still different. I do think they are the same design but they are built differently.

Don't forget the sostenuto...

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Norbert
There is not that much difference between Hamburg and New York Steinways. In both cases, it depends more on how they are voiced.

You're sure of this?

Both pianos are apparently specifically designed to sound very differently. The're using very different hammers.

Steinway has always been first one pointing this out....

Norbert

This article might shed some light on the subject:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/PDFarchive/2011_SteinwayFitAndFinish.pdf

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Hello Mr. Cohen, that link you gave just above was very informative, it went far in answering some questions that I had about the current best practices of hammer prep at Steinway. Thank you.

The impression however is that if you buy replacement hammers at Steinway according to best practices, they must be purchased for the exact model you have, and that because most rebuild shops and owners don't have pounding machines to break in these new/improved low-lacquer hammers, it will take a long time of playing to manually pound in the hammer wool to get good sound. Is that your impression?

Regards -

Last edited by phacke; 06/15/13 04:01 AM.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LJC

Mr. N I am still curious as to how you have a new model D and you're not happy. Didn't you play the piano before you bought it?

LJC, nice to see you posting. Great memories of playing your Hamburg D!

There was a thread that was closed that might explain it better. In the opening statement, Mr. N stated "I flew to the factory about 9 months ago and picked the best one out of 5."

Although closed, the thread is still available to view.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ding%20a%20Steinway%20H.html#Post2095668

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
What does that say about the other four … grin

Wow, I'm being a real noodge today.

O
Orz Offline
O
Originally Posted by LJC
I believe the wood used in NY rims is somewhat different. (not sure about this one) The wood is seasoned (cured) differently. Thereby the caution in having a Hamburg in North America.

I went to STS factory tour with the local dealer about a year ago, and I remember seeing a big pile of cut Maple wood pieces for the rims. The guide said they were about to ship them to Hamburg...

Personally I have never heard of Hamburgs having their Renner hammers replaced with New York hammers.

It's always seems going the other way around.
In fact we've done few in past ourselves - by owners request.

They later were VERY happy with results.

Not saying it couldn't have gone the other way either...

Norbert

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phacke
The impression however is that if you buy replacement hammers at Steinway according to best practices, they must be purchased for the exact model you have, and that because most rebuild shops and owners don't have pounding machines to break in these new/improved low-lacquer hammers, it will take a long time of playing to manually pound in the hammer wool to get good sound.
Regards -

Breaking in a similar type of hammer Steinway New York uses. These are made by Ronsen and have a softer pliable felt then what most other companies use. Every piano we rebuild no matter what hammer is used, get this "pounding" for 30 hours. We also go this on our Walter grands in our prep sequence.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4-xGK2tQyaY[/video]

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phacke

The impression however is that if you buy replacement hammers at Steinway according to best practices, they must be purchased for the exact model you have, and that because most rebuild shops and owners don't have pounding machines to break in these new/improved low-lacquer hammers, it will take a long time of playing to manually pound in the hammer wool to get good sound. Is that your impression?

The last 3 rebuild shops I've visited all had "pounding in" machines, fwiw.
It took a couple of years of playing for the "wooly" model A in my office to start developing a nice range of tone colors, though I intentionally bought one that wasn't too loud due to space limitations and knowing it was going to get played 20 hours a week during the school year.

Techs that I speak to that work on new Steinways seem to like their current production hammers an awful lot.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Ed- Whats' different about the sostenuto?

Roberta - Nice to hear from you too! Thanks for the answer. If Mr. N thought his piano good enough to buy but now does not like it I suspect his problem is room acoustics.

Re hammers - I have heard that S&S NY changed their hammers in some way. I heard this through my tech whose friend is a prominent concert artist and teacher and was asked by S&S to try the new hammer. He evidently liked it very much. After I heard this I asked a salesman about it at Steinway Hall but he knew nothing about it. I recently changed the hammers on my S&S and was quite surprised by the improvement in sound, but then as my tech says, I was driving on bald tires.

It's interesting how much difference 'identical' hammers by same manufacturer can do.

Apparently Hamburg tries a number of sets of several for each single piano. They run of course only few hammers in the different sections of piano - not entire sets.

The hammers are exclusive made and supplied by Renner [ thinking used to be Abel..]

While playing in by machines or hand is fine, there obviously is a 'suitability' to be detected right from beginning.

What also counts is what happens later: hammers need to be shoulder sanded for evenness and voiced to piano's ideal tone
by someone competent.

Several companies I know do similar things, alas can be dangerous.

Dr. Laul ended up marrying one of the music students who was hired to play pianos in - at factory....

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 06/16/13 02:32 PM.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by LJC
Ed- Whats' different about the sostenuto?

The last Hamburg piano I saw had the sostenuto rod mounted on the belly rail.

L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
The last Hamburg piano I saw had the sostenuto rod mounted on the belly rail.

I wasn't aware of that change but I think its a great idea.

B
BDB Offline
B
It should be noted that the process of playing in hammers is not the same as aging hammers. Most materials, including felt, will change due to oxidation, and that takes time.

Semipro Tech
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission