Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2100563 - 06/10/13 07:14 PM Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea?
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I saw this article today, and didn't find any reference to it yet here. Interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2013/jun/07/bechstein-piano-new-ivory-intolerable

From what I have heard, the new ivory that is documented as legal should be OK, having come from already dead animals. But I have also heard from others that the animals are already dead because poachers killed them, and the documentation is somehow faked.

There is also mammoth ivory and cattle bone for use on keytops, which certainly does no harm to the elephants.

Don Mannino RPT

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2100576 - 06/10/13 07:37 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
I don't know about the legalities, but playing on dead animal parts gives me the creeps. That was one of the many reasons I hated playing my cousins old 1896 Steinway.

#2100600 - 06/10/13 08:10 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Ivory was never a good idea. It was better than what else was available, until it was not any more.

#2100619 - 06/10/13 08:51 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: BDB]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: BDB
Ivory was never a good idea. It was better than what else was available, until it was not any more.

Totally agree

#2100624 - 06/10/13 09:03 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
SBP Offline

For piano restoration or repair, legal ivory's a good idea, especially if the piano has many keys with the ivory chipped off, but not enough to fully justify a full recovering. For new pianos, maybe if you want. I've never had any qualms about playing on ivory keyboards, except when they're brittle or look like someone peed on them.

Personally, I'd actually be interested in seeing a mother of pearl piano keyboard. That would look pretty awesome, but I'm not too sure how that'd feel or how durable it'd be.

#2100630 - 06/10/13 09:14 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
Abalone are endangered species, too.

#2100636 - 06/10/13 09:28 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: KawaiDon
From what I have heard, the new ivory that is documented as legal should be OK, having come from already dead animals. But I have also heard from others that the animals are already dead because poachers killed them, and the documentation is somehow faked.

Don Mannino RPT

Hi Don,

If you deal with a trusted broker, you can rest easy that "art ivory" is being used. This is not ivory taken from carcasses, it is ivory taken from art, trophies, or other such long dead animals.

One exceptional trophy could yield many ivory keyboards and, in a weird way, is a healthy re-purposing of a relic from a day when an elephant on your wall was sign that you were well traveled, tough, ... and wealthy.

Sure, paperwork can still be faked, but a registration number cannot be faked. It can be checked if you have any doubts.

Bottom line - know who you do business with.

My 2 cents,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2100638 - 06/10/13 09:32 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
9000 Post Club Member

Having said that, requests for new genuine ivory are getting rarer and rarer.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

#2101135 - 06/11/13 07:48 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: BDB]
Miguel Rey Offline

Originally Posted By: BDB
Abalone are endangered species, too.

In what part of the country? Not down here, its grown, harvested we sell it by the can and export to all over the world.

Not sure it would look good for piano keys tho smile

#2101455 - 06/12/13 12:34 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
DashanDad Offline

Loc: Iowa
Cattle, Elk and Bison Bone when polished are excelent stand ins for ivory.

In the end it will be about the market for Ivory. So long as someone wants to buy it someone will be willing to provide it. That created the motive and economic oportunity to try and launder illegal ivory. Illegal ivory won't stop untill the value of the ivory is lower than some more desireabel alternative.

Unfortunately Pianos are a tiny fraction of the demand for ivory. Many eastern and Mid East cultures use alot of it. And so Like Rhino horns market value will be expected to increase as scarcity increases. Basicaly fewer elephants the more incentive to get the ivory... till it's gone. prices can rise parabolicaly. When you are an African villager or farmer with 3 beans to your name it isnt' realy your fault that 1 tusk can feed your family for several years and they are something of a pest!

Mammoth ivory is fairly plentiful but must be gotten here from Eastern Europe and former Soviet countries. Most is stained brown from time. What little is white again creates the opportunity for trying to launder the illegal stuff.

My advice, if you care about elephants don't buy ANY ivory and ridicule those that do. If you must have a natural product then go for cow bone. But elk, moose and bison will be denser and finer grained and as such possibly easier to clean. You can get the raw bleached bones at moscow hide and fur. There may be companies that make bone keytops.

Making keytops from tusks must be highly wasteful. Unless there is a way to press it flat the flats must be cut from round sections. You could order few bison scapulas, hips and leg bones and probably make out well.

#2101553 - 06/12/13 03:38 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: DashanDad]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: DashanDad
Cattle, Elk and Bison Bone when polished are excelent stand ins for ivory. There may be companies that make bone keytops.

Making keytops from tusks must be highly wasteful. Unless there is a way to press it flat the flats must be cut from round sections. You could order few bison scapulas, hips and leg bones and probably make out well.

Yes, cow tibia is currently available for keytops.

#2101558 - 06/12/13 03:49 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Top pianists don't care about these things.

They're too busy playing and enchanting audiences...

Norbert

#2101676 - 06/12/13 07:41 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
master88er Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Legal or not, our sensibilities should be directed towards non-animal, sustainable products. I find the new Ivolan (mineral)keytops to be very nice to play on.

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#2101678 - 06/12/13 07:46 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
If mineral based keytops work well, how about long term durability.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2101681 - 06/12/13 07:50 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
If mineral based keytops work well, how about long term durability.

I'm not in any hurry, but I want one of those!
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2101683 - 06/12/13 07:51 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: Norbert]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Norbert
Top pianists don't care about these things.

They're too busy playing and enchanting audiences...

Norbert
The only reason they might not care is they have no choice so in that sense it is not an issue. The tactile feel is very important to any pianist beyond an elementary level. If this was not the case all makers would used the cheapest kind of plastic, like the kind on the least expensive digitals, for their white keys.

#2101732 - 06/12/13 09:46 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: master88er]
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: master88er
Legal or not, our sensibilities should be directed towards non-animal, sustainable products. I find the new Ivolan (mineral)keytops to be very nice to play on.

I agree! They are very nice.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

#2101888 - 06/13/13 09:48 AM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have ivory on my Petrof and compared with the plastic caps on my Yamaha, I really enjoy the ivory more. There is some grip to it. Now I did play on a Roland that had a simulated ivory feel and I liked that as well. So as long as there is that rip feel and not slipperiness I'm fine with whatever product. If one of my ivory caps broke on the Petrof, I'd want to replace it with something close to the look and feel of the other keys, but I would look into alternatives to ivory.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2101895 - 06/13/13 10:04 AM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have a much better idea. How about keys made from the teeth and bones of executed poachers? Maybe that would stop the senseless slaughter of these magnificent animals for the pleasure of man.

#2102232 - 06/13/13 11:39 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
SBP Offline

I actually heard that elephants are beginning to evolve away from having large ivory tusks, due to excessive poaching. So in the future, it's quite likely that new ivory will be not just illegal but downright impossible to get.

#2102391 - 06/14/13 09:58 AM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
Frankni Offline

Loc: UK
What about "old" ivory? That is, mammoth ivory. I heard there is plenty of that. But they said so also about oil, and in fact like "fossile" fuel, of fossile tusks, however plenty there is, there is always going to be a finite and limited amount. Hence, not a good idea in my book, to use them. It also may create a shadow market in the illegal trade.
For my piano I opted for artificial ivory. I heard good things about it, and it is more affordable -- both for me as well as for the planet.

#2102459 - 06/14/13 12:22 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ivory certainly is beautiful to play on, but it was more beautiful on the elephants and I think that these days we should be moving away from ivory. If an old piano has an ivory keyboard in good condition and it is to be restored with the original ivory, fine. I have an old piano with ivory and I like playing on it. However, if the keyboard needed to be replaced I don't think I'd want to have a new ivory keyboard installed, unless they could find a way to recycle the original keytops which is laborious if at all possible.

I think the best thing in this day and age is to steer away from using 'new' ivory altogether. We live in a more enlightened time and the fact is we don't need it.

#2102531 - 06/14/13 02:31 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: joe80]
terminaldegree Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: joe80
Ivory certainly is beautiful to play on, but it was more beautiful on the elephants and I think that these days we should be moving away from ivory. If an old piano has an ivory keyboard in good condition and it is to be restored with the original ivory, fine. I have an old piano with ivory and I like playing on it. However, if the keyboard needed to be replaced I don't think I'd want to have a new ivory keyboard installed, unless they could find a way to recycle the original keytops which is laborious if at all possible.

I think the best thing in this day and age is to steer away from using 'new' ivory altogether. We live in a more enlightened time and the fact is we don't need it.

+1
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2102536 - 06/14/13 02:45 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Its a catch 22..you'd have to prove it came from a sick dying elephant "naturally"
and I'm sure there's no elephant graveyard.. like in the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movie

#2104999 - 06/19/13 06:39 PM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
No. I don't think using any new ivory is a good idea. Whether or not it is supposed to be "legal."

Stories like this:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/19/opinio...rss_igoogle_cnn
are simply too common.

Even if very acceptable substitutes (Neotex?) were not available it would still be a bad idea.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2105213 - 06/20/13 05:25 AM Re: Is new "Legal" ivory a good idea? [Re: KawaiDon]
joe80 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Exactly Del. Ivory is for the elephants. At the time we used ivory in keyboards, people were far less eco conscious and more laissez-faire with such things. The fact is that even using reclaimed ivory might stimulate the trade and demand. It's one thing restoring a piano that ALREADY has ivory keys, but it's quite another replacing ivory with ivory, or plastic with ivory. It's time to move on. No matter how beautiful ivory is on a piano keyboard, it's far more beautiful in it's original setting, and I feel that it's not actually ours to take. At all.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, aesop, 36251, 36 invisible), 1417 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156848 Topics
2304658 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hi Everyone
by JoyBug
08/21/14 10:02 PM
Do pianists care?
by Ed Foote
08/21/14 09:44 PM
Can we strengthen the fingers?
by rov
08/21/14 08:53 PM
Hello to Everyone and to PianoStudent88
by Gene Williams
08/21/14 08:23 PM
Is this Piano Purchase Tax deductible?
by master88er
08/21/14 08:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission