Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2102593 - 06/14/13 06:34 PM Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I have recently started teaching an absolutely adorable young girl who lost her foot last year in a lawnmower.

We just got to a piece with pedalling, and she looked very uncomfortable trying to get the prosthetic to move the pedal up and down, and I realised it's probably not going to be very effective down the track when the pedalling gets faster and more complicated.

I told her she could use her other leg, but then noticed she was all off balance doing that. I left it there, because I didn't want to make an even bigger deal out of it since i know it's a sensitive subject, but now I'm wondering long term what I should do. Encourage her to figure out pedalling with the prosthetic, or let her sit skewed when she plays with pedal.

She is extremely keen, and has natural talent, so I don't want to make the wrong decision in advising her. What would you suggest?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2102596 - 06/14/13 06:41 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Without more information, it's hard to make suggestions from a distance. Is part of her coordination problem one of distance? Would it help to have a pedal extender like for a smaller child? Would bringing the leg higher up give her more control over the motion?

Secondly, and this is going to sound a bit flippant …. um, what about the harpsichord? If she enjoys the keyboard, she might like an instrument without a nasty sustain pedal.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#2102616 - 06/14/13 07:46 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
AndyJ Offline

Loc: Near Dayton, Ohio USA
A couple of weeks ago I met a young man at my nephew's high school graduation. He was born missing one hand and the lower ends of both legs. He had recently won a national table-tennis tournament, competing against fully able-bodied kids.

I have to think that a girl with a prosthetic foot can learn to pedal.

#2102620 - 06/14/13 07:49 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Seems to me that there is no right answer here, except more discussion and trial-and-error, and maybe some laughter and a few potential tears, for the two of you as you sort this out together.

Explain to her that using the damper pedal will be vital to her playing the piano, so it's time for her to start experimenting, given her disability. I would think she would be better off pedalling with her good foot (her left foot), and just get used to sitting differently at the piano. But if she has enough mobility with a prosthetic (her right foot, and the "correct" pedalling foot), then she'll get the hang of it.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (06/14/13 11:05 PM)

#2102632 - 06/14/13 08:40 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Beth,

You don't say what kind of prosthesis she has. You also don't say where the amputation is. For example, is it at mid-calf, or at the the knee? Higher up? All that makes a difference in terms of how much leverage your student can generate to play the pedal.

If the prosthesis is not properly articulated at the ankle, pedaling will be impossible. If it is articulated there but it's not adjusted properly, then it won't work well either. If the shape or size of the foot pad are are unsuitable, then it won't work either.

Myself, I'd have a talk with her orthopedist, her prosthetics maintenance technician, the physiotherapist, or the nurse/case manager who works with her. If you describe exactly what the physical needs are for this girl at the piano, I'm sure they can come up with a workable solution for her.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2102647 - 06/14/13 09:16 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
Brinestone Offline

I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a piano so that the sustain pedal is on the left instead of the right. Of course, that wouldn't help her at your house.

#2103170 - 06/16/13 03:22 AM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Brinestone]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Brinestone
I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a piano so that the sustain pedal is on the left instead of the right. Of course, that wouldn't help her at your house.

I wouldn't approach it by modifying the piano. That would tie her to one instrument.

I can imagine building a mechanism that sat on the floor, and transferred the motion of her _left_ foot to the _right_ pedal. Just levers and pivots . . .

That would be portable, and not terribly complicated. It might interfere with the una corda and sustain pedals, but she could play _lots_ of music without those.

I support the previous post suggesting talking to the people who made her prosthetic. I know a brace-maker, and she's brilliant about finding solutions to problems.

. Charles

#2103172 - 06/16/13 03:50 AM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
I don't have a prosthetic foot. But I do have ankles that are basically either fixed at a ninety-degree angle (when I'm wearing my orthosis), or contracted so my toes point down (when I don't have shoes on). I also have disturbed (but not completely absent) proprioception in my lower limbs, so that it's difficult for me to tell what my feet are doing, unless I'm looking at them. Basically, I think that comes about as close to what this girl is dealing with as is possible without actually missing the foot.

I pedal with my right foot, even though my overall mobility in that leg is worse than in the other one. I've found that trying to switch feet would cause unnecessary pain and tension after practicing for more than twenty minutes or so, and long-term, bad posture may cause more persistent problems, especially in a child so young.

I also don't put my heel on the floor when I'm using the pedal. Instead, I keep my foot at a ninety-degree angle (aided by my orthosis), and lift my entire upper leg slightly off the bench and then bring it back, which, with my knee and ankle fixed, causes the pedal to go up and down pretty predictably, even though I can't see or feel my foot.

I haven't played anything yet where really fast pedal changes were indispensable. My teacher and I have worked on ways to minimize the need for pedaling in some pieces (sometimes by changing fingerings, and sometimes simply by deciding that it's OK not to have the dampers lifted, or to keep them up a little longer). I think that, in the long run, we may have to start consciously selecting my repertoire in view of what I am and am not physically capable of in the pedaling department, but that won't be a huge problem. There is plenty of beautiful music to play with slow pedaling, or not too much of it, or none at all.

So unless her dream is to become a concert pianist (in which case: ouch), I don't think this is an insurmountable hurdle.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2103263 - 06/16/13 10:54 AM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Peter K. Mose]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
I would think she would be better off pedalling with her good foot (her left foot), and just get used to sitting differently at the piano.

That is what I would try first...seeing as she is not used to pedaling at all, sitting a bit sideways will not be an "un-learning" problem.

Then she could play on any piano, anywhere, without carrying around a contraption.

As an example, Marcia Ball is a well-known Blues pianist and singer who often sits a bit sideways, with her legs crossed, very un-conventional, (she doesn't use a lot of pedal) but she sure can play...check out her playing like that on Austin City Limits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTJku7nMF3o

#2103275 - 06/16/13 11:20 AM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Saranoya]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Originally Posted By: Saranoya

I also don't put my heel on the floor when I'm using the pedal. Instead, I keep my foot at a ninety-degree angle (aided by my orthosis), and lift my entire upper leg slightly off the bench and then bring it back, which, with my knee and ankle fixed, causes the pedal to go up and down pretty predictably, even though I can't see or feel my foot.

I think the thing is, with the greatest respect to Saranoya, we generally try to get the work to happen at the ankle, and not lifting the whole leg (work happening now at the hip, and could lead to all sorts of problems).

However if this kid has no ankle, then obviously not possible.

Levers allowing the left leg to press have already been mentioned. Or maybe, as I think used to happen, a lever pressed sideways by the knee? My be worth getting in touch with a local engineering college, as they may take it on as a student project.

And as a lower tech solution, if the kid is raising whole leg as described, they may have trouble keeping contact with the slippery rounded pedal. Perhaps a gripped sock and a little concave attachment to the prosthesis might help?

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2103321 - 06/16/13 12:52 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Sorry if it looked like I was suggesting that my imperfect solution should be exactly what this girl will end up doing. If she has a healthy left leg, and a solution can be found that will allow her to use it, more power to her.

My point was simply that even within the limits that she obviously has, a lot is possible. A previous piano teacher once told me that she wouldn't be able to teach me beyond the second year or so, unless something could be 'done about my feet'. We ended up parting ways after less than two months, for more than just that reason.

I'm sure some kind of solution can be found for this girl — ideally one that circumvents the missing foot entirely. And I'm glad she's found a teacher who respects her enthusiasm and talent enough to ask about creative solutions on the internet. Thank you, Beth_Frances, for not writing her off.

My message to teachers in general is this: never assume any of your students' limitations are an insurmountable hurdle, unless it's clear that the student has no interest in surmounting it. Calling something impossible is just another way of saying that you've decided to stop looking for a way to make it happen.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2103323 - 06/16/13 12:55 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Saranoya]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Saranoya

My message to teachers in general is this: never assume any of your students' limitations are an insurmountable hurdle, unless it's clear that the student has no interest in surmounting it. Calling something impossible is just another way of saying that you've decided to stop looking for a way to make it happen.

Beautiful advice for us all.

#2103365 - 06/16/13 02:38 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Amen, Saranoya. Please do not think for a moment what I posted was any criticism of what you do or of what you posted. It is inspiring to see how you have overcome these challenges.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2103457 - 06/16/13 05:56 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
pianomouse Offline

Loc: Europe
I have a student who can't lift her right foot because of some muscular problems. Her previous teacher let her play the piano without using any pedal for three years.
Now, she's pedalling with her left foot and doing great. She's a very talented pianist and her left foot has become used perfectly to pedalling in any way necessary. The only thing she can't do is using the left pedal. But as she just had to figure out for a chamber music piece, it makes her develop a soft playing with her fingers - in the end, this worked out beautifully.

The only thing I have to make her aware of from time to time is that she has to be very attentive to her way of sitting at the piano. We had to find out how she can sit balanced out, so both her arms are at the same distance to the keyboard, and still reach the right pedal with her left foot. It took some trying and now, she keeps her right foot behind the left which works fine for her.

Just try it out, try different hights of the piano bench and different distances to the piano. I wish you luck.

#2103478 - 06/16/13 06:50 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: pianomouse]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianomouse

Now, she's pedalling with her left foot and doing great. She's a very talented pianist and her left foot has become used perfectly to pedalling in any way necessary.

This is the only solution that makes any sense.

#2103598 - 06/16/13 11:52 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
Candywoman Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would contact a piano technician and get two problems solved. When she's at home, the damper pedal should be on the far left. When she's at other places, she needs a mechanism that allows her to use her left foot.

#2104317 - 06/18/13 11:15 AM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: rocket88]
Laurie R. Offline

Loc: Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
I agree that she should use her left foot.

A few years ago, I broke a bone in my right foot, and had an "air cast" on for 6 weeks. I had accompanying, and other things that I needed to play for.

I was very surprised at how easily I was able to use my left foot.

I think that with a bit of experimenting, the student and teacher will be abe to find a way of sitting (maybe moving the bench, or angling it, or changing the height) that will permit this student to find a comfortable way to approach this.

Good luck.

#2104636 - 06/18/13 09:15 PM Re: Pedalling question - student with prosthetic right foot [Re: Beth_Frances]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Okay, I think after reading all your responses I'll stick wtih having her pedal with her left foot. The amputation is just below the knee, and I just don't think that kind of stress on her hips would be pleasant or healthy. Tori Amos also pedals with her left foot, and has her right stradled over the piano stool lol!

I felt awful when I realised the foot was going to be any kind of issue with piano playing. She's a brave kid though. Lesson before last I told her that the next piece in her book was really difficult, just to psychologically prepare her for working hard at the next lesson. Blow me down with a feather duster - the kid figured it out herself at home and played it to me perfectly the next lesson! I guess having something like that happen to you makes you realise that the only way to get through a problem is to face it head on.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
Who's Online
122 registered (aesop, accordeur, anotherscott, Abby Pianoman, 40 invisible), 1167 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157611 Topics
2315121 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission