Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, ajames, A-Tom, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1678 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2100761 - 06/11/13 03:00 AM Yamaha C series pianos with "F" before the serial number
Gesualdo Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Does anyone here know where the Yamaha C series pianos with the serial number preceded by "F" were built? I know the "T" means it was built in Thomaston, Georgia and the "U" means it was made in South Haven, Michigan, but for a short time in the 90s there were some very nice C series pianos made with "F" preceding the serial number. The Yamaha webpage doesn't even mention them! I recently found a C3 with the serial number F 547XXXX (I won't give the real number as the current owner may not appreciate that). And I found a C5 which also started with F. Both serial numbers checked out on the Yamaha page as made for the U.S. market, so they are not "gray-market," but I cannot find out any info about them! I have noticed that the "T" and "U" builds are followed by 6 digit serial numbers and the "F" is followed by a 7 digit number.

Anybody know? It's driving me crazy!

Thanks,

Mike

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2100808 - 06/11/13 06:03 AM Re: Yamaha C series pianos with "F" before the serial number [Re: Gesualdo]
albynism Offline

I have a 1995 G2 that starts with F. It's made in Hamamatsu, Japan. Not sure if that helps.

#2100846 - 06/11/13 09:33 AM Re: Yamaha C series pianos with "F" before the serial number [Re: Gesualdo]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I have an older (1978) Yamaha C7 and it has the "B" in the serial number. I think it has to do with the particular model C because they changed certain things from year to year as they tried to improve the design. This is what I've read before...

Rick

#2100862 - 06/11/13 10:22 AM Re: Yamaha C series pianos with "F" before the serial number [Re: Gesualdo]
Rotom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Most likely Yamaha updated or changed something on the piano from a previous version of the same piano. My piano has a serial starting with D. A,B,C,D,E,F, etc all exist as far as I know, but at some stage Yamaha eliminated the letter from the serial number, when exactly I am not sure.

#2100898 - 06/11/13 12:13 PM Re: Yamaha C series pianos with "F" before the serial number [Re: Gesualdo]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
All Yamaha C grands are built in Japan. The letter in front designates a modification in the design. Mostly they are minor, but occasionally they make a big deal out of them. The current models have an X in front of the serial number, and they are marketing them as the C3X, for example.

#2100904 - 06/11/13 12:26 PM Re: Yamaha C series pianos with "F" before the serial number [Re: Gesualdo]
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
blank

Edited by Grand Piano Haus (06/11/13 03:51 PM)
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

#2101010 - 06/11/13 03:58 PM Re: Yamaha C series pianos with "F" before the serial number [Re: Gesualdo]
Gesualdo Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Ah Ha! I got the answer from Yamaha. It's pretty interesting. The letter "F" in the C series was a secondary series number, it has nothing to do with location of build. In fact, NO Yamaha grands were ever built in the U.S. according to the Yamaha tech I talked to. Only uprights and consoles were made in GA and MI. The C3 has always been made in japan and they added the "F" in 1991-1994 to designate a design change which made the instrument far warmer than previous models. They dropped the "F" in 1995 but kept the design changes.

The instrument I am interested in buying was made in 1997, it's a C3 PE (no "F"). It has apparently been well maintained and is in the same geographic region I live in (same climate). The asking price is $14,900. I think that's a decent price. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Mike

#2102613 - 06/14/13 07:43 PM Re: Yamaha C series pianos with "F" before the serial number [Re: Gesualdo]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I paid $9000 earlier in the year for a C3 F (made in 1992) with virtually no usage, but that was a really good price. $14,900 sounds high to me. If I were you, I'd look for some wiggle room in the price.
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
12/18/14 01:26 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159959 Topics
2349136 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission