Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2102688 - 06/14/13 11:06 PM Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware...
Gary Fowler Offline

If you think tuning pianos is easy money, forget it! It takes years to build a reputation as a good piano technician. Learn to set a temperment. If you can't set a temperment, you are a wannabe, PERIOD!

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2102690 - 06/14/13 11:12 PM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Thanks, Dad. Your encouragement is infectious.

cough cough

#2102693 - 06/14/13 11:24 PM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Gary Fowler Offline

I am all about encouragment. I am encouraging tuner wannabe's to just learn to set a temperment. It's an art. But when you learn it, it will make you an excellent life

#2102711 - 06/15/13 12:08 AM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
Originally Posted By: Gary Fowler
If you think tuning pianos is easy money, forget it! It takes years to build a reputation as a good piano technician. Learn to set a temperment. If you can't set a temperment, you are a wannabe, PERIOD!

While that may have been true in the past, there is growing documentation that people without any temperament skills are able to tune at a level above what was 'normal' for a good number of aural techs just a few decades ago...

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#2102723 - 06/15/13 01:06 AM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Once you understand how all the intervals intersect, and how inharmonicity shifts these intersections so as to enable optimal octave spread, temperament is easy. UNISONS are difficult! And yes, all tuning is unison tuning.

It is the control of the tuning pin's elasticity that requires careful neuromuscular control.

And yes, using an ETD can greatly help develop those skills. But I must admit, being able to do superb aural tuning is a foundation for professionalism. Being able to use an ETD in addition to that skill level makes ones professionalism more robust by having more tools at your disposal.

#2102758 - 06/15/13 03:27 AM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Being able to judge what propose an EDT is certainly more.

In the end, tuning with an ETD at real professional level mean doing the job twice, once to use the ETD to install tension (a pro tuner does not need that but it may help for low basses may be) then passing all the tuning by ear.

Sound more as a complication to me, but I used Tune lab lately to bring to 442 a grand that had slept under 440 so I was sure of not modifying too much the basses later (even if I am unsure it make such a difference)

Pleased to see that using pin tension is no more considered as foolish as it was some years ago wink

#2102872 - 06/15/13 11:40 AM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I am all about encouragment. [...]

Well, Gary, I find that somewhat difficult to believe, since your recent posting history has left me wondering whether you've taken the time to smell the peonies before the rain washed them into the ground.

[...] I am encouraging tuner wannabe's to just learn to set a temperment. It's an art. But when you learn it, it will make you an excellent life

Perhaps, then, you can share some pointers that might actually help those who are on the path to learning. Allow me:

Haddorff Postcard No. 6, "Piano Tuning Made Easy"

Andy Strong
Student

#2102929 - 06/15/13 02:28 PM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Andy, please don't take the bait... You have one of the best helpers at your side already, and your piano work is not about "easy money" anyway.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2102936 - 06/15/13 02:45 PM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Mark R.]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Mark! I couldn't resist sharing what I've learned, though. wink

#2102987 - 06/15/13 04:54 PM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Cinnamonbear]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Thanks, Mark! I couldn't resist sharing what I've learned, though. wink

:-)

Sharing is good.

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#2103013 - 06/15/13 06:32 PM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Piano Tuning - 101

Lather
Rinse
Repeat

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2103130 - 06/16/13 12:22 AM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Gary Fowler Offline

I actually believe guys can use a machine(or an app) and set a decent temperment. But it's about more than a temperment. It's about the dedication and perseverance it prepresents to REALLY learn tuning. I have been at this a long time. The tuner friends of mine(all who tuned with a machine, God love em) from 20 or 30 years ago have one thing in common.... None of them are in the piano business anymore! Learning to set a temperament by ear represents the love one has for the tuning of pianos. Honestly, if I used a machine to tune, it would take all the fun out of it! Tuning pianos isn't even about making money[at least not for me]

#2103191 - 06/16/13 05:31 AM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: RonTuner]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
Ron Tuner: I like your videos. Now! how about a slow motion capture of an actual upright's action working.
I've searched the web and there is ZILCH=nothing!
Nothing that is a real action in motion.
PLEASE!

#2103196 - 06/16/13 06:31 AM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Gary Fowler]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
I actually believe guys can use a machine(or an app) and set a decent temperment. But it's about more than a temperment. It's about the dedication and perseverance it prepresents to REALLY learn tuning. I have been at this a long time. The tuner friends of mine(all who tuned with a machine, God love em) from 20 or 30 years ago have one thing in common.... None of them are in the piano business anymore! Learning to set a temperament by ear represents the love one has for the tuning of pianos. Honestly, if I used a machine to tune, it would take all the fun out of it! Tuning pianos isn't even about making money[at least not for me]

Agreed, and , may be strangely, learning to listen for a temperament open the ears as well for other things.

The abuse of ETD can lend to disinterest, I noticed that too.

and you never really know if you would have done differently in the end, so you persuade yourself "how good is it" "how precise", etc... and stop really listening
(in case you knew how to listen before then).

That said, a very good tool to visualise the string move, to see iof you are stable or not, it probably can help a lot when no teatcher is availeable, but ity can bring you to dead ends.

I am a little fautive as I pushed friends to use one , and 2 of them, I hear now in their tunings, they could do a hair better without the machine.
One is very conscious and do it "for the facility"
The other does not really hear that there is something "generic" in the justness he use.

In the absence of the ETD they would have evolved differently, I suppose.

All the best

#2103222 - 06/16/13 08:57 AM Re: Wannabe Piano Tuners Beware... [Re: Goof]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
Hmmm - How would I do slow motion....??? I've got just real basic gear without any post-production skills.(like what software?) I do have a grand action and a spinet action model that would let me play with this. Good idea!

I suppose I could just do a step-motion, or set up a screw-type something to press the key in a really controlled manner to point out the chain of events that happens as the action goes through the motion of playing?

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP7: Damper controller - bug or feature?
by Banshee
10/20/14 05:37 PM
MX100A Disklavier Field Service Manual-Wanted
by Shacky
10/20/14 05:12 PM
To bid.....or not to bid
by Bob
10/20/14 04:10 PM
Kawai ES100 splitting point
by tower120
10/20/14 03:54 PM
Is it really necessary to practice scales?
by rov
10/20/14 02:42 PM
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, alfredo capurso, Arizona Sage, ajames, 33 invisible), 1806 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158386 Topics
2325775 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission