2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
I don't walk into a shop and ask to take something away for free. In the same way I wouldn't expect anyone to ask for my services without payment.

I didn't say I expect it. Doesn't mean I don't want it and that if I were to get it that it would be violating anything. Ask? Really not that bold of a person.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by piano2
Here's my advice - stop wishing for something that hardly ever exists, and create some musical opportunities for yourself. Of course it's great to connect musically with your teacher, but there are lots of other people you can connect with as well.

Here are some ideas you could explore:
1. Find a duet partner - or two, or three. Sight read duets together, and pick some more difficult ones that will take more practice.
2. Organize some concerts yourself - at homes for senior citizens, libraries, etc. Your teacher could probably help you find some other students to perform, and would be grateful that you organized it.
3. Look for someone that you could accompany - perhaps a friend plays a different instrument and needs an accompanist?
4. If you go to church, volunteer to play the piano at services.
5. Volunteer to play for the choir at your current school or at an elementary school.
6. Form a band with some friends - you play the keyboard parts.
7. Play percussion for a community band - if you can read music and are willing to try different percussion instruments, it could work out.
8. Take a music theory, or music history course.

Most of my suggestions require a certain level of skill on the piano - if you are practicing 4-5 hours per day, I assume you are close to that level.

You can have fun with music in so many ways - don't depend on your teacher to do all the work.

Yes, nice advice. I should do this for fun, the reason I'm fixated on lesson time is because I'm interested in faster progress, which might be a false impression on my part.

Thank you.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Musiqientist
I should do this for fun, the reason I'm fixated on lesson time is because I'm interested in faster progress, which might be a false impression on my part.

Thank you.

Ah, yes indeed. Patience...

M
OP Offline
M
I should do this for fun, the reason I'm fixated on lesson time is because I'm interested in faster progress, which might be a false impression on my part.

Thank you.

I happen to think of that has a luxury I cannot indulge in. :p Patience? Instead of trying going after the best I can with full force? What's that suppose to mean?

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
"Looking for perfect teacher"

To be honest, in my opinion, you are already being too demanding.

Your "perfect" teacher may already have found the "perfect" student is not you.

In my experience perfect teachers are like perfect wives, or perfect Christmases, or perfect children, or perfect jobs, or...... well, I'm sure you get the picture.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

In my experience perfect teachers are like perfect wives, or perfect Christmases, or perfect children, or perfect jobs, or...... well, I'm sure you get the picture.

Give me a break, never said I was perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect teacher, it's just a title.

Anyhow, you would consider being demanding a minus in some cases then? I am not allowed to have desires think my own thoughts? I have not made any move in regards to what I mention on this thread. Or are you perhaps coming to this conclusion through other information you have collected about me?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Theres no such thing as a perfect teacher its always a compromise.

The guy I saw on Sunday ticked all the boxes, he arranges and composes, he even has a grand piano to use...

Except our timetables do not gel at all. He only has open slots when I am working.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M

Thank you.

I happen to think of that has a luxury I cannot indulge in. :p Patience? Instead of trying going after the best I can with full force? What's that suppose to mean?
Why do you think the suggestions given are an "indulgence"? Those very things could give you the "faster progress" you want without having to pay for extra lessons. Also, if you do any accompanying, they have to pay you which could then make more lessons affordable.

There's a saying in the Bible, "If a man does not work, he shall not eat." Don't have enough money for your dreams? Sacrifice a bit of your precious time and earn the money to make it happen. You will be killing two birds with one stone: make money doing what you love so that you can learn more about that which you love. Accompanying or collaborative piano is a more common way you will make a living as a pianist in this day and age. It's impossible to live off the money you'd make as a solo concert pianist. Best to learn some skills that will help you progress as a pianist and make you money.

Yet, for some reason, you seem to think you know best how to progress. You say you want more lessons, but would you really submit to what your teacher says, or would you dictate to them how you wish to go about learning like you are to the teachers on this forum?

You may find the perfect teacher, but are you the perfect student?

Last edited by Morodiene; 06/15/13 09:19 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

Give me a break, never said I was perfect. There is no such thing as a perfect teacher, it's just a title.

Give you a break, why? Now you make demands of me and we have never even met. If you read what I wrote you will see I didn't say you were perfect but I see no reason why anybody in a relationship with another person does not have the right to make equal demands.If you want perfection, why shouldn't they?

"It's just a title".

OK, so it doesn't matter then? You didn't mean it?

So do you mean any of the text, or is it, "just text"?
How do I know what bits you mean and what bits you don't mean?
I think you are back-pedalling there.....

Anyhow, you would consider being demanding a minus in some cases then?

Think about what you have written. The obvious answer is, "yes, of course I would", and so would you, if you are really aware of what you are writing. A very simple example is this, you may be demanding in a case where you have no right to be demanding.
I'm sure that annoys you but wouldn't it annoy you if people were demanding of you in a case where they shouldn't be?

Others have the right to demand from you what you demand from them.

I am not allowed to have desires think my own thoughts?

Where have I said that? I really cannot see this relating to what I have said.

I have not made any move in regards to what I mention on this thread. Or are you perhaps coming to this conclusion through other information you have collected about me?

Again you say something I find rather bizarre, but to answer your question, no, you really aren't of any consequence to me.

I hope you find the perfect answer on this web-site.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Specification for perfect teacher:

Must look like Marilyn Monroe ...
buxome and beautiful ... some like it hot.

But then I'm ugly ... no wonder nobody wants my services.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission