Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2102978 - 06/15/13 04:33 PM Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect'
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
You may find this interesting:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22871651

Quote:

People classified with perfect pitch may not actually be as in tune with the notes they hear as they think.

Played a long piece of music, a study group failed to notice when scientists turned the tones ever so slightly flat. They then misidentified in-tune sounds as being sharp.

Researchers say it demonstrates the adaptability of the mind even for those skills thought to be fixed at birth.

They have published the work in the journal Psychological Science.

Edited by Withindale (06/16/13 12:41 PM)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2102982 - 06/15/13 04:42 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Nobody is allowed to say I am not perfect , I have golden ears, no corrosion wink

(sometime missing the note by an exact semi tone, but stay true pitch wise - without being pretentious, only at the 440-42 level the precision is somewhat good, for the rest , note names, mostly)

#2103049 - 06/15/13 08:58 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I've always felt that it had more to do with pitch memory, and memory being what it is, it will be somewhat unreliable.

- Perfect pitch ... tossing a tuba into the dumpster and hitting an accordion. BDB - semipro tech
-----

#2103098 - 06/15/13 10:57 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
That Guy Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Fascinating... Thanks for sharing.
www.thattuningguy.com

#2103100 - 06/15/13 11:05 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
This has been established in other ways before. One exercise that Owen Jorgenson (author of books about historical temperaments and piano technician for the music department at Michigan State) used to do is to ask people in a music class to identify themselves as having "perfect pitch". Then he would start tuning a note on the piano that was about 1/2 step off. He would announce the note name and ask the perfect pitchers to raise their hands when he had gotten the string to the correct pitch for that note.

It was kind of like a bell curve. Some would raise their hands earlier than others and rarely would anyone be right on. He would try to tune a temperament by "perfect pitch" and it was always horribly way off.

Perfect pitch -- better called pitch memory -- is an interesting phenomenon and possibly useful ability , but nowhere close enough to be sufficient to tune a piano.

#2103104 - 06/15/13 11:20 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
Very interesting. Thank you.

I have only known of one - a blind client - who could identify any of the 88 by hearing alone. Most people think of this as "perfect pitch." It is really relative pitch. She could not identify A440 as opposed to A439 or 441 without aid of a fork or ETD. When someone comes along who can, for me that will be perfect pitch.

#2103128 - 06/16/13 12:17 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Having "Perfect Pitch" is something that has been referenced by musicians for well over two centuries. Pitch standards only became more uniform in the last century. Thus the evidence that the "Perfect" part is somewhat flexible has been well established.

#2103132 - 06/16/13 12:37 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Gary Fowler Offline

I have only known one person who has ever had "perfect pitch". She was a blind, autistic teenage girl that I was contracted by the state to teach piano tuning to. She happened to be a high functioning autistic, and they needed to find a vocation(job skill) for her. They told me, this girl has perfect pitch, and I was skeptical. The first time I met with her, I asked her to take the tuning hammer and set A-49 to where her ears thought it belonged. She fiddled around for about 2 or 3 seconds with the pin, and said, "I have it". I checked the note and it was %100 dead on the money!

#2103136 - 06/16/13 01:23 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I pity people who have something approaching perfect pitch. With my relative pitch, I find it excruciating enough to listen to guitar players etc play (enthusiastically) on out of tune instruments. Same for other instruments of course.
Anyone with (real) perfect pitch would almost never come across music that they could listen to and enjoy.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2103142 - 06/16/13 01:36 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Gary Fowler Offline

It's almost annoying having new customers often asking me if I have "perfect pitch". In a way, I don't want to burst their bubble(since they probably think that if anyone should have perfect pitch, it is the piano tuner). But I am always honest and tell them I don't have "the gift". But more importantly, it's TOTALLY unecessary to have perfect pitch in order to tune a piano. More important is good hearing and great ear training!

#2103143 - 06/16/13 01:40 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Gary Fowler Offline

It's almost annoying having new customers often asking me if I have "perfect pitch". In a way, I don't want to burst their bubble(since they probably think that if anyone should have perfect pitch, it is the piano tuner). But I am always honest and tell them I don't have "the gift". But more importantly, it's TOTALLY unecessary to have perfect pitch in order to tune a piano. More important is good hearing and great ear training!

#2103144 - 06/16/13 01:42 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

You can learn how to stop listening pitches but it can be terrible in some extreme cases indeed.

Does not cause problems with microcontonal music so it is more a reference and memory question probably, but some can get that sort of imprint and other no or not as early.
A tuner also recognise pitch different from what he is used to, also.

#2103161 - 06/16/13 02:55 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: David Jenson]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Originally Posted By: David Jenson
I've always felt that it had more to do with pitch memory, and memory being what it is, it will be somewhat unreliable.

This is where I am in this.

There have been so many times someone has tried to prove to me they have perfect pitch by using a piano as a reference.

#2103226 - 06/16/13 09:27 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
I am not exactly sure why people still refer to "perfect pitch" as a gift. There are several researchers on the subject who are convinced we are actually all born with it but around 5 years of age we learn to unlearn it. When we begin to structure things like the alphabet and numerology/math, this structuring interferes with the very different process that perfect pitch requires.

More recent developments in Japan in the past few years indicate that several schools are teaching very young children under the age of 5 to become aware of their inherant abilities on perfect pitch and refine it to a degree where the structured learning that follows later does not interfere with it. They have a very high success rate and it is getting quite popular for parents to enroll their children in the programs.

#2103307 - 06/16/13 12:33 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: bkw58]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
[quote=bkw58]Very interesting. Thank you.

I have only known of one - a blind client - who could identify any of the 88 by hearing alone. Most people think of this as "perfect pitch." It is really relative pitch. She could not identify A440 as opposed to A439 or 441 without aid of a fork or ETD. When someone comes along who can, for me that will be perfect pitch. [/quote

There are some interesting and rare abilities out there. I know an autistic piano technician who can "scratch" a bass string and tell you all the partials and their inharmonicity.

#2103311 - 06/16/13 12:42 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

The definition is not so perfect, but singing A 440 makes it. Then all other notes are in memory. What is strange is that I can miss a note name by half a steep.

But I could tune all notes in an octave at probable 10-20 cts near

#2103312 - 06/16/13 12:45 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Gary Fowler]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: Gary Fowler
I have only known one person who has ever had "perfect pitch". She was a blind, autistic teenage girl that I was contracted by the state to teach piano tuning to. She happened to be a high functioning autistic, and they needed to find a vocation(job skill) for her. They told me, this girl has perfect pitch, and I was skeptical. The first time I met with her, I asked her to take the tuning hammer and set A-49 to where her ears thought it belonged. She fiddled around for about 2 or 3 seconds with the pin, and said, "I have it". I checked the note and it was %100 dead on the money!

You were contracted by the state to teach her.... And the rest of the story?

Eschew obfuscation.

#2103637 - 06/17/13 01:48 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: kpembrook]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: kpembrook
Originally Posted By: bkw58
Very interesting. Thank you.

I have only known of one - a blind client - who could identify any of the 88 by hearing alone. Most people think of this as "perfect pitch." It is really relative pitch. She could not identify A440 as opposed to A439 or 441 without aid of a fork or ETD. When someone comes along who can, for me that will be perfect pitch.

There are some interesting and rare abilities out there. I know an autistic piano technician who can "scratch" a bass string and tell you all the partials and their inharmonicity.

Fascinating. Some really gifted folks out there.

#2103668 - 06/17/13 03:41 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Supply]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
Originally Posted By: Supply
I pity people who have something approaching perfect pitch. With my relative pitch, I find it excruciating enough to listen to guitar players etc play (enthusiastically) on out of tune instruments. Same for other instruments of course.
Anyone with (real) perfect pitch would almost never come across music that they could listen to and enjoy.

Jurgen, does this mean that you have problems listening to music at "baroque" pitch?

#2103707 - 06/17/13 07:14 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
I'm not sure about Jurgen, but I have this exact problem. I once made the mistake of buying a recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concerti that were played at "baroque" pitch. The interpretation as such is beautiful, but the semitone pitch difference bothers me so badly that I can't listen to the recording any more.

If it's a piece of music I don't know, I just assume the key I hear is the key it's written in. But if I know the music (as I do in the case of the Brandenburgs), I balk at the "wrong" pitch, and my musical experience is completely spoiled. Mind you, I've really tried to "groove" myself into the recording and listen past the exact pitch, but to no avail. It's wrong in my ears.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2103728 - 06/17/13 08:16 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Mark R.]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark R.
I'm not sure about Jurgen, but I have this exact problem. I once made the mistake of buying a recording of Bach's Brandenburg Concerti that were played at "baroque" pitch. The interpretation as such is beautiful, but the semitone pitch difference bothers me so badly that I can't listen to the recording any more.

If it's a piece of music I don't know, I just assume the key I hear is the key it's written in. But if I know the music (as I do in the case of the Brandenburgs), I balk at the "wrong" pitch, and my musical experience is completely spoiled. Mind you, I've really tried to "groove" myself into the recording and listen past the exact pitch, but to no avail. It's wrong in my ears.

A pianist friend of mine, who has perfect pitch, also sang in a baroque chamber choir for a while. She had to quit because she found it too difficult to sing well in tune.

#2103730 - 06/17/13 08:31 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
bkw58 Offline

Pitch - either "perfect" or otherwise - is where the boss says it is. smirk

When harpsichordists performed chamber works with the ASO, I always asked where to set the pitch. (Dowd French Double Concert). Invariably, the answer was, A440. When the Maestro himself both conducted and played the Brandenburg Concerti - all in one program - he too requested A440. Only once was I asked to slide the transposing manual down a semitone for a guest performer (roughly "Baroque pitch").

The A440 performances were very good - lively. To my ear anything set below A435 makes even a C major performance seem like a dirge.

#2103733 - 06/17/13 08:36 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Mark R. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
If it ain't B'roque, don't fix it.

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2103752 - 06/17/13 09:48 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: bkw58]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

When harpsichordists performed chamber works with the ASO, I always asked where to set the pitch. (Dowd French Double Concert). Invariably, the answer was, A440. When the Maestro himself both conducted and played the Brandenburg Concerti - all in one program - he too requested A440. Only once was I asked to slide the transposing manual down a semitone for a guest performer (roughly "Baroque pitch").

The A440 performances were very good - lively. To my ear anything set below A435 makes even a C major performance seem like a dirge.

Yeah, well try singing Beethoven 9 at 440. It was bad enough to perform at 420-430, but at 440, the chorus and soloists just scream and make a truly ugly sound. The guy hated women, I think.

#2103753 - 06/17/13 09:49 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Mark R.]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark R.
If it ain't B'roque, don't fix it.

Well said.

#2103759 - 06/17/13 10:10 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Mwm]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mwm

Yeah, well try singing Beethoven 9 at 440. It was bad enough to perform at 420-430, but at 440, the chorus and soloists just scream and make a truly ugly sound. The guy hated women, I think.

ASO did the 9th once or twice, but I have no idea what pitch the Maestro ordered for the day. I understand his major was voice, so perhaps he knocked it down a notch or two? I don't know.

#2103766 - 06/17/13 10:21 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: bkw58]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee

Greetings,
There was an oboist here that could tell if the pitch on the piano was at 439, and demonstrated it several times. I have a lot of customers that can not only tell you what note you just played, but they can also tell you every one of the 8 notes you play in a big chord. Scares me, sometimes.
Regards,

#2103770 - 06/17/13 10:33 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Ed Foote]
bkw58 Offline

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote

Greetings,
There was an oboist here that could tell if the pitch on the piano was at 439, and demonstrated it several times. I have a lot of customers that can not only tell you what note you just played, but they can also tell you every one of the 8 notes you play in a big chord. Scares me, sometimes.
Regards,

Thanks, Ed. If I understand you correctly, the oboist could do so by listening to the piano alone. This is amazing.

#2103787 - 06/17/13 11:11 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
I have this discussion with people on a regular basis. I tell people that the idea of "perfect pitch" is a sloppy use of the word "perfect". I also tell them that as a piano tuner I don't believe in perfect pitch. Every piano tunes a little bit differently inharmonicity. If different pianos have slightly different pitches for middle C, which one is perfect? Still, some people are skeptical. Many people seem to enjoy the idea that some individuals can do impossible things.

Edited by rysowers (06/17/13 11:12 AM)
www.pianova.net

#2103852 - 06/17/13 01:32 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Mwm]
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sandy Eggo, California
Originally Posted By: Mwm

I was the tenor soloist for a performance of the CPE Bach Magnificat last fall here locally. Having never done it before, I listened to a couple of recordings, and, while it was still at the limits of my range, I found it singable for me. I get to orchestra rehearsal, and it's nearly impossible for me (what a difference a half step makes!). The conductor was running it at A440, and the recordings were 1/2 step down; the way it's mostly performed, according to the conductor.

In the end, I surprised myself at my ability at singing lyric Baroque tenor...

#2103855 - 06/17/13 01:36 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: OperaTenor]
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member

I conducted the Mag at 440, but much prefer to listen to it at 415. It seems more calm. Kudos to you for singing it at 440.

#2103877 - 06/17/13 02:36 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: bkw58]
bkw58 Offline

...To my ear anything set below A435 makes even a C major performance seem like a dirge.

One does, indeed, use hyperbole here at his own peril.

#2104132 - 06/17/13 11:43 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Gary Fowler Offline

rxd, the rest of the story is, this gal(who is blind and autistic), tunes pianos for The University of Delaware.

#2104170 - 06/18/13 01:25 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Gary Fowler]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: Gary Fowler
rxd, the rest of the story is, this gal(who is blind and autistic), tunes pianos for The University of Delaware.

Thanks, Gary but what intrigues me is, did she ever tune a whole piano using this highly accurate pitch memory and what were the results?, is she able to tune to 442 when required with no problems?, what method does she tune by now.... So many questions.
Thanks.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2104186 - 06/18/13 02:23 AM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: bkw58]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

...To my ear anything set below A435 makes even a C major performance seem like a dirge.

One does, indeed, use hyperbole here at his own peril.

Tuning an instrument intended for 440 half step lower is real nonsense as the tone quality is lost with more unfocused pitches in mediums, loss of energy, etc.

If the instrument is intended to be tuned at 415 that is a different story.
I guess the tone quality may be more disturbing than the pitch, but it may be difficult for someone that is setup on 440 to have to think half a step lower.

#2105102 - 06/19/13 10:14 PM Re: Perfect pitch may not be so 'perfect' [Re: Withindale]
Gary Fowler Offline

rxd,

The answer is NO! I made her use a tuning fork as a pitch reference. I taught her to set a termperment the right way, the same way I was taught. (tuning by fouths and fifths, and checking with thirds and sixths along the way). I am under no illusion that she will ever be a full service technician.(I doubt she would be capable of diagnosing a sticking key, much less replace a broken middle C string), but she is a darn good tuner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forster vs August Forster
by eazydyonizy
Today at 03:43 AM
Grigory Sokolov releases album
by wimpiano
Today at 03:11 AM
Lindblad Steinway rebuilt pianos
by brahms
Today at 02:54 AM
Got the VPC1! Hooked up the Ivory! Played Brahms.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:13 AM
Pianos of Downton Abbey
by Almaviva
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Who's Online
66 registered (36251, angga888, Al LaPorte, AliAlkhiro, arX, 14 invisible), 1087 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76620 Members
42 Forums
158436 Topics
2326682 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission