2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi guys.

I just wanted to know which one will be better for a software piano using kontakt.

My current keyboard which is unweighted doesn't work very well. You have to turn down the dynamics for it to work .

I've read that the casio has a Tri sensor design and can handle high velocity input.

Does that make it better suited for software pianos?
Or this doesn't really matter.

Or is it just Technical specifications that don't really matter.

I don't mind the action on them both tbh.

Prefer the Casio but i'm worried that the heavier keys would cause fatigue due to a condition I have where my muscles tire prematurely.

I will make my decision after I contemplate the advantages and disadvantages.

PS: I already have an FC3 pedal with half pedaling so it would make sense to go with the Yamaha.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
No software pianos that I know of except for PianoTeq make use of high resolution MIDI, so at the moment that won't make a difference.

The triple sensor thing may make a difference depending on your level of skill and what type of music you play. Definitely a point on Casio's side. On the minus side, be aware that the Casio is capable of half-pedal but the pedal it comes with does not support it and a generic pedal will not work. You have to get the stand and SP33 pedal attachment if you want partial pedal, which I think you should.

However, the above is a small consideration when compared with the preferences your fingers have after playing both. Either piano would work well as a MIDI controller, but you want one that feels good/natural to you.

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I was thinking that although I prefer the casio because of its more solid feel. I should still get the yamaha because I have the fc3 pedal already, and the lighter keys would probably be better for my health.

And when the time comes for a real piano I would find one with a lightweight key action for the same reason

Thinking along the lines that The pianist tends to adjust to the instrument being played etc.

And in my case a lighter action would be appropriate due to my unique situation.

On the other hand the casio px130 wasn't that particularly heavy, it was comfortable but after some time may get tiring. However, the problem lies in the part for the stand and pedal .. Extra costs. Casio resale value in my country is next to nothing. Build quality may not be as high as yamaha..

I am concerned that the px150 action is even heavier than the px130
And I have no access to a px150 locally.

Furthurmore,
With the yamaha I can choose to sell after some years and upgrade to a roland perhaps, or not upgrade at all if I grow to like the ghs action.

Eitherway I'm upgrading from a unweighted keyboard with 32note polyphony. I doubt I would be unhappy with my decision.

Lots of factors to take into consideration and my head is spinning to make this decision.

frown

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks a lot for your help with previous posts btw. I posted my opinions on the Sony v6 for your benefit. It's an amazing headphones and I am still puzzled that i prefer it to headphones that cost five times as much(beats)

Don't get me wrong there isn't anything wrong with the beats.
Just too bass heavy for my tastes.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Just goes to show that you don't always have to spend big bucks to get something you truly will be happy with.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
A
A
That's because Beats headphones are absolutely terrible for the price.

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
True.

HD598 would be better i assume. Always wondered about bower and Wilkins if they were any good. . But I love my v6. Very impressed so far and I'm very picky.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I agree with MTA on the 130- it is a high quality action; but does have a tendency do get a little tiring but they had the best intentions when designing it.
If you are not using the internal sounds nor speakers you might prefer the px150's action.
I had the P95 for years and intend on using the px130 to control my soon to be PC Audio/recording setup.
My main piano right now is my SP280 and I find it less fatiguing than the pX130 and a little more pleasant than the p95

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
There is no difference in the weight of the action between a PX-130 and PX-150

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Would I be correct in assuming that the Yamaha GHS action would be the least tiring out of them all?

I played these pianos only for a short time so it's difficult to determine which one will cause my muscles to tire quicker.

The action on the GHS wasn't all that bad for me. I've played lighter actions on real pianos believe it or not.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I seriously doubt there are any korgs available locally.
The Action of the px130 and 150 are the same u say Mike Martin?
Well that's good news. I can go try out the px130 once more before I make a decision but i'm really leaning on the Yamaha because of it's lighter action.

It would make sense that a lighter action would be less fatiguing.

I've heard that roland actions are between the Yamaha GHS and casio actions in term of keyweight.. If I can get my hands on one I may upgrade from the Yamaha eventually to a roland.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i'm really leaning on the Yamaha because of it's lighter action.

Be careful. GHS is light until you get further into the keyboard where the facia starts . . .than it ain`t so light anymore! To be honest, I don`t think many others are so different.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I forgot to check to see if that was a problem with the casio as well.. I'm aware it gets very stiff as u furthur into the keybed.

Watched a comparison of the fp50 and fp80 from roland. This was a concern for the fp50. The guy doing the review said it was taken care of in the fp80 in addition to the better action.

Really sucks that you gotta buy a stand and pedal for the casio to get half pedaling.

Was contemplating the p35 which actually comes with an fc3 pedal.
But no USB connectivity so I'd have to get an adapter. Bleh.

Peterws are you looking for a new digital piano as well or were you quoting me?

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm aware ghs gets stiff furthur into the keybed*

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Should I consider the yamaha p35?

It is very tempting. Has ghs. Compatible with fc3 pedal so there is half pedaling.

I am on a budget and can get it for cheap.

32 note polyphony/awm samples won't matter if strictly using it as a software piano.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Software pianos has 256note polyphony. Samples are awesome. I basically just need the keybed and half pedal capability which the p35 has right?

This is going to be a home piano perminently hooked up to the computer in my room.

Only problem I see is the USB connectivity but it does have midi out. Would a sanoxy midi to USB interface work well ?

Are there any problems with the midi to USB conversion or it shouldn't pose any problems? If none I'm seriously considering the p35.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Originally Posted by Mta88

The Action of the px130 and 150 are the same u say Mike Martin?

No, I didn't say that. I said the weight of the action is the same.

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 06/17/13 07:15 AM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Hi MTA88,I've just chosen P105 because I don't like very much Casio Sound.
But it's only matter of taste smile

What kind of music do you like to play?

Last edited by foster12; 06/17/13 06:21 AM.

-------------------------------------------------
www.youtube.com/enricopunzo
-------------------------------------------------
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi foster12. I play a little bit of everything. But yiruma and ludovico einaudi being two favorites.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
My take is that if you like the GHS action over the Casio actions, especially if you have hand problems, and will use a software piano, then the P35 is just fine. The only niggle for me would be if I ever wanted to use just the inbuilt sounds and speakers.

Having said that, I do think the Casio actions are better in the sense of closer feel to an acoustic, if that is what you want, but they may also be harsher, as with just about all hammer type actions than GHS. On another thread someone described GHS as like playing through oil or treacle, and yes maybe, it is softer and that is why it's better for people with hand problems. Exceptions might be some of the Kawai's with the shallow feel to the key, my last experience with that is on a CA63.

Difficult to make a direct recommendation for you mta88 with 'muscle fatigue' problems. You need to play them for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission