Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
77 registered (Anita Potter, anamnesis, ando, Anne'sson, 26 invisible), 1305 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 161 of 250 < 1 2 ... 159 160 161 162 163 ... 249 250 >
Topic Options
#2103181 - 06/16/13 04:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Sam, that sounds like a wonderful moment - both for you and the lady who was listening to you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sand Tiger, sounds like you continue on your journey with consistency and achievements. I'm sure that you'll find a good title for your new piece - and as for the singing...well, one step at a time eh?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2103195 - 06/16/13 06:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
CarlosCC -Congratulations on you performance in the first round! It sounds like you really impressed them. Good luck in the final round!

Sam Rose - What a sweet experience! You must have really communicated with that lady with your playing!

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2103206 - 06/16/13 08:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Greetings PW friends. Hope the face is healing Earlofmar...not fun but glad you got the antibiotics. Casinitaly I'm so glad you reached that spiritual "high" of the free and relaxed moment in playing...it inspires for a long time. FarmGirl I'm so impressed that you find a piano to play when you're out of town (very cool) and that you're safely home. CarlosCC what an experience for THEM to hear you play and share your love of the piano.

I'm at the bottom of the mountain learning some new pieces. It's always a particular challenge to be moving on to new music. This morning though I think I'll just go play pieces I've played before...who knows there could be that relaxed moment.

Love to learn

#2103209 - 06/16/13 08:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Sam Rose - Wow, that's amazing. I've received some compliments, but never a hug!

Sand Tiger - Looking forward to hear your composition!

FarmGirl - Thank you, but, sincerely, I think it's a bit exaggerated to apply words like "star"...

earlofmar and SwissMS- Thanks. It was a good moment, yes.

WiseBuff - Hahaha, good point. I never thought about the experience that THEY had hearing me play. Thanks and enjoy your new piece.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2103217 - 06/16/13 08:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
CarlosCC - You have a great attitude to go along with talent and dedication. Whether you advance in the competition or not, you are already a winner in my mind. thumb

Farmgirl- Welcome back traveler. You are the poster-girl of piano dedication. McDowell's Wild Rose will be sight reading fodder for you. smile

Estonia L190 #7284

#2103224 - 06/16/13 09:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
... Casinitaly I'm so glad you reached that spiritual "high" of the free and relaxed moment in playing...it inspires for a long time. ... CarlosCC what an experience for THEM to hear you play and share your love of the piano.
... This morning though I think I'll just go play pieces I've played before...who knows there could be that relaxed moment.

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Sam Rose - What a sweet experience! You must have really communicated with that lady with your playing!

Music is all about expressing your heart. Hitting those keys in the right order doesn't create music. Hitting those keys with your heart in expression does create music. People hear that. They might not even realize it! Even the example of mine in my lesson last week. I don't have diddily of technical expertise. I ain't no great player. I just took one hand of only 6 bars that wasn't complicated. I played music. I applied what is implied and not written there. It comes from the heart.

All of these examples shows you people know what I'm talking about. You can obtain this mental state. It isn't about any kind of religious mysticism or anything like that. It's about doing away with the false things we use psychologically to make us feel good. Make us feel falsely adequate. Those psychological things also try to stop us in trying to make us depressed when we do away with them. Society is always trying to train us to keep this false state of mind. They are destroying. When, we need to live in our hearts to play really really well.

Good on everybody for experiences, accomplishments, that have shown this recently. Keep at it. It isn't a mistake. It isn't something to stumble upon.

#2103227 - 06/16/13 09:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: rnaple
Music is all about expressing your heart. Hitting those keys in the right order doesn't create music. Hitting those keys with your heart in expression does create music. People hear that.

Well... they can find it difficult to hear your feelings UNTIL you're hitting the vast majority of keys in the right order! An odd wrong one played with conviction doesn't hurt the audience nearly as much as it does you. But fluff too many, nice people will make encouraging noises but YOU know they're worthless. Sorry, but it's the truth.

#2103246 - 06/16/13 10:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
...Well... Sorry, but it's the truth.

Oh Wombat... More dog chasing his tail mentality? Why do you have to take a discussion that is taking something as a given already. A statement that is trying to build on higher learning. Pointing out the obvious. And bringing it down to where you try to appear as if you're informing me of something new? Ain't nothing new to that. You didn't say anything constructive there.
Yes, you might find it surprising how easy it is to hit all the right keys at the right time when you apply your heart.

To be constructive. I view written music much like the Japanese language versus the English language. In Japanese, you are expected to insert. Example: English....John went to the store. Japanese...John went store. A Japanese person would look at you humbly and say you're expected to insert the: "to the". I view the writing of music much the same way. There isn't enough room on the page to try to include everything. You must apply your heart to make it music.
I also view music versus english in that all the little details we include in the english language. We still fail to communicate comprehension too often. To try to write music like that might just be micro managing and confusing. When either you got the heart or you don't.
If anyone doubts me on the Japanese. You are invited to go to the DP forum and ask Kawai James. He is a translator. In fact. He could explain better than I can.

#2103259 - 06/16/13 10:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
Originally Posted By: rnaple
Music is all about expressing your heart. Hitting those keys in the right order doesn't create music. Hitting those keys with your heart in expression does create music. People hear that.

Well... they can find it difficult to hear your feelings UNTIL you're hitting the vast majority of keys in the right order! An odd wrong one played with conviction doesn't hurt the audience nearly as much as it does you. But fluff too many, nice people will make encouraging noises but YOU know they're worthless. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Well, the stories indicate that they must be getting it right, So all's well.

#2103315 - 06/16/13 12:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Ragdoll.....Hope your teacher choses something you want.

Oh me2, I guess I'll find out Tuesday. It's gloomy and raining here again BOOOOOO! frown Now I have to stay in all day and play piano `til I'm tired of it. wink

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2103324 - 06/16/13 12:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I survived my NY trip! Yay! I'm on my way back home. My piano, puppies and hubby are waiting for me:) I have a week until my next trip to UK. Ok now I have to turn it off. Flying soon.

Glad you're home safe FarmGirl. If your pups are anything like mine, I imagine they greeted you as if you were gone for 6 months heh heh. Hopefully hubby as well grin

#2103328 - 06/16/13 01:04 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll - glad your teacher is working with you now. There is so much material available, it is great she is opening up to new stuff!

Yes she gets aggravated at my stubbornness at times and I to hers but I'm glad we have come to a resolution as I value her as my teacher despite being ready to look for another a few months ago. She has few adult students and I've always been a tough horse to ride in all things I deem worthy of my effort. grin

#2103332 - 06/16/13 01:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
ATOW this week was just to get through it and still keep practicing piano. Week before last I bumped my head and didn't notice I had broken the skin (it was in my eyebrow) which became infected and started to worry me.

OUCH! get well soon. Do you look extremely debonair with just one eyebrow? (assuming they shaved it to clean/stitch you up) whome

#2103335 - 06/16/13 01:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Carlos, that so great for you, Best of luck in getting to the finals. wow

#2103818 - 06/17/13 12:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
totally not piano related. my achievement of the week or i should say...my lifetime....i'm pregnant with my first baby. i'm just so excited and couldn't be any happier. coincidentally, my piano teacher is also pregnant and is only a month ahead of me. i guess we will be on maternity leave from piano for about the same time.

#2103839 - 06/17/13 01:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ElleC]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Elle, that was most convenient! Are you sure there wasn`t an element of "unfamily planning" involved here?

My achievement of the week is . . . .managing to hack out Grieg 47-6 almost to speed. . . . one or two (slight understatement) notes were deliberately dropped to enable this . . .(Gallic Shrug) but Hey! It worked!

Edited by peterws (06/17/13 01:03 PM)

""

#2103856 - 06/17/13 01:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
ElleC -- well, congratulations! That is wonderfully exciting! I'm happy for you! When is the baby due?

Peter - I'm listening to a recording of your piece now "Leaping Dance" -- wow -- That's a dynamic piece (and I watched part of the video too - your hands really do have to leap about the keyboard, don't they!)
Good for you!

#2103919 - 06/17/13 03:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
ElleC - congratulations! That's better than almost anything in the world.

My AToW is definately finding a piano in Brighton UK. I received a really kind email from the hotel. I post a copy of the Email in my thread. I'm elated. Happy.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#2103927 - 06/17/13 04:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Boostybleep Offline

Loc: Mexico
Managed to play Mikrokosmos - Counterpoint and Imitation.

A small achievement but an achievement none the less. Took days to get it right.

#2103940 - 06/17/13 04:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
ElleC -- well, congratulations! That is wonderfully exciting! I'm happy for you! When is the baby due?

Thank you Peter, Casinitaly and Farmgirl! I'm this excited just finding out, can't imagine what kind of excitement i'd feel when he/she arrives =) speaking of arrival, if all goes well...i'm due on valentine's day next year.

#2103964 - 06/17/13 05:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ElleC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
my achievement of the week or i should say...my lifetime....i'm pregnant with my first baby.

ElleC how nice for you. You know you'll always have and audience now and the experts say it's good to expose the unborn to music. BIG Congradulations laugh

#2103967 - 06/17/13 05:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Congratulations ElleC!!!

#2103979 - 06/17/13 06:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Wooooohooooo, the AOTW thread is gonna have its first baby....

Well, I mean ElleC is.... congratulations!

Estonia L190 #7284

#2103983 - 06/17/13 06:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
ElleC Offline

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:
my achievement of the week or i should say...my lifetime....i'm pregnant with my first baby.

ElleC how nice for you. You know you'll always have and audience now and the experts say it's good to expose the unborn to music. BIG Congradulations laugh

Oh I plan to! And I already told my husband, our kid's gonna learn to play the piano as soon as possible!

#2104013 - 06/17/13 07:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
congratulations ElleC, what a big year this is for you

#2104018 - 06/17/13 07:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Congrats ElleC.

#2104151 - 06/18/13 12:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Congratulations ElleC! That is very special news!

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2104176 - 06/18/13 01:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Congrats ElleC!! But don't force your kid to learn piano, or he/she will hate it. You can lead a horse to water, but it's still a horse. (isn't that how the saying goes? wink )

I sometimes wish I had had lessons as a kid, but I know that if I had, I would have been forced to practice and I would have hated it, so I'm grateful that I started on my own. So yea, lessons are great, but don't apply too much pressure. And here we are discussing piano lessons for your unborn child. I think we may be jumping the gun somewhat laugh
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#2104189 - 06/18/13 02:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ElleC]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
ElleC that is such exciting news. Congratulations.

#2104212 - 06/18/13 04:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Great news ElleC! Congratulations!!!!!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

Page 161 of 250 < 1 2 ... 159 160 161 162 163 ... 249 250 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
12/20/14 08:55 PM
piano with willie
by TonyB
12/20/14 08:25 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160028 Topics
2350003 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission