Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2103449 - 06/16/13 05:47 PM Help needed: Accompanying old Broadway singers
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have a gig coming up, it's playing piano for a party of older Broadway singers that want to make requests and sing along while I accompany. They have their books and I have Hal Leonard's "Ultimate Broadway Fakebook" (Over 700 songs). In general they like old show tunes: Jerome Kern, Rodgers & Hart, Gershwin, Porter, Arlen, Kander & Ebb, Bock & Harnick, Bernstein & Sondheim. No Andrew Lloyd Weber or les Miz. Favorites are "Someone to Watch Over Me" and Sondheim's "Our Time". Anything from "Finian's Rainbow" and anything by Sondheim.

My question: I am used to playing in time with slight rubato. But when I listen to Broadway pianists and singers they seem to operate in a different world of timing with frequent extreme rubato, speed up, rubato, speed up, all very well coordinated. How do they manage that timing where every phrase is dramatically different? Is there some sort of routine more than just slow down at the end of every phrase and then pick it up again? I expect the answer will be "Listen to the singer..." But it seems that could be risky when you are sight reading a little lead sheet and not familiar with the songs.. Might there not be some method to it than more than "Just listen to the singer" ???

Here is an example from Finian's Rainbow titled "When I'm Not Near the Girl I Love":

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2103496 - 06/16/13 08:09 PM Re: Help needed: Accompanying old Broadway singers [Re: rintincop]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You always follow the singer's tempo and rubato. There is generally standard places where singers will add rubato, hang onto a note a bit longer, etc. Do lots of listening to professional recordings of the standards on youtube before hand to get an idea of what is traditionally done. This will also help you get accustomed to the style.

An accompanist should be able to listen while sight reading and follow the singer's lead. Also, there's usually not surprises with this stuff, so if you do enough of it, you can predict where these things will happen. It's a part of the process of learning to accompany, so really this is all the prep you can do. Then listen, listen, listen, while you are playing with them.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2103614 - 06/17/13 12:36 AM Re: Help needed: Accompanying old Broadway singers [Re: rintincop]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi rintintin,

The reason those singers and pianists can stay together is because they know that literature very well. A good deal of the tempo changes are for dramatic or staging reasons. The performers and the rehearsal pianists have all worked with a stage director, and then rehearsed the material to death. You should too.

The pianists who look like they're sight-reading know those musicals very well, and are aware of the performance practice and stage direction already. They already know what to expect.

The convention for the golden-age period is that orchestra and singer will be together the whole time. Since you're the accompanist, the ensemble is your responsibility including whatever rubato the singer does, letting them breath, etc., and especially if the song lends itself to that. For example, I can't imagine anybody singing "I could have danced all night" without making the ensemble pretty clean. Sorry!

If, however, the singers sing in a more "pop" or jazz style, then a perfect ensemble is not expected throughout. Generally, you keep time while the singer does whatever it is they do, and then you meet up at the downbeat, and end phrases together. Hopefully, they know where that is. Gershwin's "Summertime" is one thing that is often done like that and especially when it's sung by a jazz or pop singer, even though Gershwin said not to.

Another way to prepare for this is to make yourself sing the vocal line while playing the piano part. If you can make yourself do it with 90% accuracy and consistency, and sort of in tempo, you'll be freer to listen and know your part better when you actually get in front of the singer.

And morodienne is right. Listening to a lot of the classic recordings of these songs will help you learn some of the performance practice. Make detailed notes on your score while you listen, and then try to imitate what you've heard from your written notes as you practice.

P. S., Don't sight-read these songs. Several of them, especially a lot of the Sondheim arrangements, are particularly hard to play e.g. "another hundred people". If you've got a few days, start working on them.

I mean, you want to be asked back don't you?

Edited by laguna_greg (06/17/13 01:10 AM)
Edit Reason: thought more of something more!

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
Today at 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
Today at 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (Badinage, AliAlkhiro, andwi, AEMontoya, BB Player, AZNpiano, 14 invisible), 925 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission