2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello,

Here's a little background. I'm a Chinese speaker who's lived in the US for over 20 years but I've never been able to count fast in English. It's always felt easier and much more accurate to count in Chinese. I'm not sure why but I guess that's how my brain works.

I started learning the piano 2 years ago and counted the notes in Chinese. But when I got to 1/8 notes, my teacher told me that I need to count faster. I'm having some problems playing fast and I'd like to fix it as soon as I can.

So here's my question for those of you who speak Chinese: how do you count 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese?

Many thanks in advance!

If you don't think too good, don't think too much (Ted Williams)
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I couldn't help with Chinese but, in general, counting beyond an eighth note will never work - and at modest tempos not even 8th notes. I wouldn't bother trying!

What you need to get is the inner pulse, to feel the rhythm internally. Count the quarter notes if you need. Very occasionally, slowing things down I'll count less but hardly at all.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I couldn't help with Chinese but, in general, counting beyond an eighth note will never work - and at modest tempos not even 8th notes. I wouldn't bother trying!
I disagree. Usually beyond 16th notes it unnecessary. But at first to really learn the relationship between different rhythms it's best to count up to 16ths if that is the shortest note duration you have.

To the OP, I'm sorry, I do not speak Chinese and don't know if they have a special way to count. You can use Chinese words that have the right number of syllables and that would be good to say whenever you have those notes.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
You might try using syllables for counting like Morodiene suggested. See here for some suggestions: http://www.abrsm.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t52351.html

I'd also give this video a watch for more great advice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK8pzcjzUXE

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You probably could combine Chinese and English together. From Google Translate entering 1234 results in 一二三四. Now just use Chinese and English together.

In English, you would count "one and, two and, three and, four and", so in Chinese just count "一 and, 二 and, 三 and, 四 and", for 8th notes, and "一 ee and ah, 二 ee and ah, 三 ee and ah, 四 ee and ah", for 16th notes.

Nothing to it. In the Bay Area where I live and work, I hear lots of people mix their native language with English together all the time.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I disagree. Usually beyond 16th notes it unnecessary. But at first to really learn the relationship between different rhythms it's best to count up to 16ths if that is the shortest note duration you have.

To the OP, I'm sorry, I do not speak Chinese and don't know if they have a special way to count. You can use Chinese words that have the right number of syllables and that would be good to say whenever you have those notes.

Hmm, I think I was thinking more at tempo counting. If you are counting 16ths it's going to be pretty slow. Here's what I would count, which should work even if English is not great: ONE-two-three-four, TWO-two-three-four, THREE-two-three-four, FOUR-two-three-four.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Andy Platt, I have read your post,here:

Hmm, I think I was thinking more at tempo counting. If you are counting 16ths it's going to be pretty slow. Here's what I would count, which should work even if English is not great: ONE-two-three-four, TWO-two-three-four, THREE-two-three-four, FOUR-two-three-four.

Thanks for the memories - of playing in a band and finding out I had to count measures before I could play a note. Counting is critical for a beginner because you can get lost in the music if you can't count correctly and if you can't count the notes in the measure by their values, you don't know how the music is supposed to sound like. Good post.

Last edited by Michael_99; 06/17/13 02:56 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Don't know about Chinese, but I usually count 1/16th one-e-and-a,two-e-and-a....(long e, short a vowel sounds).

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I don't use Japanese to count. English is better because I can subdivide the notes using "and a" etc. as others pointed out. Besides you are in the States anyway. It will make it convenient to communicate with your teacher, friends and other instruments in an ensemble. I did not even know ABC system for the notes since we used fixed do system in Japan. I tried to stick to it at first but gave up. Too much hussle to translate.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I actually think you're both saying two completely different things. Andy, I instinctively thought you meant tempo-counting by your first response. But the responses to you were more concerned with the breakdown of those individual beats. So, in essence, everyone's right. You're right: you can't reasonably count between beats as the tempo increases. You have to internalize it. They're right: it's important for beginners to use whatever devices best work for them in order to learn those relationships so that they can internalize it. I think you were just one step ahead in the process. smile

To the OP:

People are saying it's easier in English because 1-ee-and-uh is all monosyllabic. I think you can do this just as easily in Chinese if you use letters/sounds that are only one syllable and can be said (or thought) quickly. You will want to avoid alliteration (letters/sounds that are similar) because that can lead to tongue-twisters. Think, "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers." Try it in counting: 1-pete-pipe-pick 2-pete-pipe-pick, and you'll see what I mean. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission