Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
138 registered (Anita Potter, accordeur, Almaviva, 39 invisible), 1662 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2103809 - 06/17/13 12:10 PM Sometimes, there are things more difficult than the piano...
TwoSnowflakes Online   blank
1000 Post Club Member

My regular ballet semester is over, and tying the Spring and Summer programs is a set of open classes that was billed as being appropriate for someone of my level as well as up to the professional. This only makes sense if there are people OF my level in the class, which was largely the case last week: there was an even split, more or less, between beginner/intermediate students and pre-pro and pro, so the pace was manageable.

Today? Yikes. All pre-pro and pro plus...me. Well, me and one other student from my class, who needed to leave early, mouthing apologies to me to beg my forgiveness for abandoning me as she ducked out. I gave her the most smouldering "you have betrayed me and I will never forgive you" look I could muster.

You know you are in SERIOUS trouble when the teacher demonstrates a combination and you have this fight or flight response that makes you seriously consider whether you should just sit down and play the Chopin Mazurka that was supposed to go with it rather than try the combination.

Frankly, I'm lucky I didn't take out two dancers when I lept to the right and the leap was supposed to go left. It's all fun and games until some professional loses an eye.
Tchaikovsky, Mars: Chante de l'alouette Op. 37a No. 3

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2103840 - 06/17/13 01:03 PM Re: Sometimes, there are things more difficult than the piano... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
TwoSnowflakes, I have read your post, here:

My regular ballet semester is over, and tying the Spring and Summer programs is a set of open classes that was billed as being appropriate for someone of my level as well as up to the professional. This only makes sense if there are people OF my level in the class, which was largely the case last week: there was an even split, more or less, between beginner/intermediate students and pre-pro and pro, so the pace was manageable.

Today? Yikes. All pre-pro and pro plus...me. Well, me and one other student from my class, who needed to leave early, mouthing apologies to me to beg my forgiveness for abandoning me as she ducked out. I gave her the most smouldering "you have betrayed me and I will never forgive you" look I could muster.

You know you are in SERIOUS trouble when the teacher demonstrates a combination and you have this fight or flight response that makes you seriously consider whether you should just sit down and play the Chopin Mazurka that was supposed to go with it rather than try the combination.

Frankly, I'm lucky I didn't take out two dancers when I lept to the right and the leap was supposed to go left. It's all fun and games until some professional loses an eye.

Chopin Nocturne C minor, No. 21 (Op. posthumous)
Mozart Sonata A minor, K310

I think the whole world would agree with you because if you walk too far, rake the leaves, pick up garbage, you could have a sore back or sore legs. The body is a depreciating asset.

But you could have the best and most expensive condo on the planet and if anyone can hear you play the piano, they will complain. With Ballet, you can do leaps and jumps and nobody but nobody could hear you even if the walls were paper thin!

Edited by Michael_99 (06/17/13 01:04 PM)

#2104014 - 06/17/13 07:18 PM Re: Sometimes, there are things more difficult than the piano... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Glad to hear someone is able to balance piano and another equally difficult activity. For a while there I thought is was impossible and was contemplating giving up working lol

#2104161 - 06/18/13 01:08 AM Re: Sometimes, there are things more difficult than the piano... [Re: TwoSnowflakes]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
This past semester of college, I took a class that involved not only learning to play and improvise in the jazz idiom (straight-ahead jazz), but in which I had to improvise in front of the class on a near-weekly basis when I not only only had roughly a year's experience on the piano, but also had little to no former experience with jazz and/or playing it. It was easily one of the most uncomfortable and intimidating experiences of my life being surrounded by players of over ten times my experience on various instruments, some of which sounding like professionals, but I can also say having stuck with it and struggled my way through the class made it possibly the most satisfying experience of my life. Being in an environment in which you're intimidated and feel like you don't belong because you're so severely outclassed is nothing short of frightening, but if you stick with it and give it your all, you'll always walk away happy and glad that you did it - it's the epitome of a satisfying experience. It may not seem fun at the time, but satisfying does and will always trump fun.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
56 minutes 35 seconds ago
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Today at 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
Today at 12:42 PM
Forum Stats
77387 Members
42 Forums
160042 Topics
2350214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission