Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2082491 - 05/14/13 02:40 PM Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once?
Daza Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Hey guys I am wondering if trying to learn too many songs at same time to distracting snd losing my concentration for getting one song completely nailed. I started off with NYSOM Billy Joel, as I got to a part I found real differcult thought I will come baqck to it when I have improved, and try other songs I really wanted to learn, so when I practice it's like I do about maybe 4 different songs and usually wait till I see an improvement before moving on to next. Is it I should pick songs that match my skill level? Any advice please. smile

Edited by Daza (05/14/13 02:42 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#2082582 - 05/14/13 05:47 PM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: Daza]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Try learning one song very well in all the keys.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#2082876 - 05/15/13 02:27 AM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: daviel]
Daza Offline

Is playing in different keys just a matter of playing in a different octave? Thanks for suggestion.

#2083116 - 05/15/13 01:57 PM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: Daza]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Go around the circle of 4ths - Learn the tune in Key of C > then in the key of F> then the key of Bb >then the key of Eb> and on circling back to the key of C. The next key is up a fourth interval from the key just used. No octaves in the mix. You study the song twelve times.

#2097843 - 06/07/13 12:37 PM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: Daza]
Michael Martinez Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Daza
Hey guys I am wondering if trying to learn too many songs at same time

There's no such thing. Seriously. The more tunes you know, the better. The more keys you can play a tune in, the better.

Edited by Michael Martinez (06/07/13 12:38 PM)

#2102471 - 06/14/13 12:37 PM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: Daza]
Quarkomatic Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
I think it depends on a few factors, like how much time you have for practice and how long your mental focus lasts. I make the most progress when I can play each piece I'm learning in all or most practice sessions and when I change activities frequently. For example, suppose I were learning 6 new pieces and had time to practice an hour a day for 6 days a week. If I practice one each day, I might feel like I'm making a lot of progress on each piece, but when I finally get back the first piece a week later, much of that progress will be lost. On the other hand, 10 minutes a day might not be quite enough time to really get into any piece. So 6 pieces is probably too many. Practicing half of them every second day for 20 minutes each might work, but in this example I'd prefer to work on 3 pieces and have a chance of practicing them every day. I'll learn them faster that way. Also, life gets in the way so I may not always get an hour to practice, and there may be other things I want to work on in the hour as well, like technique or just playing through pieces I've already learned. Having a lot of pieces in the pipeline can add stress to something that should be an enjoyable, relaxing activity.

#2102904 - 06/15/13 01:38 PM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: Daza]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

How much time I have is always a function of how important the activity is to me.

#2103822 - 06/17/13 12:37 PM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: daviel]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
What's the goal? Bringing these tunes to a jam? Studio work? Just fun in the basement?

Sometimes you don't know how tuff something is until to try it. So try it. Try twenty. You're not harming anybody (including yourself) by fooling around, if you know it's fooling around. I'll bet you already know how complete and polished a song/tune has to be to play it at a jam or gig. So ask yourself what do I want to do with this tune(s)?

#2104914 - 06/19/13 02:34 PM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: Farmerjones]
Daza Offline

Thanks for all the great feedback, I really need to knuckle down and practice my fav 3 tunes and then play each for at least 15 mins...so effectively 45 mins a day? how ever I used to just practice when learning differcult guitar pieces until I had seen an improvement after each time I sat down to play, I'd call it finishing on a high note. So I could walk away knowing that I was getting better. As for what i want to get out of it is, just pure fun/ just for myself, the piano moves me and I only play these tunes that speak to me. Thanks.

#2104915 - 06/19/13 02:37 PM Re: Am I Learning Too Many Songs At Once? [Re: Daza]
Daza Offline

To be honest I find the right hand reasonably easy to play simple melodies but my left hand is not so great, its alright wjhen playing octaves but not good at all when trying to play a chord which requires more than two fingers I need to do it one finger at a time...any tips on that one please?

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
4 minutes 38 seconds ago
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
89 registered (beet31425, AZ_Astro, anotherscott, BB Player, 20 invisible), 1093 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158499 Topics
2327672 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission