Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2103494 - 06/16/13 08:06 PM How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese?
mrcultureshock Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hello,

Here's a little background. I'm a Chinese speaker who's lived in the US for over 20 years but I've never been able to count fast in English. It's always felt easier and much more accurate to count in Chinese. I'm not sure why but I guess that's how my brain works.

I started learning the piano 2 years ago and counted the notes in Chinese. But when I got to 1/8 notes, my teacher told me that I need to count faster. I'm having some problems playing fast and I'd like to fix it as soon as I can.

So here's my question for those of you who speak Chinese: how do you count 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese?

Many thanks in advance!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2103500 - 06/16/13 08:14 PM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: mrcultureshock]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I couldn't help with Chinese but, in general, counting beyond an eighth note will never work - and at modest tempos not even 8th notes. I wouldn't bother trying!

What you need to get is the inner pulse, to feel the rhythm internally. Count the quarter notes if you need. Very occasionally, slowing things down I'll count less but hardly at all.

Kawai K3

#2103516 - 06/16/13 08:37 PM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: Andy Platt]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
I couldn't help with Chinese but, in general, counting beyond an eighth note will never work - and at modest tempos not even 8th notes. I wouldn't bother trying!
I disagree. Usually beyond 16th notes it unnecessary. But at first to really learn the relationship between different rhythms it's best to count up to 16ths if that is the shortest note duration you have.

To the OP, I'm sorry, I do not speak Chinese and don't know if they have a special way to count. You can use Chinese words that have the right number of syllables and that would be good to say whenever you have those notes.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2103634 - 06/17/13 01:39 AM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: mrcultureshock]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
You might try using syllables for counting like Morodiene suggested. See here for some suggestions: http://www.abrsm.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t52351.html

I'd also give this video a watch for more great advice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK8pzcjzUXE

#2103644 - 06/17/13 02:08 AM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: mrcultureshock]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
You probably could combine Chinese and English together. From Google Translate entering 1234 results in 一二三四. Now just use Chinese and English together.

In English, you would count "one and, two and, three and, four and", so in Chinese just count "一 and, 二 and, 三 and, 四 and", for 8th notes, and "一 ee and ah, 二 ee and ah, 三 ee and ah, 四 ee and ah", for 16th notes.

Nothing to it. In the Bay Area where I live and work, I hear lots of people mix their native language with English together all the time.

#2103709 - 06/17/13 07:18 AM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: Morodiene]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I disagree. Usually beyond 16th notes it unnecessary. But at first to really learn the relationship between different rhythms it's best to count up to 16ths if that is the shortest note duration you have.

To the OP, I'm sorry, I do not speak Chinese and don't know if they have a special way to count. You can use Chinese words that have the right number of syllables and that would be good to say whenever you have those notes.

Hmm, I think I was thinking more at tempo counting. If you are counting 16ths it's going to be pretty slow. Here's what I would count, which should work even if English is not great: ONE-two-three-four, TWO-two-three-four, THREE-two-three-four, FOUR-two-three-four.

Kawai K3

#2103884 - 06/17/13 02:54 PM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: Andy Platt]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Andy Platt, I have read your post,here:

Hmm, I think I was thinking more at tempo counting. If you are counting 16ths it's going to be pretty slow. Here's what I would count, which should work even if English is not great: ONE-two-three-four, TWO-two-three-four, THREE-two-three-four, FOUR-two-three-four.

Thanks for the memories - of playing in a band and finding out I had to count measures before I could play a note. Counting is critical for a beginner because you can get lost in the music if you can't count correctly and if you can't count the notes in the measure by their values, you don't know how the music is supposed to sound like. Good post.

Edited by Michael_99 (06/17/13 02:56 PM)

#2103900 - 06/17/13 03:25 PM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: mrcultureshock]
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Don't know about Chinese, but I usually count 1/16th one-e-and-a,two-e-and-a....(long e, short a vowel sounds).

#2103944 - 06/17/13 04:33 PM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: mrcultureshock]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I don't use Japanese to count. English is better because I can subdivide the notes using "and a" etc. as others pointed out. Besides you are in the States anyway. It will make it convenient to communicate with your teacher, friends and other instruments in an ensemble. I did not even know ABC system for the notes since we used fixed do system in Japan. I tried to stick to it at first but gave up. Too much hussle to translate.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2103950 - 06/17/13 04:52 PM Re: How do you 1/8 and 1/16 notes in Chinese? [Re: Andy Platt]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

I actually think you're both saying two completely different things. Andy, I instinctively thought you meant tempo-counting by your first response. But the responses to you were more concerned with the breakdown of those individual beats. So, in essence, everyone's right. You're right: you can't reasonably count between beats as the tempo increases. You have to internalize it. They're right: it's important for beginners to use whatever devices best work for them in order to learn those relationships so that they can internalize it. I think you were just one step ahead in the process. smile

To the OP:

People are saying it's easier in English because 1-ee-and-uh is all monosyllabic. I think you can do this just as easily in Chinese if you use letters/sounds that are only one syllable and can be said (or thought) quickly. You will want to avoid alliteration (letters/sounds that are similar) because that can lead to tongue-twisters. Think, "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers." Try it in counting: 1-pete-pipe-pick 2-pete-pipe-pick, and you'll see what I mean. wink

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (accordeur, Anticlock, Atrys, Art_Vandelay, 25 invisible), 1275 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156347 Topics
2296303 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
Today at 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 07:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission