Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2104198 - 06/18/13 03:21 AM Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise?
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
(Found this great live recording online.) I don't think there's anything on here that gives it away, but maybe I'm not seeing something there. (Hint: It's not the person whose name is in the web address!)

Chopin's Grande Polonaise (from Op. 22), with orchestra

It's great, even if the orchestra doesn't always quite keep up with the pianist. smile

(BTW, the Andante Spianato is online too, but the audio on that does give it away.)

You might be able to get it by googling, I'm not sure. But if you want to get the answer, I think you need to cheat somehow. grin
I don't think it's possible to get it except by looking it up or by just somehow knowing. But it's someone that I think most of you know of.

P.S. Jeffrey, if you're looking, you're disqualified from guessing. ha

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2104199 - 06/18/13 03:24 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Sounds like Mark C.

laugh

#2104201 - 06/18/13 03:27 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW
Sounds like Mark C.

laugh

You knew what you were doing by adding the laugh

If I posted my recording, it wouldn't sound too much like this.

#2104204 - 06/18/13 03:48 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Sounds like Mark C.

laugh

You knew what you were doing by adding the laugh

If I posted my recording, it wouldn't sound too much like this.

Who at PW is at this level of playing? I remember Trucrypt was a VERY good pianist. Are there others?

#2104205 - 06/18/13 03:51 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

(Not a PW member)

#2104208 - 06/18/13 04:01 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well that was his Youtube name. I forget his PW name.

#2104210 - 06/18/13 04:03 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Unfortunately, the fact that it links to Jeffrey's page makes guessing a bit too easy for some of us....but I'm keeping my mouth shut!

#2104322 - 06/18/13 11:30 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

Well that was his Youtube name. I forget his PW name.

No no -- I didn't mean 'he' isn't a PW member, I meant the pianist isn't. (BTW Trucrypt's PW name is Vica.)

Originally Posted By: fnork
Unfortunately, the fact that it links to Jeffrey's page makes guessing a bit too easy for some of us....but I'm keeping my mouth shut!

Good job! (Of both research and restraint.)

But of course we can tell 'eventually,' if nobody else does. (I imagine you can see why it would be almost impossible to just guess who it is.)

#2104328 - 06/18/13 11:35 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yep. After all, we're talking of someone who is more known for passing on knowledge to others than anything else smile

#2104337 - 06/18/13 11:43 AM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: fnork]
Mark_C Offline

Yep. After all, we're talking of someone who is more known for passing on knowledge to others than anything else smile

#2104353 - 06/18/13 12:04 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: fnork]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey

Yes it does! And so am I.

#2104362 - 06/18/13 12:24 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: DameMyra]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: DameMyra
Unfortunately, the fact that it links to Jeffrey's page....

Oh -- you mean you can delete the rest of the web address and get to his page? grin
(I hadn't seen that.)

Double good job by both of you. smile

BTW, the reason I posted it: I had no idea this person could play like that.

#2104367 - 06/18/13 12:31 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oh -- you mean you can delete the rest of the web address and get to his page? grin
(I hadn't seen that.)

That's one thing, but already being acquainted with the style of the website I was fairly aware of the amount of praise for you-know-who. Getting to the page confirmed the suspicions smile

#2104379 - 06/18/13 12:47 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: fnork]
Mark_C Offline

I got curious about why this person wasn't better known as a performer. I did a quick search through the NY Times site for reviews and other articles, and quickly found out some interesting stuff. There could be a good book in this, if someone felt like doing it (and it seems there are no biographies, at least nothing that turns up easily). Just a few factoids that showed up easily in the NY Times search:

-- Was extremely heralded as a young pianist -- boundless praise for technique, musicianship, tone, colors and subtlety, and originality

-- .....although, in NY debut, suddenly stopped playing after a few bars of the first encore and walked off the stage; as explained later, had been ill, "felt on the verge of collapse"

-- Continued great notices for a fair while

-- At age 39, recital cancellation due to injuries from fall at home

-- Whether related to that or not, thereafter the reviews were much less good, with criticism on some dimensions that had been so very highly praised before.

#2104383 - 06/18/13 12:49 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's fascinating, thanks for sharing! I assume you must have a subscription to the site to see those things? They appeared unavailable to me.

#2104384 - 06/18/13 12:51 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: fnork]
Mark_C Offline

That's fascinating, thanks for sharing! I assume you must have a subscription to the site to see those things? They appeared unavailable to me.

Yes -- I think you can still get it otherwise but maybe only by paying a ridiculous amount per article.

BTW, you'd think they could have taken some of that money and used it to send a reporter to the Cliburn Competition.... grin

#2104395 - 06/18/13 01:07 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(I hadn't seen that.)

Double good job by both of you. smile

BTW, the reason I posted it: I had no idea this person could play like that.

Actually I didn't do that at first, but I just did and confirmed my suspicion about who it was. I had just assumed who the pianist was based on the sound of the recording and what I know about Jeffrey. smile

#2104401 - 06/18/13 01:16 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There could be a good book in this, if someone felt like doing it (and it seems there are no biographies, at least nothing that turns up easily).

Of course, Jeffery would be perfect for the task. I wonder if he has the time between performing, recording, composing... smile

#2104406 - 06/18/13 01:23 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: DameMyra]
Mark_C Offline

There could be a good book in this, if someone felt like doing it (and it seems there are no biographies, at least nothing that turns up easily).

Of course, Jeffery would be perfect for the task. I wonder if he has the time between performing, recording, composing... smile

To Jeffrey, or whoever else eventually writes the bio (and I gotta believe eventually there will be one): Make sure to tell us about:

-- How she felt about performing (ooops, just gave away the gender) grin .....like, whether it was at all agonizing for her -- like, whether that thing at the NY debut may have been not just about physical illness

-- What really happened from that fall -- maybe it was nothing, or, was it a key thing that changed the direction of her career

-- Did she ever talk about what happened in that debut, or about the fall and what it did to her

-- How did she feel about making the shift (maybe having to make the shift) from a performing career

-- And, preferably, a words-to-the-wise chapter on how everybody should try real hard not to fall! Obviously nobody wants to fall (duh) but it sure seems like it might deserve more attention than a lot of people give it. Falls can change people's lives, suddenly and badly -- usually in older people, but sometimes it can be when you're 39.

#2104417 - 06/18/13 01:48 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

has anyone guessed who it is playing? I can say, I had no idea about the encore mishap, nor the fall. This is news to me--would love to know the sources and links to anything in print about these.

#2104418 - 06/18/13 01:48 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

And a chapter should be devoted to her (since you've already given it away)students,since it includes one of the most impressive rosters of pianists imaginable.

#2104425 - 06/18/13 01:58 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: JBiegel]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JBiegel
has anyone guessed who it is playing?

Not a guess and honestly I really didn't listen to the recording after a few seconds because of the irritating recording quality, but given the link, I found her in a few seconds anyway. So?

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2104432 - 06/18/13 02:28 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

I received this link on Fb from someone I do not know--but the recording was on the radio and reproduced. Naturally, the sound quality is not up to par, but the central c minor section has some beautiful phrasing, etc. The pianism is of a by-gone era.

#2104434 - 06/18/13 02:29 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: JBiegel]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: JBiegel
has anyone guessed who it is playing?

Yes, several! And they're keeping their mouths shut for now. smile

Quote:
....I had no idea about the encore mishap, nor the fall. This is news to me--would love to know the sources and links to anything in print about these.

In case it might be helpful, here are some of the NY Times articles that I saw. I'll give dates, together with links (although as noted, you might need to do some kind of subscription to pull up the articles):

NY Debut -- article on 2/26/1929

Great review of Town Hall recital -- 3/20/1937

Short article about canceled recital -- 10/13/1945

Review with some shortcomings noted -- 1/26/1949

Ditto, and a bit more so -- 2/19/1955

Originally Posted By: Hakki
....I really didn't listen to the recording after a few seconds because of the irritating recording quality....

I know that many people feel that way, but to me that's absolutely not an issue at all. If anything, it's a positive (really!), because:

-- I associate it with a time when the styles of playing were more what I love

-- I associate it with real representations of the playing, as opposed to edited recordings.

#2104440 - 06/18/13 02:43 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Mark, would it be a silly thing to ask for you to quote those articles mentioned here? It's easy to do copy/paste, if you're up for it - a few quotes at least could be interesting smile

#2104474 - 06/18/13 04:01 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
She must have been a considerable force in piano pedagogy, given the list of her students who went on to international careers as concert pianists.

Regards,

#2104527 - 06/18/13 05:13 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
JBiegel Offline
500 Post Club Member

She stopped formal performing and devoted her life to teaching. Byron Janis was her student, and then she started to crank out artists left and right. I believe John Browning and Van Cliburn went to her before big competitions, but it had to be hush hush!! She had a way of opening her students' ears and minds to how they produce sound based on the composers' indications. She hated poor rhythm, ugly sound, poor pedaling, and insensitivity to harmonic structure, or tempi too fast or too slow. She sang when she taught, almost 100% of the time. She showed her students how to get the sound they wanted, how close or far to be from the keys,curved or flat fingers, wrist flexibility, etc etc. I went to her when she was already 70, so she had less patience for anything less than the standards she had been accustomed to. Many could not withstand the tutelage, many could. I had my ups and downs tooBut I learned so much about sound and interpretation which stays with me as I make my own decisions now.

#2104622 - 06/18/13 08:11 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: JBiegel]
Mark_C Offline

Jeffrey: Great to have you on here. Your observations are very interesting and revealing, including because of how her teaching emphasized qualities that she herself had in abundance in her performing. I might add that if we want to engage in fantasy and amateur armchair psychoanalysis (and BTW IMO even a psychiatrist or psychologist is just an amateur when it comes to analyzing things from afar!), we could easily make up some things about how aspects of her approach toward students had effects from her possible disappointments and frustrations. Well, I guess I just did grin ....but it's nothing more than amateur stuff, really no better than your average high school or college student trying to analyze the characters in a novel.

Hey Mark, would it be a silly thing to ask for you to quote those articles mentioned here? It's easy to do copy/paste, if you're up for it - a few quotes at least could be interesting smile

I would have if I could have. The articles open in "Preview" for me. For reasons beyond my IT understanding, sometimes things that open for me in Preview are copy/pastable and sometimes they aren't; the Times articles aren't. Unless you or someone can tell me something to try other than the usual ways of copy/pasting....

#2105015 - 06/19/13 07:14 PM Re: Some fun, maybe :) WHO is this playing the Grande Polonaise? [Re: Mark_C]
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There's the possibility to do a screenshot I guess, but really, no need to bother going through that hassle of uploading jpg files here.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
10/24/14 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
10/24/14 09:54 PM
Who's Online
51 registered (CyberGene, Dave Weiser, AZNpiano, bjorn of brekkukot, Ben_NZ, daz100, 11 invisible), 979 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158486 Topics
2327441 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission