Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2104649 - 06/18/13 10:19 PM First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions
synthcomp Offline

Hi all - I've been a pianist for a long time but have been without an acoustic piano for way too long. I've never bought a used piano before. Have been doing a lot of reading and went to see a 1926 Baldwin 6'1" grand tonight being offered privately. Asking price is $1000 firm.

History - bought around 1980 from a piano shop that had refurbished it. I don't think rebuilt as strings don't appear to have been replaced.

Serial Number is 52062

Will be played 3x a week for pleasure only

Observations
1. Interior was repainted in the refurbishing - is this a red flag?
2. A small water mark that appears related to a beverage spill
3. Smells good
4. Hammers and strings are good.
5. Soundboard appears good
6. Exterior appears to have been painted black - not sure if it's the original color. I'd give it a B+ for condition. They maintain it with Tongue Oil.

Playing
1. Action is quick, not too noisy. Good feel and feedback.
2. Good voicing and dynamic range
3. Great extended midrange,very high end gets a little brittle. Low end is a little muddy probably from old strings!
4. Two notes (Ab2 and Bb2 had a bit of a plucky/thunky sound)
5. Eb2 sticks when soft pedal used
6. Soft pedal doesn't go back up (seems like an easy fix?)
7. Overall it was a joy to play and a great overall tone - not too mellow not harsh. Very musical.

Maintenance
Owners never open windows - constant climate control. No humidity control on piano.
Has been tuned regularly but NOT played regularly at all.

My plan
1. Post here for ideas/suggestions!
2. Contact their tuner/technician to find out future maintenance and longevity if it's played regularly, especially with some Rachmaninoff and Beethoven. :-)

So - thoughts? Suggestions? Is this a good value or something I should run away from? Like I said, I'm probably only playing 3x a week and largely for pleasure only.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!
Josh

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2104655 - 06/18/13 10:30 PM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
For that price, it doesn't matter what kind of work was done on it! It's being sold at a loss if they did put any money into it at all.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2104658 - 06/18/13 10:52 PM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: laguna_greg]
synthcomp Offline

Thanks so much for your response - so it's a good deal? I had no idea what to think although my gut feels 80% solid on it. My biggest concern is will it hold up to being played after 30 years of not really being played? Will I end up having to put a lot of money into it in a year or two?

THANKS!
Josh

#2104674 - 06/18/13 11:59 PM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
synthcomp Offline

Oh and any rough idea on value too?
Thanks!
Josh

#2104688 - 06/19/13 12:25 AM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I do not think Baldwin made a 6' 1" piano. So first of all, you should find out exactly what it is. The scale designation is usually cast in the plate in large type to the left of the bass strings.

You should get an independent technician to look at it and assess its condition, and get some idea of what sort of work it needs. You can rest assured that a piano this old will need a lot of work.

#2104738 - 06/19/13 04:33 AM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
BDB is spot-on, as usual.

Consider this an "as-is" piano. Ignore whatever work may (or may not) have been done 30+ years ago.

Have an independent technician examine it and tell you something about this particular piano. At the age it is it would be normal to need 30k+ worth of work to function like new.

Please keep us posted,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2104802 - 06/19/13 09:50 AM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: Rich Galassini]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I agree with Rich and BDB. And no, it is not a bargain... a rebuilder would pay maybe $500 for it.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2104806 - 06/19/13 09:59 AM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I agree with the others who have said that Baldwin did not produce a 6' 1" grand. The closest they came to that length was the Model C -- which later morphed into the Model L -- at 6' 3". Please be aware that many "rebuilders" and/or "refinishers" attempt to enhance the value of an otherwise "no-name" piano by putting the name of a much better known piano on the keycover.

This does not necessarily mean that the piano you are looking at is not a good piano; it may actually be a great piano. I am aware of a Steinway Model L grand that was labeled a Baldwin by a "rebuilder." One can only guess as to the motivation behind that less than brilliant deception.

The best advice? Have a qualified technician check it out.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2104832 - 06/19/13 11:08 AM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Mismeasurement is much more common than deception, when it comes to grand piano size.

#2104837 - 06/19/13 11:18 AM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: BDB]
synthcomp Offline

Thank you all - I'm sure it's a mismeasurement. After some careful thought and discussions such as this, I'm going to pass on it. I really don't feel it has been very much refurbished and the majority of the parts are original. If the action is already bad on 3 keys after not much playing in 30 years, then it's only going to get worse if I actually play it.

The old adage about being too good to be true is, in fact, true here as well. I'd rather save up for something that won't require quite as much work.

Thank you all for your feedback - truly helpful, and it's amazing to see the level of talent on this board.

Thanks,
Josh

#2104848 - 06/19/13 11:41 AM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
Well not just refinishers. I have folks from wealthy neighborhoods all the time wanting Steinway decals for their Kimball La Petite in time for the annual cocktail party.... sooooo Trees will be torn from the ground from the force of the gasp of paying 40 dollars for a decal too. Hahaha!
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2104856 - 06/19/13 12:01 PM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
SBP Offline

It could just be that they measured it wrong, or they just eyeballed it and said "That looks to be about 6'1", or the basic design of the Baldwin C/L may have changed just a tiny bit over the years like the Steinway A did. Even so, I don't think you're being scammed. Most piano companies in the '20s that made grand pianos were generally higher-end brands (most of the cheaper companies just made upright players).

In my neck of the woods, people would sell a '20s Baldwin for $3K and say it's a steal '0,o,o,

Originally Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue
Well not just refinishers. I have folks from wealthy neighborhoods all the time wanting Steinway decals for their Kimball La Petite in time for the annual cocktail party

Steinway and Schei├če?

Edited by SBP (06/19/13 12:02 PM)

#2104859 - 06/19/13 12:05 PM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: webcomposer@gmail.
... Exterior appears to have been painted black - not sure if it's the original color. I'd give it a B+ for condition. They maintain it with Tongue Oil...

Never, never use Tongue oil on a piano! Especially Cat Tongue oil, that stuff is really bad - the roughness of the applicator can wear down a finish quickly.

OK, removing tongue from cheek now.
Tung oil should never be used on on a piano. In fact, keep all oils (lemon oil, furniture oil etc)away from your piano's finish. Oils are sometimes used in finishing raw wood, but they are not intended for use on top of lacquer or other piano finishes. They do nothing but create a gummy coating which will attract dust and grime. They sometimes soften the original varnish on old pianos, which can cause a pretty big mess.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2104861 - 06/19/13 12:06 PM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: synthcomp]
SBP Offline

Don't use your Tongue period :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34

Edited by SBP (06/19/13 12:10 PM)

#2104942 - 06/19/13 04:04 PM Re: First time Buyer - 1926 Baldwin 6'1 Grand Suggestions [Re: SBP]
synthcomp Offline

Great info--turns out that just before I called to pass on it they reneged on their offer! They're keeping it! Crazy. Fine by me. Great experience for me learning to look at used pianos, but I'll stick with something newer/reconditioned!

Thanks,
josh

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
76 registered (bennevis, chopinoholic, AndrewJCW, barbaram, 15 invisible), 1267 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75843 Members
42 Forums
156798 Topics
2303916 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
Today at 01:33 AM
My Steinway M birth information.
by ciftwood
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Breathy tone
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
HELLO!!
by Synner
Yesterday at 07:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission