Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2058486 - 04/02/13 11:50 PM Steinway Stock ???
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
I am wondering if there are any of my PW colleagues that own S&S Stock in their portfolio? You may respond privately if you wish, Thanks!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2058493 - 04/03/13 12:35 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
It's a hard stock to analyze. I bought a hand full of shares. I think they've made some good changes in corporate structure lately, though that remains to be seen. So far, I've made a bit of paper money. Not enough to actually buy a Steinway, mind you. My equity share probably consists of a pile of spruce shavings on the shop floor.

I just wonder if Samick will take over.

#2058612 - 04/03/13 09:29 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I own a little. It keeps me on their notification list so I hear of significant events in their operation.

Plowboy...some think a Samick takeover may have already happened.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2058618 - 04/03/13 09:38 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I also own the LVB stock. I bought 200 shares just for fun, rather than any serious thought of investment for return. Other than the 'pride of ownership,' the corporate reports and mailings are very interesting.

It seems that Gary and I both like to mess around in a little pile of spruce shavings.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2058644 - 04/03/13 10:47 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: Steve Cohen]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
some think a Samick takeover may have already happened.

With the recent changes, they certainly have the biggest stake. And now they can buy more shares with approval of the board, of which they have the most votes.

So the question is will it be a good thing? Samick is a piano company, so that's good. Will a Samick made Boston be more affordable than a Kawai made Boston?

#2058655 - 04/03/13 11:06 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: Plowboy]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: Plowboy
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
some think a Samick takeover may have already happened.

With the recent changes, they certainly have the biggest stake. And now they can buy more shares with approval of the board, of which they have the most votes.

So the question is will it be a good thing? Samick is a piano company, so that's good. Will a Samick made Boston be more affordable than a Kawai made Boston?

Some of the great mysteries of our time... wink

There are other even greater mysteries, like why did Samick buy so much land in Gallatin, TN?

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2058663 - 04/03/13 11:22 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
I am considering buying some just for the fun of it, I have other stocks as well as mutual funds and would certainly not put all my eggs in one basket and I am not expecting to "make a killing". Like Steve, it would be interesting to get their reports. Also, whether we like it or not, they are a big player in the musical instrument business in the US and I have no problem supporting an American owned musical business. If you can't beat them, join them ??

#2058670 - 04/03/13 11:37 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Furtwangler Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Well,

You can get their reports online for free if you like. I do it all the time.

And I wouldn't exactly call them "American owned" any longer, would you?

#2058680 - 04/03/13 12:14 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
The Gallatin TN building is a logistical base for Samick. I find it extremely unlikely that Steinway would want to build a factory in TN due to the workmans comp expense.
They would instantly kiss 47% of their gross revenue goodbye by paying one of the highest comp rates in the US. There is also a 12K dollar surety bond per man to pay pre-hire as well. For this reason most TN plants and factories only use or hire temps, for which there is a 5k tax break.

So unless they plan on building a better robot to assemble and do the fine piano building work I really dont see them making a wise choice to build an actual plant in TN,.
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2058697 - 04/03/13 12:45 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
1000 Post Club Member

47% of their GROSS REVENUE???

Sorry - your statement is absurd. You might want to check your facts.

And New York's Workers' Comp rate is fully 40% higher than in TN

Facts are beautiful things:

Workers Comp rates by State

#2058738 - 04/03/13 01:47 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: Nash. Piano Rescue]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Nash. Piano Rescue
The Gallatin TN building is a logistical base for Samick. I find it extremely unlikely that Steinway would want to build a factory in TN due to the workmans comp expense.
They would instantly kiss 47% of their gross revenue goodbye by paying one of the highest comp rates in the US. There is also a 12K dollar surety bond per man to pay pre-hire as well. For this reason most TN plants and factories only use or hire temps, for which there is a 5k tax break.

So unless they plan on building a better robot to assemble and do the fine piano building work I really dont see them making a wise choice to build an actual plant in TN,.

This also seems unrealistic to me. Why would major car companies have plants here if it was so expensive to manufacture goods?

From the following article:
http://news.investors.com/030212-603104-tennessee-auto-industry-thrives-without-unions.aspx?p=full

Tennessee's law has held down labor costs. VW pays $27 an hour for new employees in wages and benefits, about half of the $52 an hour labor cost in Detroit.

I know this is just comparing to Detroit, but seems like it is not going to take 47% of their gross revenue.

Jonathan

#2058776 - 04/03/13 03:33 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: Jonathan Alford]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jonathan Alford
...VW pays $27 an hour for new employees in wages and benefits, about half of the $52 an hour labor cost in Detroit.

We are the Mexico of Europe.

#2059836 - 04/05/13 12:55 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]

Then with all your wisdom you can explain away this bill I have on my desk, actually stapled to the wall from last year when we wanted to put on two employees. Surety bond bill from the TN dept of revenue for the hires which totals 18,246.00 So that bill is a figment of my imagination all the way up until we hired temps and got an 8200.00 tax credit for doing so. TN ranks like 38th on a list for the highest business tax rates anywhere, which is why our shop is no longer in TN.

In-fact since that land aqquistion in Gallatin there is now a land aqquisition tax. Which is made worse really by the fact that they already have a building there. Another tax that doubled last year is the corporate tax rate which is why a lot of music studios have moved out of the area this year.

Factories that employ more than 200 people may get exemptions BUT You want to talk about Nissan in Smyrna TN ? almost the entire workforce is staffed by randstad temp agency. 4000 workers out of the supposed 4800 are temps. The leaf was supposed to bring in more jobs well where are they?.

I will however tell some of my business owner friends that pay upwards of 55% of their gross for workmans comp/PPA tax and surety bond tax that its just absurd because someone in California says so gimme a break, yawn !
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

#2059843 - 04/05/13 01:04 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
1000 Post Club Member

#2059847 - 04/05/13 01:12 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
LVB is more than Steinway the piano company. Keep that in mind when evaluating the Stock.

But, IMHO, their piano business is a rotten investment.

According to Steinway Dealers (like this one http://www.steinwaypianogallery.net/how-to-buy/piano-myths ) it takes 3,000 hours to make a Steinway. Since a Steinway dealer said this, it must be true.

Let's suppose Steinway pays its people $10/hour and it costs an additional $10 overhead per employee (cost of employer contribution for payroll tax, health insurance, heating building, etc). This, of course, is a rock-bottom estimate. It would mean that their NY staff couldn't afford to live in NY making $20,000/year.

Anyway, this means it would cost $60,000 in labor and overhead just to make one Steinway. We'll estimate $10,000 for raw materials, which would bring the manufacturing cost to $70,000.

A Steinway "B" retails for about $90K. This means that Steinway's profit on every "B" can only be about $10,000. The rest of the margin goes to the dealer. And they lose money on S, M, and Os. Because, after all, it takes "3000 hours to make a Steinway."

The dealers claim that all their workers go through a "rigorous apprentice journeyman system" so it's likely the wage cost is higher, which would bring their profit margins down even more.

I guess they must have huge profit margins on their stencil brands to make up for it.

Edited by Thrill Science (04/05/13 02:43 PM)

#2059861 - 04/05/13 01:54 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Hmm I'm sure I recognise the name Samick from the acoustic guitar world!

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2059878 - 04/05/13 02:48 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: Thrill Science]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Thrill Science
According to Steinway Dealers (like this one http://www.steinwaypianogallery.net/how-to-buy/piano-myths ) it takes 3,000 hours to make a Steinway. Since a Steinway dealer said this, it must be true.

Take off a zero and it will be much closer to reality.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2059918 - 04/05/13 04:10 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
2 X 12,000 = 18,246. The new math.

#2059929 - 04/05/13 04:29 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Plowboy Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Thrill Science, why do you hate America?

You should read their annual report, then you won't have to speculate about facts.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=76306&p=irol-sec

LVB is indeed more than the piano company. Not selling the band division was a very good decision. They could have saved a few million dollars by just asking me about that, though, rather than hiring "business consultants".

#2061294 - 04/08/13 02:03 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]

LOL My god this thread would be sheer perfection for No-Doz products. Gotta love it when people that do not live in a particular regional area suddenly become experts because they saw something like the Nissan job fair put on 2000 people on the news. Job fair = take a name and number after waiting in line for 3 hours. Top dollar out there is 8.25 and you are gone in 90-120 days WOW !. They had two of those job fairs in 3 months so the staff should reflect that? yes? NOT. VW and the other German plant in AL are temp run as well.

So couple very low hourly wages with the super high sales tax rates 9.25% in Nashville. 9.75 % in poorer counties and you have your formula as to why no one is buying anything or has the capacity to buy.

Now if you people think that under 9.00 is real money and is the way of the future then by all means lower your hourly rates and see how long you can live comfortably.

There is also strong resentment locally too so just because a new factory moves into the area with super low pay doesn't mean they will get quality workers
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

#2061370 - 04/08/13 04:51 PM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
This thread has drifted way beyond where it started and has dabbled into politics, economics, and strong egos/opinions.

If we can’t get it back on track there is no need for it to continue…

Rickster

#2061664 - 04/09/13 02:44 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
phacke Online   content

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
Here is my stab at it. Gross margins in the low to mid 30s are very nice. Moderate revenue and net income increase trend is OK. Price/earning ratio at 22 suggests that the market is already counting on some moderate growth, so the price now reflects about what it is worth. From the charts and a technical point of view, the price looks like it is heading to some resistance levels in the mid to mid to mid/high 20s, and the price is likely to hit some of these resistance levels again, so there is likely a little bit of gravy to be had there considering todays price at ~24. Breaking out above these resistance levels, beyond the high 20s, will require some upswing in the trend of the company's outlook or figures. Because the company is fairly priced now and based on what I know publicly around the company, I will not be making a purchase right now. I unfortunately don't have one of those crystal balls about the future.

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin

#2104676 - 06/19/13 12:05 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
phacke Online   content

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014

Loc: CO, USA
Well, Ludwig Van Beethoven (LVB) is at around a 5 year high closing at $29.3. The chart had looked to me (when I wrote the previous message in this thread) like it would run up and test some of the resistance levels. It however did so and went through them more quickly than I would have guessed and is now at around an important resistance level that is around 5 y old.

It will be interesting what it does from here--I have no idea at this time.

I don't own any LVB and am not planning on it at this time.

All the best -

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Sonata No. 1 in B minor (BWV 1014) duet with violin

#2104713 - 06/19/13 02:14 AM Re: Steinway Stock ??? [Re: RickG1]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
Plowboy...some think a Samick takeover may have already happened.

Not from what I heard recently.

Dr.Kim apparently showing signs of slowing down a bit...

Norbert

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, 55 invisible), 1781 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252760 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under 1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission