Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2104660 - 06/18/13 10:57 PM *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank
Dfrankjazz Online   content

Loc: NYC
Explore 3 of the hippest systems for developing your ears! This class focuses on developing the ability of the inner ear to hear multiple notes, intervals and tonal/chord colors. Any musician in any genre can benefit from the clear practices presented on this unique video. Dave opens the video, the 20th in his online series, with a new performance, "Peace in the Kingdom".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzegfvnMFHs

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2104673 - 06/18/13 11:44 PM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: Dfrankjazz]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Dave, isn't this spam? Shouldn't you be buying an ad or something?

While it's nice that you have a course you think is good for this subject, I'm not convinced you know anything useful about the subject, or can teach it well.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2104716 - 06/19/13 02:23 AM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: laguna_greg]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: laguna_greg

While it's nice that you have a course you think is good for this subject, I'm not convinced you know anything useful about the subject, or can teach it well.

I just listened to the clip. If you want spoon-feeding, then it's not the right thing. But as an overview of three ear training systems, I thought it was well organized and clearly presented - enough to give a starting point for an independent learner who may already have at least some background. What I liked especially was the way of meshing the three elements: ear, keys, theory - into one unit - and also that ear was active (voice) and not just passive.

I understand that this is for jazz, by-ear playing, improvisation. My background is mostly classical and written music though I'm not entirely dependent on scores. I'm interested in developing the other side, and saw some useful things in the presentation.

#2104723 - 06/19/13 02:47 AM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: laguna_greg]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Hi Dave, isn't this spam? Shouldn't you be buying an ad or something?

(1) I think if Dave were using this alone to sell a product one might call it spam. However, he isn't. Dave is sharing freely techniques and wisdom of his own and from other great musicians so that anyone with an internet connection can enrich their lives.

(2) I am, and yes he can.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2104724 - 06/19/13 02:56 AM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: Dfrankjazz]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
It is a weird subject to be honest (the spam issue).

It does appear that Dave is mostly taking part in these forums by posting his links to youtube lessons that he creates. HOWEVER there's almost nothing commercial in the back of this action, unless you take into account that someone may enjoy his lessons so much that he'd want to start learning with Dave. Otherwise nothing else.

So in this case I'd say that there's nothing wrong with that.

But I do have an issue with my own works and Editions Musica Ferrum.

As a lot here know I now own a music publishing house and recently I published a somewhat large number of piano works. With youtube videos and the such (the score shown, etc).

So here lies the problem: I think I'm an active member of this forum and I try to offer as much as possible (without this meaning that I expect something in return). Yet behind MY youtube videos there IS a product, so technically my postings about a new youtube video would be more spamy than what Dave is doing...

Yet, the problem grows even more complicated. Here in Pianoworld, we're very accustomed to discussing various editions (heck, there's at least 2 recent threads about Henle), composers who are still alive, or withing copyrights, etc.

I think that this line is delicate and quite thin. I try to keep commercial postings to a minimum (with the exception of 'piano stories' which is gathering some attention and I want to share it between friends) and I do hope that one thread pre a few months is not hurtful...

Comments please?

#2104733 - 06/19/13 03:55 AM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: Dfrankjazz]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I always like hearing about your exploits too Nikolas! Although it is in a way commercial, I also think within the context (like that you do contribute to the forum), it should be OK.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2104955 - 06/19/13 05:00 PM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: Dfrankjazz]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I've only gone as far as the Lennie method, then tried it and it works! I had never realized this before. You focus on a note, but without singing it, and you hear it clearer.

Dave, I had gone through reams of those chord exercises in JOI and I don't think I ever got the point. Maybe you have to start with two notes before a chord will make sense like that? Anyway, thanks for posting.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2104984 - 06/19/13 06:02 PM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: Dfrankjazz]

there are degrees of hearing. The ear training exercises open your ears to a different level for sure)

DF

#2105349 - 06/20/13 12:55 PM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: Dfrankjazz]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I don't know what the forum rule is. But as a user, I'm happy to hear about paid stuff from anyone who is a genuine contributor. It's just the people who pop on with little else to offer other than marketing that are annoying. I enjoy the posts by Dave Frank and Nikolas and am happy to see what their commercial product is, as well, because they are both genuine contributors around here.

#2105362 - 06/20/13 01:33 PM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: Nikolas]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
There is a distinction between the people who use this platform solely for promotion purpose, commercial or not, and who genuinely participate and happen to have something relevant to share, commercial or not.

Nikolas, even though there were some commercial components in some of your posts, your contribution to the forum has paid the due and then some. So far not a single post from you disturbed me.

I am also fine with Dave's post as it is relevant, but hope this is the beginning of his participation, instead of just a part of cross posting to a dozen different forums only to attract people away for the forums.

Sorry Dave, I shouldn't discuss you in the third person form, welcome to the forum (if you are still here).

#2105372 - 06/20/13 02:07 PM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: laguna_greg]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine

Greg, what is your basis for saying this?

Dave, I am trying out the Lennie method -- thank you for the video. So far I have found out that I can't distinguish well enough to sing the two notes on a minor second and a major second, but after some practice I think I can hear them for minor third and above. (For the seconds I'm working around it by playing one note first and then the other note while continuing to hold the first note, and then periodically testing my ability to hear each note when they're played simultaneously instead.) Playing with this has given me some ideas for how to practice some other things I'd like to be able to do with ear training, intervals, and singing.

I'd like to try the other methods too at some point but I decided to just focus on one thing to start with.

#2105827 - 06/21/13 03:27 PM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: The Monkeys]

thanks for your interest, I contribute often to the non-classical forum FYI..

DF

Edited by Dfrank (06/21/13 03:27 PM)

#2105828 - 06/21/13 03:29 PM Re: *NEW* - Ear Training - Theory and Practice w/Dave Frank [Re: PianoStudent88]

sounds good (pun intended)

DF

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (Abby Pianoman, *windowlicker*, AaronM, 36251, ABC Vermonter, 48 invisible), 1349 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75971 Members
42 Forums
157110 Topics
2307384 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can someone list the rules of accidentals?
by xorbe
3 minutes 4 seconds ago
Kawai ES-7?
by shndany
Today at 10:12 AM
Kawai MP7 - hidden gem
by Kevin Keys
Today at 09:21 AM
Paying to be a vendor
by Bob
Today at 08:39 AM
Does it get easier?
by Pover
Today at 07:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission