Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2103671 - 06/17/13 04:09 AM the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red
chen Offline

Loc: yichang city china mainland
recently ,we have received several feedback from KAWAI upright piano's costumer.they had bought K 5 and K6 K8 several months ,now they found their piano's key surface 's color turn to red ,a lot of red finger print on key surface.

we found this phenomenon before ,but not so fast ,this time ,just half year turn to red.

K5 K6 K7 K8's keysurface use the NEOTEX tech, NEOTEX will have chemical reaction with sweat.but just a few people's sweat will react with it,may be 1/10000.

now ,KAWAI company still now find the reason and no way to solve this problem.

some engineer here can to analyze it ,and give the answer to solve the problem.

thanks!!!

Edited by chen (06/17/13 04:10 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2103723 - 06/17/13 08:05 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: chen
recently ,we have received several feedback from KAWAI upright piano's costumer.they had bought K 5 and K6 K8 several months ,now they found their piano's key surface 's color turn to red ,a lot of red finger print on key surface.

we found this phenomenon before ,but not so fast ,this time ,just half year turn to red.

K5 K6 K7 K8's keysurface use the NEOTEX tech, NEOTEX will have chemical reaction with sweat.but just a few people's sweat will react with it,may be 1/10000.

thanks!!!

Hi Chen,

I was just wondering, it seems to me that Neotex key tops have been around a fairly long time (haven’t they?)… I wonder why this issue has not come up before?

Is this considered a defect in materials (for some piano owners with certain DNA)? Are the key-tops in question being replaced under warranty?

I wonder what Kawai Don would have to say about this…

Rick

#2103726 - 06/17/13 08:12 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA

thanks!!!

If you are looking for engineers here on PW, there may or may not be engineers who can solve this problem for you. I wondered if you tried contacting the Kawai company with this issue. I also wondered if Kawai company has engineers on their staff who can better assist you.

If you have already tried Kawai company engineers and they were unable to assist you, I wondered if you can actually find the answers you are looking for here on PW

#2103746 - 06/17/13 09:32 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I would tell anyone who's keytops turn red to stop practicing until their fingertips bleed. wink

Edited by Steve Chandler (06/17/13 09:34 AM)

#2103757 - 06/17/13 10:03 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
pianocritic Offline

Loc: Midwest
Kawai should correct the problem. If not, poor customer service on their part.

#2103783 - 06/17/13 11:03 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: pianocritic]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: pianocritic
Kawai should correct the problem.

Specifics of this issue aside, perhaps you should change your screen name to "kawaicritic" based on your posts here...
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2103792 - 06/17/13 11:19 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
chen, look to see what these customers have in common besides the keytops, like using hand lotion before playing. I haven't seen this in red, but I have seen this in other shades where the customer would wash their hands and then apply lotion immediately before playing.

This is more likely than red fingerprints being a sweat reaction to an inert material.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2103837 - 06/17/13 12:58 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL

thanks!!!

When I was a Kawai dealer, we had an older RX-A (Fully hand-crafted RX, basically a smaller version of an EX)with the same problem that you are explaining. At that time I personally asked one of Kawai's Master Piano Artisan (Otake-San) about how one can remove this reddish hue displaying on the keytops of where one touches the keys. He told me that it would be very difficult to fully remove. The only way is to replace the keytops.

Jeff
Grand Piano Haus

Edited by Grand Piano Haus (06/17/13 06:26 PM)
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

#2103949 - 06/17/13 04:45 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: Grand Piano Haus]
AndyJ Offline

Loc: Near Dayton, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Grand Piano Haus
...one of Kawai's Master Piano Artesian

Hi Jeff,

In the interest of our Chinese friend's comprehension, you might want to correct that word to "artisan". Unless Otake-San is in fact a spring that shoots a stream of water into the air, of course!

Andy

#2103992 - 06/17/13 06:28 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: AndyJ]
Grand Piano Haus Offline

Loc: Skokie, IL
Originally Posted By: AndyJ
Originally Posted By: Grand Piano Haus
...one of Kawai's Master Piano Artesian

Hi Jeff,

In the interest of our Chinese friend's comprehension, you might want to correct that word to "artisan". Unless Otake-San is in fact a spring that shoots a stream of water into the air, of course!

Andy

Yes, we do not want that to happen.

Thanks for letting me know..

Edited by Grand Piano Haus (06/17/13 06:31 PM)
Yamaha, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber & Söhne, Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Cable-Nelson, CEUS, Live-Performance model-LX, Disklavier-PRO, Q.R.S. & PianoDisc, AvantGrand, Clavinova, Arius http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com.

#2104003 - 06/17/13 06:53 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I would replace the key tops.

#2104060 - 06/17/13 09:18 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: terminaldegree]
pianocritic Offline

Loc: Midwest
A manufacture worth their salt would want to fix the problem whether it be Kawai, Yamaha, Young Chang or any other manufacture. Having owned several retail stores in varies commodities I guarantee any manufacture would not want that type of advertisement on a major forum.

#2104088 - 06/17/13 10:23 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: Rickster]
chen Offline

we found this problem long ago.but rarely,and happened after several years by used .so we are not make much account of it.

recently,we found several events in half year. and customers think of it a quality problem.

#2104089 - 06/17/13 10:26 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: pianocritic]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
My question would also be why has nothing been heard of this problem until now? Kawai has been using Neotex key covers for many years.
I would like to hear more factual information about it. I think that it is unfair, even scurrilous to make these allegations unless there is clear evidence of a problem.

Robert.

Edited by Robert 45 (06/17/13 10:27 PM)

#2104093 - 06/17/13 10:33 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: Robert 45]
chen Offline

in china we found this problem several years ago. i don't know what about it in USA .

maybe this issue about the number of sale.
in china we can sell K series 4000

#2104112 - 06/17/13 11:04 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
Chen, any photos to share of this phenomenon? Could it be dye leaching from the 'red' dust key cover in extreme heat conditions or exposed to sunlight?

The NEOTEX keys on my K8 turned smurf blue. And this was directly related to repeat applications of the Cory product 'Keybrite'. The NEOTEX key was absorbing the product!

I posted/photos in the tech forums here for help on this. At first Kawai instructed me to use a magic eraser to clean the keys? I sampled on one key even though I knew magic erasers was an abrasive product (Kawai recommended after all) and while the blue color was removed, the key lost its shine/top coat. I raised the issue with Kawai again and a tech actually removed all the keys from the K8 for professional repair (Kawai fixed free of charge).

I don't use any other products to clean the keys on my K8 except warm water and a white cloth. NO ISSUES. I have noticed some blotching on the keys however since repair, and this no doubt is related to the chemical reaction/acidity level in my body (everyone's different) to key reaction.

If you have some photos please post, otherwise it's going to be difficult to troubleshoot/find support. Also mention what/if any products, cloths were used to clean the keys and frequency. Remember even a red cloth, even colored/decorative napkins have dyes that can leach dye if used to clean a NEOTEX key.

monads

#2104126 - 06/17/13 11:30 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: monads]
chen Offline

KAWAI company give the answer is that One;NEOTEX key top can absorb sweat,also can absorb the water from air,some people's sweat special,can react with some material in NEOTEX,so turn to red; Two: use the red keyboard cover,the cover dye the key top red .

and KAWAI company still work on research it ,now they are not find the basic reason still

#2104271 - 06/18/13 09:17 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: Robert 45]
Schubertslieder Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert 45
My question would also be why has nothing been heard of this problem until now? Kawai has been using Neotex key covers for many years.
I would like to hear more factual information about it. I think that it is unfair, even scurrilous to make these allegations unless there is clear evidence of a problem.

Robert.

I agree regarding the unfairness.

We are getting one side of the story by someone living in China.

We are not being told anything about the conditions these pianos are subjected to. We also do not have information about the pianists who play these instruments and what they are doing daily to cause this.

Living in USA, I personally have never heard of this. Also, just as some other posters stated, this is the first time I heard about it.

#2104310 - 06/18/13 11:02 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
This is quite scary! I would never want that "red" on my piano!!

@Monads, thanks for sharing your experience. I need to watch out when i clean my piano too. do you use anything to clean the cabinet? the dealer i bought my piano from recommended and gave me a "trick" http://www.amazon.com/Trick-Piano-Polish...er+trick+polish

Do you think this is okay or you have other suggestion? Thanks!

#2104398 - 06/18/13 01:13 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
monads Offline

@RileyBunny,

I use the Cory Piano Polish (Super High Gloss) for the cabinet smile It works excellent. Originally, I purchased their Ultimate Care Kit, which includes: Key-Brite, High Gloss Piano Polish & 2 fiber cloths specifically for each product (not to be mix-matched). It also appears from visiting their website the 2 fiber cloths have changed or updated since my kit included dark green & blue colored cloths whereas now they are light grey & blue. I contacted both Cory and Kawai regarding my keys. Cory was helpful, but didn't confirm testing on the NEOTEX Key surface. Thankfully Kawai resolved in the end.

#2104410 - 06/18/13 01:31 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: monads]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
monads,

You got me really scared now! I have the corey keybright and polish kit with the green and blue micro towels. I've only used the keybright twice since the piano is new. I'm very worried about the use of corey keybright now. I researched and thought this to be the best for keeping the keys free of oil if used once a month as a regular routine.

so to be clear, you're saying the blue tint is due to the blue towel leaching into the keys over time? How often did you apply the keybright product? I just bought this "kit" about a month or two ago. I want to contact them but would like to know exactly when they went to the different towels. I would think they would exchange them for me given I have neotex keys. However, I want to provide facts before talking with them. Thanks in advance for your response......blob.

#2104436 - 06/18/13 02:36 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: Schubertslieder]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: Schubertslieder

Robert.

I agree regarding the unfairness.

We are getting one side of the story by someone living in China.

We are not being told anything about the conditions these pianos are subjected to. We also do not have information about the pianists who play these instruments and what they are doing daily to cause this.

Living in USA, I personally have never heard of this. Also, just as some other posters stated, this is the first time I heard about it.
The "someone living in China" is the Kawai distributor, not exactly an outsider trying to scare anybody. Another former dealer confirmed seeing it. It looks like my first guess was off base, but clearly the rarity of the problem should keep people from being scared.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2104445 - 06/18/13 03:02 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: PianoWorksATL]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Another question is why has this problem arisen in the "K" series uprights when there other Kawai pianos, including the RX grand piano models which also have neotex keytops and are not mentioned? Is this happening only in China? The argument that some people who play these pianos have a different chemistry in their perspiration which can actually change the key colour on a piano seems both absurd and medically unfounded.

Although Parsons is a Kawai agency and reporting these allegations, it does not rule out that some competitor is scaremongering. It is a hugely competitive market place in China and in the wake of other commercial product scandals such as the baby milk powder adulteration, I remain sceptical.

On the basis of the sketchy allegations we have heard so far, I am still unconvinced.

Robert.

#2104484 - 06/18/13 04:19 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: Robert 45]
Schubertslieder Offline

Another question is why has this problem arisen in the "K" series uprights when there other Kawai pianos, including the RX grand piano models which also have neotex keytops and are not mentioned? Is this happening only in China? The argument that some people who play these pianos have a different chemistry in their perspiration which can actually change the key colour on a piano seems both absurd and medically unfounded.

Although Parsons is a Kawai agency and reporting these allegations, it does not rule out that some competitor is scaremongering. It is a hugely competitive market place in China and in the wake of other commercial product scandals such as the baby milk powder adulteration, I remain sceptical.

On the basis of the sketchy allegations we have heard so far, I am still unconvinced.

Robert.

I agree. thumb

#2104502 - 06/18/13 04:42 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
monads Offline

@Carbonblob

When I researched for cleaning the piano/keys, one of the best products that turned up was Cory. So I purchased the kit. I used the blue 'polisher' fiber cloth on the cabinet only, and the green 'cleaner' fiber cloth on the keys only, as instructed. I never mixed cloths. I probably used Key-Brite to excess looking back. Since I practice everyday, I used Key-Brite after every session! It took about 3.5 months for the keys to turn blue. Had I not applied excessively, it still would've occured over time (yrs vs. months).

My tech believed it to be related to the color of the Key-Brite solution. It's not 'clear'. And I don't know if the solution color has changed or been modified since I reported last year. A quick check would be to open your bottle and see. In general, no colored solution/cloth should be used to clean the keys. I'd feel safer using a white fiber cloth on the keys.

You're keys are probably ok though smile Doesn't sound like you've had enough time for repeat applications. But I wouldn't recommend continuous use to find out. It won't happen over night.

As to why this issue isn't more common knowledge....I don't know since my incident was directly related to a specific brand of product and repeat or excess applications. I don't know what others use to clean their NEOTEX keys, or if they've been using Key-Brite on NEOTEX for years without problems? And if so could it be related to a bad batch/mix of Key-Brite? Regardless, if the issue was more documented, I would've never used. Who wants smurf keys on a brand new piano 4mos old? Not me.

#2104640 - 06/18/13 09:45 PM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: Robert 45]
chen Offline

yes.now this issue had a heavy influence on market and our sales.and some competitor use this issue attack us .

#2104692 - 06/19/13 12:40 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: chen]
monads Offline

And below is a photo of what happened. Again it didn't happen overnight, it became worse over time with every application. The B key next to middle C is white because it's where I used the magic eraser! I was not about to do this to all the keys.

In Chen's case I'm still not 100% sure without more information. Ever since I got my keys back from repair and stopped using the Cory product I haven't had ANY color changes.

#2104786 - 06/19/13 08:42 AM Re: the issue of KAWAI K series key surface turn to red [Re: monads]
Carbonblob Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
thank you monads,

I probably over reacted but that did get my attention, especially since the only fix appears to be a keytop replacement. I'll check later to see the color of the solution AND I'll lose the green towel from here on out. The good news is this incident appears to be rare at best. Thanks for the head's up and good luck with the key repairs. I hope we get to the bottom of this but from your testing, it does seem to point to the corey product application.

I'm in agreement with Rickster's post, plus you would think there's a Kawai tech bulletin to dealers floating around somewhere.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (bennevis, Atrys, Akshay, 19 invisible), 1072 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission