Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2103850 - 06/17/13 01:28 PM Humor and piano lessons
music32 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Berkeley, California

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7

NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and upright
Haddorff console
MTAC Alameda

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2104344 - 06/18/13 11:53 AM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: music32]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I'm not certain how humorous this is, actually. I've run into every type listed and I suspect more. Once I had a parent who thought I overcharged for lessons. She didn't mind her $95,000 annual salary, benefits included, for teaching students 26 - 28 hours a week, but $27.50 per student for teaching 36 students (roughly the same number of teaching hours) was really excessive.

#2104435 - 06/18/13 02:33 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
I'm not certain how humorous this is, actually. I've run into every type listed and I suspect more. Once I had a parent who thought I overcharged for lessons. She didn't mind her $95,000 annual salary, benefits included, for teaching students 26 - 28 hours a week, but $27.50 per student for teaching 36 students (roughly the same number of teaching hours) was really excessive.

John, there's the value that parents think they're getting from teachers and music. Having a higher income doesn't mean they want to pay for something that isn't worth it. Really, it's a business and psychology issue.

For example, most people can afford designer jeans, but that doesn't mean they want to pay for designer jeans.

I would only pay for certain types of designer jeans, but there are people who would only wear designer jeans. I look at the fit, style, cut, and colour to decide if I want to pay for it. It's a matter of value.

As teachers, we have to convey this value; my clients are happy to pay me, even when I ask for a raise. They want to keep my service because they know that I'm worth it.

You can probably think of someone you're happy to pay because of the value they provide for you. Like, your piano tuner? Cleaner? Phone service?

The key is to convey this value. Lots of people struggle with this, so you're not alone.

#2104438 - 06/18/13 02:41 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: music32]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I don't find them that funny, tbh. However, among the "recommended action" there is something that I would like to see there. Namely that before lessons ever start, the teacher sits down with the parent to explain what the roles are, how the parent can help, and invite a time for questions and clarification. Is that part there? How will a parent know what his or her role is, what to expect of lessons or of their child, unless they are told? If it's not there, this might prevent some of the aggravation. smile

#2104483 - 06/18/13 04:16 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: keystring]
The Monkeys Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC
Originally Posted By: keystring
.... before lessons ever start, the teacher sits down with the parent to explain what the roles are, how the parent can help....

Other than the most elementary level, I don't think the teachers would expect the parents to help, even in the unlikely case a parents is technically able to. Ensure there is sufficient practice time is probably all (not saying it is easy).

Creating a positive atmospheric and encourage kids to learn, of course helps, but it is an art and science of it's own, only loosely related to the piano teaching, or the teaching profession as a whole. That art and science is called parenting, which a teacher may or may not know.

#2104500 - 06/18/13 04:37 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: music32]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I don't find any of these humorous in the least.

#2104506 - 06/18/13 04:48 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: The Monkeys]

Originally Posted By: The Monkeys
Originally Posted By: keystring
.... before lessons ever start, the teacher sits down with the parent to explain what the roles are, how the parent can help....

Other than the most elementary level, I don't think the teachers would expect the parents to help, even in the unlikely case a parents is technically able to. Ensure there is sufficient practice time is probably all (not saying it is easy).

I wrote more than you quoted, and I'm not sure that you understood what I was trying to say. The entire article lists things that parents do which hamper the teacher's work. A parent must know what his or her role is. NOT doing anything is also helping the teacher's work, if that is what the teacher wants. Showing interest in order to motivate the child can be a way of helping. If a parent does not know what to do, and what not to do, then there is a strong chance that one of the listed problems will surface.

Of course there will be parents who ignore that advice, but to some degree it should be preventive - i.e. if it has never been given.

It is not an hypothesis of mine that maybe teachers might be concerned about parental roles. It has been discussed many times.

#2104567 - 06/18/13 06:30 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: Bluoh]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Bluoh

John, there's the value that parents think they're getting from teachers and music. Having a higher income doesn't mean they want to pay for something that isn't worth it. Really, it's a business and psychology issue.

For example, most people can afford designer jeans, but that doesn't mean they want to pay for designer jeans.

I would only pay for certain types of designer jeans, but there are people who would only wear designer jeans. I look at the fit, style, cut, and colour to decide if I want to pay for it. It's a matter of value.

As teachers, we have to convey this value; my clients are happy to pay me, even when I ask for a raise. They want to keep my service because they know that I'm worth it.

You can probably think of someone you're happy to pay because of the value they provide for you. Like, your piano tuner? Cleaner? Phone service?

The key is to convey this value. Lots of people struggle with this, so you're not alone.

Nah, I found out from her colleagues that she was just plain chincy all around. Most of my parents are the pleasant, we like you and your teaching and value it highly type parents. Thankfully!

#2104582 - 06/18/13 06:57 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Bluoh Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Nah, I found out from her colleagues that she was just plain chincy all around. Most of my parents are the pleasant, we like you and your teaching and value it highly type parents. Thankfully!

That's good! I did a survey with indie music teachers recently and almost all of them said that policy was the most important thing to establish in a studio.

#2104588 - 06/18/13 07:07 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: music32]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I don't find these thing funny, but I do see a lot of truth in them. I see more irony here...

#2104830 - 06/19/13 11:06 AM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: Gary D.]
music32 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Berkeley, California
perhaps "irony" is well put. Many piano teachers are glad to know we share a common culture. At least that's the gist of the responses I've been getting.

You Tube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/arioso7

NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
NYU, M.A., Steinway M grand and upright
Haddorff console
MTAC Alameda

#2104840 - 06/19/13 11:25 AM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: music32]

Music32, I'd like to know what you think of my idea of guiding parents before lessons begin? If they don't know what their role is, they can adopt anything in the vacuum. While people are stubborn and do their own thing regardless, I'm thinking that this might prevent at least some of it. You can't change what you don't know.

#2104863 - 06/19/13 12:08 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: music32]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Quote:
IV. The Never on Time Parent

Lessons are always delayed by at least 10 to 20 minutes due to 1) a last minute stop at the gas pump, 2) a major traffic jam, or 4) a misunderstanding about which parent was supposed to pick up the child from school.

I am sure that The Never on Time Parent will forget that they need to get to #3 before #4......is that right?

Hahaha....very funny and humor....
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2104870 - 06/19/13 12:43 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: music32]
BrainCramp Offline

Loc: USA
I thought they were amusing.

I'm not a piano teacher, but I read the piano teachers' forum regularly. Teachers post their frustrations with these types of parents again and again. It almost makes you wonder if parents everywhere are in on a conspiracy to drive piano teachers nuts.

#2105141 - 06/19/13 11:25 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: BrainCramp]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: BrainCramp
It almost makes you wonder if parents everywhere are in on a conspiracy to drive piano teachers nuts.
You may be on to something smirk
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2105904 - 06/21/13 06:15 PM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: Morodiene]
Bluoh Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
It almost makes you wonder if parents everywhere are in on a conspiracy to drive piano teachers nuts.
You may be on to something smirk

Maybe there's a 'parent mode' that people have. I know piano teachers who are parents themselves and have been known to drive people nuts (which the parent-piano-teachers have admitted themselves).

#2110935 - 07/01/13 01:00 AM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: music32]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I recognise a few of these smile

#2110953 - 07/01/13 02:11 AM Re: Humor and piano lessons [Re: BrainCramp]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

DRIVE piano teachers nuts? I always thought that was a job qualification for you guys. wink

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
112 registered (Atrys, AndrewAJC, 36251, AmateurBob, 33 invisible), 1488 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75385 Members
42 Forums
155837 Topics
2288342 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How far to go?
by ChopinFan66
07/13/14 05:00 PM
"Canned" Accompanyments like Music Minus One?
by Kojak
07/13/14 04:16 PM
grand care
by johnfin
07/13/14 03:18 PM
Yamaha U5 or Charles Walter 1520 console
by Kai C
07/13/14 02:55 PM
Weinbach 170 or 192, anybody got any advice?
by Sam4
07/13/14 02:49 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission