2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Most like it. It`s a tremendous facility. But lately, stuff`s been springing up on the screen about usernames (link to Googlemail I think) and searches don`t seem as effective as they used to be.

From our point of view, a demo of an old digital might be no longer as available as it once was . . . . .I`ve found this to be the case.

Any decent alternatives?

Last edited by peterws; 06/19/13 05:47 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
The 'Would you like to merge usernames' pop-up are a bit of a pain in the arse, but they can be closed with a couple of clicks.

I'm not sure about the search functionality changing - I'm always able to find what I'm looking for, provided I enter specific search terms.

There are some alternative to YouTube, however - in terms of content - the original is almost certainly the best.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
C
Well, I have made use of name-nick merging as I don't really mind posting under my real name on YT.

Also, there are some fairly decent alternatives out there (vimeo comes to mind) but many seem like they are local to the country they are located in and as KJ said, none of them beats YT content-wise.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
I use Vimeo, as I have deleted my Google accounts last year. I used YouTube when we could still have a separate account, but when they forced merging with Google account, I gave up.

I like Vimeo for posting videos, but I admit that browsing is easiest on YouTube. There is native support for Vimeo uploading in Apple's iMovie, and native OS-wide support will be in iOS 7 soon.

Playing: Yamaha GC2
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried uploading to Vimeo, but was told to come back later . . . !

"[Linked Image]"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
I tried uploading to Vimeo, but was told to come back later . . . !

Your reputation precedes you. laugh

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh sugar . . . .thought as much . . . eek

"[Linked Image]"
Hmmm... on the topic of the original thread, I received this copyright notice earlier:

[Linked Image]

So does this mean bands are no longer able to post videos of their performances if they include a handful of covers?

Cheers,
James
x

C
C
Seems like the copyright owner has filed a complaint or something. Maybe you could put a note that the video contains a cover of someone else's song and see if that helps.

In any case, it's bordering on crazy.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hmmm... on the topic of the original thread, I received this copyright notice earlier:

[Linked Image]

So does this mean bands are no longer able to post videos of their performances if they include a handful of covers?

Cheers,
James
x

I think your video is fine... YT says it's still playable. They are probably just going to send some adshare money to the publisher listed in the notice.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Cheers,
James
x

This happens a lot and is frequently discussed over on the ABF. If you search on YT and dispute or copyright you will find some useful and not so useful threads. This one is quite useful.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
peterws, I have read the post, here:

Most like it. It`s a tremendous facility. But lately, stuff`s been springing up on the screen about usernames (link to Googlemail I think) and searches don`t seem as effective as they used to be.

From our point of view, a demo of an old digital might be no longer as available as it once was . . . . .I`ve found this to be the case.

Any decent alternatives?

Edited by peterws (06/19/13 05:47 AM)

When I first got the internet at 50, I figured I would be connected for a few years and it would die a slow death.

When television changed and they had laugh tracks, and commercials, that killed it for me and I never had television since I left home, so since 1969.

I don't have television, of course, so when I discovered you tube about 5 years ago, it was awesome. Just loved it. Then the google people said they were going to change it and add ads, etc. Well, immediately I couldn't find anything because they messed with the search option, so I realized there would be an end. My computer recently crashed so I am using a Linux machine and I can't hear anything in linux and I can't see anything in linux like you tube. But it is okay because I can play the piano. But I figure that it is going to be like TV - commercials and you pay by the minute.

When I go for a walk after dinner, I can see and hear the whole world is watching television - and I don't understand why.

The internet is awesome. I have an expression: If you care, I care; if you don't care, I still care.

So when the world cares about you tube, you tube, will change over night, but as long as billions - trillions of people love what they see, and love what they have to do, to see it. Nothing will change - for the better.

Last edited by Michael_99; 06/20/13 04:03 AM.
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
This happens a lot and is frequently discussed over on the ABF. If you search on YT and dispute or copyright you will find some useful and not so useful threads. This one is quite useful.

Thanks for the link. Okay, I think I'll just ignore it for the time being - they haven't send an email or any direct message.

Cheers,
James
x

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
James,

That thread covers some things but doesn't get to the root. There are 2 things going on...the desire to give ad revenue instead of blocking content AND an obstreperous rights grab for all music, even false claims to works in the public domain.

When you make a video of a cover song, there are 2 types of licenses. The first is a mechanical license and fairly easy to obtain. For video, you need a syncronization license, which is more difficult.

If you play something that is clearly public domain, like anything published before 1923, often a company will claim your video in an attempt to make revenue. We make a lot of piano demos with excerpts of classical pieces and then have to dispute silly claims. They are eventually released...some quickly, some slowly.

We had a unique situation where we made a video of an artist performing his original work at our store, and the publisher made a claim on the video. I think that has been in dispute for like 8 months, but there are no ads showing on it.

Clearly, all of the claims are automated, looking to err on the side selling ads to benefit the publishers. So you can continue to make your videos, covers and tributes - just expect someone else to run ads over the top of your videos.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
I see. Thank you for the additional information Sam.

Cheers,
James
x

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
1. The big boys run the world and litigate each other to death.
2. When all you have is a hammer... etc. so they litigate the little guy to death.
3. Due to 1 copyright law makes no sense which leads to "abuse" and 2.
4. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
5. YouTube is owned by Google which seems to be getting eviler by the day due to 4.
6. 1+2+3+4+5 = the current hotbed of crazy that YouTube has turned into.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I dunno I find lots of trolls on youtube the bigger problem.

People who claim to be incredible pianists who simply trash others on youtube even though the playing is exceptional. VKgoeswild has an enormous number of these trolls who self proclaim they are incredible players but strangely have no videos of their own to show off their own alledged madzskillz

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission