Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2105358 - 06/20/13 01:30 PM a Finale split measure question
Michael Sayers Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms lšn, Sverige
Hello Everyone,

After much time it has been impossible to resolve a split measure issue (image below). In measure 45, beats three, four and five have as many notes and rests on the middle staves as with beat two.

To merely enter the notes seems to need a preliminary split into four sections (beats one and two in the first one, beats three, four and five in each of the others) - but after the first split the rests for beats three through five "disappear" and further splitting becomes impossible.

Solutions involving a measure in 2/4 (but somehow marked 5/4) and then a 1/4 measure for each of the remaining beats while hiding barlines, et c., don't work because of the whole notes in the top and bottom staves. I am just trying to get the notes and horizontal splits in with this measure as the first step and assume that later as normal one can tie the whole notes in the top and bottom staff to the quarter notes in the same two staves, add markings about playing notes or groups of notes an octave higher or lower (8-----), et c.

Anyone here familiar with a procedure to make this work or should I just let it go and forget about entering this composition into Finale?

This one measure before the coda seems to be the sticking point for entering the composition - I would hate to give up just on account of one measure.

Thanks in advance for any tips to solve this!

M.

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2105404 - 06/20/13 03:40 PM Re: a Finale split measure question [Re: Michael Sayers]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Michael,

Check your email! wink

#2105565 - 06/21/13 03:59 AM Re: a Finale split measure question [Re: Michael Sayers]
500 Post Club Member

Hi Nikolas,

Thanks and check your email!

M.

#2105636 - 06/21/13 09:05 AM Re: a Finale split measure question [Re: Michael Sayers]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
I'm curious what the solution is so why keep it private?

#2105638 - 06/21/13 09:07 AM Re: a Finale split measure question [Re: Michael Sayers]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
lol...

It's not kept private or anything. It's no secret.

But I'm away to Baku (Azerbaijan), and without my computer, so posting, etc, is rather difficult right now. Since he emailed me, I replied to his email... that's all.

What I told him basically is to separate this 5/4 bar to 3 bars of 2/4, 1/4 and 2/4 and put them in different systems. Hide the time signatures and show a different one, etc...

But I also questioned the sanity of using 128ths in any work... brrr...

#2105807 - 06/21/13 02:50 PM Re: a Finale split measure question [Re: Nikolas]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Nikolas

What I told him basically is to separate this 5/4 bar to 3 bars of 2/4, 1/4 and 2/4 and put them in different systems. Hide the time signatures and show a different one, etc...

But I also questioned the sanity of using 128ths in any work... brrr...

Ah, I see. I did doubt whether the chord would continue to be heard with all the fast octaves happening, almost certainly not. That being the case there's no need to show them as a sustained sound. I suppose you could use a sostenuto pedal to accomplish exactly that and have all the fast notes get damped and then your original chord would magically appear from the wash of sound. Interesting concept, but not one that needs to be accomplished in 1 bar.

#2106222 - 06/22/13 01:24 PM Re: a Finale split measure question [Re: Steve Chandler]
500 Post Club Member

Nikolas' solution has worked perfectly.

The tempo is only quarter note = 46.5 so I think the 128ths are okay, especially in the context where the piece rapidly builds to a peak. I'm not sure what per cent of pianists can actually manage it but being a show piece it is okay if not everyone can pull it off fully in all aspects (128ths + superfortissimo hammering of each and every one of those alternating octaves!).

The Finale score is being fine tuned but here is the (uncorrected) handwritten copy:

http://michaelsayers.com/compositionpdfs/0024_FANTASY_MARCH.pdf

(high res so it will need to be downloaded)

What worries me more about the composition is the title as there seems to be melodic connection to the music of Schubert, almost as though it is a Fantasy March on Schubert's X (X=the Schubert composition name). I don't recognize the exact Schubert composition or composition(s) involved and therefore can not refer to this in the title.

It would be concerning if it were to be thought that I would borrow music without giving acknowledgment.

p.s. - For Steve, I think you should write a virtuoso composition that explores the concept you mention!

M.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, AmateurBob, Alex1, 88 Fingers Jeff, 44 invisible), 1824 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75506 Members
42 Forums
156138 Topics
2292843 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about finger reach!
by Plopsy
7 minutes 7 seconds ago
OK so a 700 pound grand piano walks into my house and...
by BrianDX
24 minutes 9 seconds ago
Digital Piano Sufficient for a Newbie?
by DancerJ
43 minutes 37 seconds ago
E.Tubin - "Ballade on a theme of Mart Saar"
by Svenno
52 minutes 16 seconds ago
What key signature are you?
by Saranoya
53 minutes 5 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission