Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2105371 - 06/20/13 02:07 PM Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs
ec Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
This is day one of the preliminary round: Live stream of Boston Amateur Piano Competition from Longy School of Music(you will have to endure the occasional commercial...) I'm excited because two members of our amateur group (the Long Beach Piano Meetup Group), Gorden Cheng and Yvonne Tsai, are competing - way to go, guys!

Chopin - Nocturne, Op.62, No. 2
Mazurka, Op. 41, No. 1 (C# minor)
Etude, Op. 25, No. 9
Polonaise, Op. 40, No. 2, C minor

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2105432 - 06/20/13 04:56 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Thank you for the link, but there doesn't seem to be any information whatsoever about the competition. When does the live feed start/end? Who's performing? Am I missing something?

#2105438 - 06/20/13 05:10 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: DameMyra]
ec Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
My apologies - (I'm posting while manning my post at my workplace (bet no one else ever does that...) . Here's the Competition Home Page Boston Competition link with links on the RH side to "Competitors" (bios and repertoire for each round) and "Prelim Round Schedule".

(edit to correct typo)

Edited by ec (06/20/13 05:10 PM)

Chopin - Nocturne, Op.62, No. 2
Mazurka, Op. 41, No. 1 (C# minor)
Etude, Op. 25, No. 9
Polonaise, Op. 40, No. 2, C minor

#2105473 - 06/20/13 07:38 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Cinnamonbear Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Thank you for the link, ec! I noticed several Pianist Corner contributors in the schedule, and was sorry to have missed some performances. My hope, of course, is to catch them in the semi-finals! grin

#2105517 - 06/20/13 11:13 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Other Piano World members:

Judy Darst (musica71)
Tim Adrianson
Jeremy Stone (good friend and professional colleague in NY)

(Sorry to anyone I might be leaving out! Please let us know!)

And LisztAddict is here to watch.
(As am I.) smile

Jeremy has been in the Cliburn youtube contest but this is his 'debut' in the competitions. He played today, and I was thrilled to see him do splendidly. thumb

#2105547 - 06/21/13 02:14 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Was looking for both LisztAddict and Mark C to be participating.

What happened to you guys?

#2105596 - 06/21/13 07:31 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: Mark_C]
Jeremy Stone Offline

Thanks, Mark, for your generous comment (above) as well as all of your support and good advice! smile --Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Stone (06/21/13 07:34 AM)

#2105803 - 06/21/13 02:35 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bravo to Penny! I really enjoyed her Beethoven.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2105806 - 06/21/13 02:46 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Tsai will probably advance too.

#2105816 - 06/21/13 03:06 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bravo ! Mueller is in too.

#2105991 - 06/21/13 10:03 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Semifinalists

Zagrosek
Serio
Wang
Adrianson
Kokkinos
Stone
Liao
Maurice
Glynn
Ross
Penny
Barlow
Lai
Rezende
Dicasoli
Feng
Congratulations to all!
I'm surprised Gorden isn't on the list.

#2106015 - 06/21/13 11:58 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: jazzyprof]
Mark_C Online   content

I'm surprised too, as were many others.

Congratulations to Jeremy Stone! I was quite sure he'd advance, even in such a difficult field, and he did -- and it's an especially great achievement, considering that it was his first shot at these competitions. In the next round he plays Rhapsody in Blue, which I've heard him play and which I know is a great piece for him. Keep an eye on Jeremy -- we could very well be seeing him in the finals. I feel very happy for him and for other friends who are advancing, but I feel bad for those who aren't. I would note that there were other surprises besides what Jazzy said, including at least two other past 1st prize winners who didn't advance. These competitions are tough -- and, need we say, it's subjective.

#2106034 - 06/22/13 01:01 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
lesecret Offline

Surprise, surprise. I didn't think it'd be that subjective. I heard Slavin over the webcast and thought he'd just sail through. Admittedly I missed Gorden but I've heard him many times in the past. It's going to be interesting.

#2106085 - 06/22/13 05:48 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Skimming through the bios of the semifinalists, I too agree that this is a tough competition.

I am surprised that Gorden did not advance. But, I wonder, whether it could have been different if he had chosen a different piece(s) for his first round.

Anyway, most of the semifinalists seem to be highly qualified for an amateur competition and in that regard the list is not so surprising. When I see even past prize winners not advancing, I once more realize that it is not easy to compete in these amateur competitions at all.

They better find another name instead of "amateur" for these competitions, because it has been causing a lot of conflict recently.

#2106130 - 06/22/13 09:46 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: Hakki]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Hakki

They better find another name instead of "amateur" for these competitions, because it has been causing a lot of conflict recently.

The real amateur pianists participating in these competitions are the minority. Most people are either ex-prodigy, piano degree people, or even ex-professionals. It will be very hard for real amateur pianists to get into semifinal. Generally, if we look at the pieces, we can tell their piano background. It is less likely for real amateurs to play Chopin Ballade well, only few real amateurs can do this, such as LisztAddict. However, some attempted with disappointing results.

#2106138 - 06/22/13 10:10 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: RonaldSteinway]
lesecret Offline

You made the point well - I don't know what you mean by "real amateur" but to me any of the three groups of people you mentioned can be real amateur as well. Notice WIPAC does not use the word amateur in its name but most others do. The use of the word does have negative associations and its not in the favor of the organizing bodies.

Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
Originally Posted By: Hakki

The real amateur pianists participating in these competitions are the minority. Most people are either ex-prodigy, piano degree people, or even ex-professionals. It will be very hard for real amateur pianists to get into semifinal. Generally, if we look at the pieces, we can tell their piano background. It is less likely for real amateurs to play Chopin Ballade well, only few real amateurs can do this, such as LisztAddict. However, some attempted but with disappointing results.

#2106159 - 06/22/13 11:20 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: lesecret]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My definition of "Real Amateur" = people who were not ex-prodigy, never pursued piano degree, never been a professional, never been in real professional competition. Basically, people who just took lesson once a week when they were young, and quit for many years, and come back to practice piano. We can see from the pieces that they use in amateur competitions. Typically real amateurs, they do not even have enough repertoire to play for a 55 min amateur competition. For example they use one sonata and break into two stages.

Yet, adults who can play, say, Mephisto Waltz well cannot be a real amateur. They must have fallen into one of the categories above.
As I said in my earlier post, there are real amateurs who attempted to play big pieces but did not play well. These are real amateurs who are too ambitious and do not know their ability. But again, it is OK. It is just for fun.

#2106163 - 06/22/13 11:30 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: RonaldSteinway]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: RonaldSteinway
My definition of "Real Amateur" = people who were not ex-prodigy, never pursued piano degree, never been a professional, never been in real professional competition. Basically, people who just took lesson once a week when they were young, and quit for many years, and come back to practice piano.
I agree with your definition except for the part about quitting piano which I don't see as at all relevant. Also, the "ex prodigy" is somewhat vague and one might leave that out also.

Unfortunately, for reasons discussed at length on previous threads its unlikely that amateur competitions will disallow these groups of people. A name other than amateur would be appropriate for most of these competitions in their present form because to my mind, and I think to the mind of most people, many of the participants are not what are usually thought of as amateurs. Something the equivalent of "not presently professional" would at least be more honest.

Edited by pianoloverus (06/22/13 11:31 AM)

#2106168 - 06/22/13 11:57 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: pianoloverus]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Something the equivalent of "not presently professional" would at least be more honest.

I agree 100%.....

It is a dilemma, if they do not allow a "Not presently professional" people, the competitions will be boring.

#2106187 - 06/22/13 12:41 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: lilylady]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: lilylady
Was looking for both LisztAddict and Mark C to be participating.

What happened to you guys?

Life. grin

(Thanks for asking.) smile

For me, other life things have taken over for a while. I gather that for LA it's been partly the same plus maybe just wanting to take a break.

Some stuff about one of the other semi-finalists -- Thomas Maurice, who's a long-time friend from these events. I hadn't heard him in some years, mostly because he's been battling a very difficult back problem that made him have to withdraw from a couple of events that he was supposed to be in. If you've been following the streaming, he's the very tall guy who's using a cane to help him get around. I'm finding it enormously interesting to see how he has changed as a musician. He had been basically what I'd call a storming virtuoso. Now, he still has the technique, but he's more of an artist, much more reflective and with much more depth. He won 1st prize in the Colorado competition when I got 2nd, after having been considering dropping out of the amateur competition scene because of some issues at the previous event. I was one of the people who had urged him to stay in -- maybe I was the main one (we had a series of e-mails back and forth) -- and some people joked that if I had kept my mouth shut I would have won 1st prize. Besides that even 2nd prize was overachieving......I might well have gotten nothing, because I wouldn't have played as well. My acquaintance with him was inspiring and educational (BTW this kind of thing is part of why I'd hate to see the amateur competitions be more restrictive on what "amateur" means, but I won't wade into that debate yet again), but even more so, I didn't know a lot of people at that event, and if he hadn't been there, I wouldn't have had as much camaraderie, I wouldn't have been in as good a frame of mind, and I doubt I would have played as well. That was his first win, he had at least one more after that, and now he's back, better than ever. I look for him to make the finals and to have a real shot to win.

#2106527 - 06/23/13 01:34 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Mark_C Online   content

Congrats to TIM ADRIANSON for making the finals! -- very well deserved. Jeremy Stone played very well too, but....there were just more good performances than there are places in the finals. I thought 9 out of the 16 semi-finalists were solidly in the running for the 6 spots in the finals and I felt that the selections would depend not particularly on who was better than whom, but on preferences about which kinds of things should be valued higher than others. (BTW, 1 of those who advanced was among those who I thought weren't in the running at all. Wild horses would not drag that person's identity out of me.) grin
What Tim brought was his usual rolling-out of modern music (in this case, 21st century) that most of us would have never heard, and in many cases, have never even heard of the composers. He always plays it well, generally using the scores -- he must be an incredible sight-reader as well as an incredibly fast learner, and it also helps that he has great fingers. Arguably Tim should always make the finals in these amateur competitions, because there's nobody else like him in these events, he does it well, and (I think) it's a valuable kind of thing to have.

On a related note (and I don't think anyone will care but I want to say it anyway) cry I apologize for FORGETTING to have mentioned his making the semi-finals! It was weird -- I certainly didn't 'really' forget about him or didn't know he was there. I mean, I was spending time with him, talking with him, also with his wife who was helping the staff to run the event. But I basically took his making the 2nd round for granted, and in the midst of going crazy about my colleague Jeremy making it on his first try and Thomas Maurice coming back so well from his medical stuff and Gorden not advancing, I got distracted and just forgot to mention it. I realized it as soon as I started driving to the auditorium for the day. I was dying to rectify it, explained it to Tim and his wife and asked if she had internet access. She said sure, and lent me her iPhone. I'll spare you the rest of the details, except to say that I've never worked a smart phone, was sitting there for 15 minutes trying like a moron to log on but couldn't, even with her help, I was missing someone's playing, people out there were cracking up (with good reason), and of course meanwhile neither Tim nor his wife really cared that I didn't mention that he had advanced. It didn't make me feel any less guilt, which I'm somewhat assuaging with this post. grin

The other finalists (together with Tim Adrianson):

Carl DiCasoli
Amber Glynn
Cathryn Lai
Thomas Maurice
Eberhard Zagrosek

P.S. A couple of people at the event mentioned to me that they lurk on this site sometimes. We have a lot more fans (if that's the correct term) whome than we know.

#2106632 - 06/23/13 09:38 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Fantastic! Glad to hear about Tim Adrianson.

I heard him play one of Steve Chandler's piece at the Composer's Coner. He sounded awesome. thumb

I do hope things go well for him at the competition.

Best wishes.

#2106911 - 06/23/13 07:25 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Mark_C Online   content

Results:

1. Zagrosek
2. Maurice
3. DiCasoli
...then Lai, Glynn (tie); Adrianson

It was kind of funny with Zagrosek. He felt he wasn't even going to advance from the 1st round, but as I told him, it seems that especially in amateur competitions and especially in the 1st round, the judges aren't necessarily most influenced by factors that we worry so much about, like 'mistakes' or whatever; they look seriously at what you showed about what kind of basic pianist and musician you are. He wasn't particularly optimistic after the 2nd round either -- and here he is, the winner. smile
His playing showed great depth and emotion, and evocation of moods, and in his playing there is always a sense of striving for understanding and meaning. He has been a finalist in several competitions before. It's great to see him being a winner.

#2106912 - 06/23/13 07:33 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Adrianson came in 6th? That is still very good seeing it is very difficult to place that high up in such a competition.

I wondered about the final result, so thanks for posting MarcC, smile.

#2106915 - 06/23/13 07:38 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: Schubertslieder]
Mark_C Online   content

Considering what Tim does, I think it's especially hard to compare him to the rest of the field. Many people think it's hard to compare almost any different kinds of things -- like, how do you compare someone's Liszt Rhapsody with someone's Mozart's Sonata and someone else's Bach Partita. I generally don't think that's particularly harder than comparing people playing very similar repertoire. But Tim -- what he does is an altogether different kind of thing, with (IMO) extra value because of its uniqueness -- i.e. constantly bringing new music to the events -- and impressive on a totally other kind of level. He's just in a different category. And yes -- however you slice it, just making the finals is a great achievement.

#2106940 - 06/23/13 08:12 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Tim played well for the pieces that he chose. The question, can he play main stream pieces? Other participants tried to show as much variety as possible.
With the pieces that he chose, he can easily get away from :

1. interpretation - virtually nobody knows what the typical interpretation of those pieces are.
2. accuracy - he can press 20 notes wrong, nobody will really know.

That is why it is hard to judge him, and also it is hard to compare him to others. Overall, his playing is always high quality, entertaining and musical. In the previous competitions, I think the judges were just not sure whether to let him to advance to the final, for his unusual choice of repertoire.

I think the judges in this 2013 Boston competition have different criteria.

#2107131 - 06/24/13 09:58 AM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: Mark_C]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Mark, I agree 100% with your assessment of Tom Maurice -- that was the best I've ever heard him play, and just for the reasons you mentioned -- less of the "I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down" factor; more emphasis on virtuosity in service to musicality. Bad back and all, IMO he's graduated from "excellent" to "superb". I was slightly disappointed that he didn't get 1st place, but Eberhard's pianism has also blossomed wonderfully over the years, and to my mind the difference between 1st and 2nd place was VERY close indeed!

I've read some of the other comments -- will respond when I get enough time to "get my thoughts together".

#2107236 - 06/24/13 02:19 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
Mark_C Online   content

Speaking of champions not necessarily getting past a 1st round....it happens to the best of them:

Nadal immediately out in Wimbledon

#2107290 - 06/24/13 03:43 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: ec]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
Tim Adrianson created the "Perfect Storm" with this jury. He also plays that stuff incredibly well of course. I cannot understand how Ayuko Meuller did not advance. She is glorious!

#2107304 - 06/24/13 04:19 PM Re: Seventh Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs [Re: musica71]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: musica71
I cannot understand how Ayuko Meuller did not advance. She is glorious!

+1 thumb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
10/25/14 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
10/25/14 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
10/25/14 08:34 PM
how best to match natural mahogany on plain wood case parts
by msks
10/25/14 08:26 PM
Heading to the junk pile...
by Emmery
10/25/14 07:39 PM
Who's Online
111 registered (Almaviva, alans, anotherscott, anamnesis, 32 invisible), 1286 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158497 Topics
2327649 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission