Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
169 registered (ajames, accordeur, Achilleas, 45 invisible), 1842 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2105403 - 06/20/13 03:39 PM Yamaha P155 - a bargain?
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsingborg, Sweden
I went to a store in Helsingborg and tried out a Yamaha P155 briefly for the first time. It's touch is heavier than that of my former P85. I also tried the Casio CDP-120, which gets good recommendations, but disliked it's piano sound and the touch was too light in my opinion.

I liked the piano sound of the P155. It sells at 11.395 Swedish Kronor, which is around 1.321 euros, 1.744 US dollars and 1.128 UK pounds. Is it a bargain, compared to prices in Europe?

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenorbass1

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2105418 - 06/20/13 04:07 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
Hammertime Offline

Loc: Worcs, UK
General UK price for this is £1099 if that helps

#2105424 - 06/20/13 04:21 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you Hammertime, that helps. All info on prices of this particular DP across our continent does. A possible correction, maybe the price was 11.895 SEK, not 11.395. I've been a bit dizzy the last days because of a cold/flu I cought recently, and it's possibly I read it wrong.

Ordermusic.se has it at 11.895 SEK and I doubt the local store has it lower, since it's in cooperation with ordermusic.se. That would make it 1.180 UK pounds, 1.379 euros. Not much difference though, when the price has reached this high.

Edited by TheodorN (06/20/13 04:24 PM)

#2105427 - 06/20/13 04:33 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
My own personal opinion is that the P155 is priced way too high in relation to other digital pianos considering its age and features, vs a choice selection of newer DPs which cost a bit more.

Kawai ES7 is £1124.

Kawai MP6 is £1150

RD300NX is £1190.

Roland FP7 can be found for about £1150.

#2105455 - 06/20/13 06:08 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you justpin, haven't found any Kawaiis in the area though. It seems a good idea to stick to Yamaha, since I have a good experience from the P85. Now I'm looking for something I won't exchange for something else for many years, as I'm pretty determined I'll stick to the piano.

#2105558 - 06/21/13 03:41 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

The P155 is a solid board and still holds its own very well for straight playing (if you don't need tons of sounds, accompaniment, etc.). I like to practice on it. Still, at the price you mentioned I wouldn't call this a *bargain*. And yes indeed, try to check out the Kawai ES7 as well.

#2105568 - 06/21/13 04:09 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Right maurus, it's not cheap and more than twice what I paid for the P85 three years ago. I can live without the accompaniments and extra voices. Maybe it's not so important to have them built in, since you can always get them by hooking up to your desktop/laptop.

I considered the Yamaha DGX-640, which has almost every accompaniment most would wish for and most instrument sounds, but that would leave me with the same light touch the P85 has. I want to upgrade from that, so it would defeat the purpose.

#2105582 - 06/21/13 05:50 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Why are you upgrading?
The P155 is in a whole higher class of DP than the CDP120 or the DGX640.
Why are you even looking at the CDP120 or DGX640? Both of those aren't an upgrade.

It takes a while for us who don't have the experience to realize what a better keyboard can do. Need to play it a while. Not just try out. What I have was a big upgrade over entry level, like your P85. Still, I can get a whole lot better. We're talking touch, expressiveness, response to velocity. I don't see that you're considering this at all yet?

At least look at the stuff with three sensors.

I highly suggest you take a step back. Start thinking about what an upgrade really is. Consider spending more money on something that is a good upgrade. Like a VPC. At least look at the new PX's.
All I can see you doing right now is spending money on something different. Calling it an upgrade. When, compared to what is available today. The P155 isn't much of an upgrade. Yes it's definitely better. But gee....start thinking. Quit wanting.

#2105595 - 06/21/13 07:29 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: rnaple]
Enthusiast Offline

Loc: UK
I wasn't that impressed with the P-155 for it's price when I tried it out last time in the shops. Considering it costs almost 3 times as much as the P-35 I was expecting more of an upgrade. It sounded dull and the key action felt like a heavier version of the P-35's. Not a lot of sounds either. It's pretty old as well I think maybe 4 or 5 years? When are Yamaha gonna update it?

Kawai ES7 felt and especially sounded a lot more impressive. I'm just not that keen on it's slightly shallow key depth.

#2105597 - 06/21/13 07:33 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: rnaple]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple
Why are you upgrading?
We're talking touch, expressiveness, response to velocity. I don't see that you're considering this at all yet?

At least look at the stuff with three sensors.

I highly suggest you take a step back. Start thinking about what an upgrade really is. Consider spending more money on something that is a good upgrade. Like a VPC. At least look at the new PX's.

Touch, expressiveness, yes. The P85 is quite limited in these areas. Please explain what three sensors mean, more dynamics? Which PX's are worth looking at, PX850?

#2105599 - 06/21/13 07:50 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: rnaple]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

The problem is the £1000-£1500 market is incredibly crowded! At this price level you are really spoilt for choice add in a few quid more and the choice grows significantly. Each major manufacture has 3-4 models around this price range.

#2105606 - 06/21/13 08:02 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

#2105639 - 06/21/13 09:09 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: TheodorN
Touch, expressiveness, yes. The P85 is quite limited in these areas. Please explain what three sensors mean, more dynamics? Which PX's are worth looking at, PX850?

Three sensors means faster repetition. It is possible for two-sensor actions to feel sluggish in certain circumstances. The difference between a two- and three-sensor DP action is analogous to the difference between an upright and grand acoustic action. Mostly newer pianos have three sensor actions. But not all good pianos have three. For example, the Kawai MP10 is a very fine and high-end piano but it has two. Also all of Yamaha's stage pianos have only two sensors including their very high-end CP1. Roland has used triple sensors in their high-end pianos for some time. Yamaha uses them in their Clavinovas but not their Arius line. Kawai has had three sensors in their recent offerings (ES7, VPC1, CA-*), so I think we can expect more of them in the future.

Notice that the P155 gets recommended in this forum very frequently because it's a solid little piano with a good action and in the United States it can be had for a song (sometimes like the equivalent of 650 euro). In Europe the P155 is often overpriced compared to pianos from other manufacturers, so the advice doesn't carry over. For example, someone was saying that the Kawai ES7 is comparable or cheaper in some places. If so, one should not consider the P155 as the ES7 is a far higher-end piano and probably better in every respect. It competes with the Roland FP-80, which also leaves the P155 in the dust.

Edited by gvfarns (06/21/13 09:15 AM)

#2105645 - 06/21/13 09:13 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
Rincewind Offline

Not much of a bargain - the 155 costs 1 209 € here, but that is just the listed price and many retailers and even on-line sellers automatically nod if you ask for like 100 € discount, I think because it is an older instrument. The price is just for the board and sustain pedal, matching stand is sold separately, cca 100 €.

P155 is a great board IMO, but I've read many reviews praising Kawai ES7 so much that I'm decided to buy it online without trying (no retailer nearby to test it) if I sell my Yam CLP 440 (a great DP, but Id like something portable too).

#2105650 - 06/21/13 09:25 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tell me how you get on, I had my heart set on a Roland, but the RDs just won't fit into my dedicated piano space..... I like piano but I'm not going to hack a hole in the wall to fit the joystick bit!

#2105655 - 06/21/13 09:31 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: gvfarns]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns

Notice that the P155 gets recommended in this forum very frequently because it's a solid little piano with a good action and in the United States it can be had for a song (sometimes like the equivalent of 650 euro). In Europe the P155 is often overpriced compared to pianos from other manufacturers,

The average 20% sales tax across Europe doesn't help either (Sweden its 25%!)

#2105656 - 06/21/13 09:33 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

In terms of straightforward piano playing (as opposed to fiddling around with sounds and features) one should not underestimate the P155. Yamaha's GH action is a proven thing, substantial yet very playable. Personally, I don't see a better action at this price point. The Kawai ES7 is an excellent board, its action is very nice to play and its acoustic piano samples are arguably better (but in fact this is a matter of taste). Still, in terms of action alone I'd prefer the P155. Disregarding loudspeakers, Yamaha's CP50 might be another excellent bet in this range.

I am by no means a Yamaha guy, loving my Kawai grand and using the VPC1 with a little red one as my main digital devices. Still I have to admit that the P155 on which I regularly practice does work very well. I still consider it to be the cheapest pianistically *serious* DP (speakers included) on the market.

#2105679 - 06/21/13 10:29 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: maurus]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: maurus
I still consider it to be the cheapest pianistically *serious* DP (speakers included) on the market.

In America, I agree. Unfortunately it's pricey in some other places.

#2105689 - 06/21/13 10:59 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: gvfarns]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
Originally Posted By: maurus
I still consider it to be the cheapest pianistically *serious* DP (speakers included) on the market.

In America, I agree. Unfortunately it's pricey in some other places.

I consider Kawai CL-36 the "cheapest pianistically serious DP" on the market. I bought it new for 800€ and prefer it even to Yamaha CLP440, which is about 2000€. I like RH action specially - it is much closer to baby Yamaha grand we have in the concert hall then Yamaha own's GH action.

Edited by jarosujo (06/21/13 11:04 AM)
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2105692 - 06/21/13 11:01 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
I have a P155 which I bought second hand about a year ago for £700. As others have said its a bit overpriced in the UK and I didn't really want to spend what a brand new one cost. Not sure what the market is like where you are but it might be possible to pick up a 'used bagain'. It has been out for a few years after all and very little has changed.

You might also consider what you want this piano for. I have an acoustic upright and also a digital home piano so the P155 is my gig piano. It's light enough to take out on the road and has a grat action and a nice piano sound. I also like the clean style of it as I play mainly classical music and didn't want a stage piano that looks like it belongs in a rock band. My only real criticism if you intend to use it mostly at home is that most of the speaker power is directed away from the player. There are small monitor speakers facing you but to be honest I don't think the player really hears how it sounds. It is a stage piano and like other such pianos the sound goes out to the audience. It sounds a lot better through a good set of headphones though so that could be the answer. As a home practice piano I would avoid anything made more for stage use for this reason.

#2105696 - 06/21/13 11:08 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thank you for your comments. I'm like a jojo, now I'm leaning towards the Privia series, since the P155 is a child of it's time as some have mentioned. That would cut my cost down 300 Euros and give me a more modern piano with more options.

#2105880 - 06/21/13 05:25 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
TheodorN.... I hope you didn't think I was rude not answering. I'll post on here. Then go to work.
I also hope you understand that I thought this discussion needed waking up. That's what I tried to do. It appears I was successful.

Personally....If I were you. This should be a good upgrade. Don't worry so much about a deal, or saving. Just look for fair price. Because the good ones won't be put on sale. They don't need to.
In fact. Just order an ES7 and thank us all later. smile

On the Privia's... I might be looking at a PX-5. ???? Pretty handy, portable, quality keyboard. But as you can see, I'm a little in love with Kawai. smile

EDIT I almost forgot! .... EDIT: Oh...Hello James?! About that Godzilla Metronome... Can the R&D boys make sure it won't chase my cats? My robotic vacuum cleaner is already all they can handle.

Edited by rnaple (06/21/13 05:29 PM)

#2105884 - 06/21/13 05:30 PM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Go VST with your P85? then you have Yamaha feel but better sounds for about 200Euros.

#2106087 - 06/22/13 05:55 AM Re: Yamaha P155 - a bargain? [Re: TheodorN]
TheodorN Offline
1000 Post Club Member

No rnaple, I didn´t think you were rude. I understand that people have to work and can't sit all day reading Piano World (sometimes I feel I do too much of it myself, even though I'm not working.) I sometimes leave my own discussion threads, even when there are lively discussions going on, simply because I have nothing more to say. The intention is not being rude.

The ES7 gets so much praise that I might take your advice. I can order it at emusic.se it seems. The PX-5S is not yet available here (haven't seen it, neither on- nor offline.) Just watched Piano Man Chuck's video on the difference between it and PX-850, and these two don't seem to differ too much.

Regarding the VAT in Sweden, mentioned by justpin, it's even higher in my home country (Iceland) 25,5%. Think we have the world's highest VAT.

I sold my P85, so I can't get a VST with it.

Edit: I second getting Kawaii James's opinion, that is almost a necessity in discussions where Kawaiis are mentioned!

Edited by TheodorN (06/22/13 05:59 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Gratitude
by Music Me
18 minutes 19 seconds ago
The Notebook - Main Title - I'd like to know your opinion
by Dan Oliveira
27 minutes 36 seconds ago
Interface Woes
by mitzysman
30 minutes 32 seconds ago
In-Car Keyboard / Synth Setup
by Scott Hamlin
Today at 02:31 PM
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
Today at 01:18 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159372 Topics
2341117 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission