2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 54 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 53 54

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by Polyphonist
I just remembered that I never actually posted here. laugh

Too late now. I'll be in the 1000s pretty soon if the opus number thread on Pianist Corner survives. It's addictive. ha

It certainly is. But after almost 1000 posts in two months we still know nothing about you other than 1) you live in NYC, 2) own a Steinway, and 3) like classical music. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey

Too late now. I'll be in the 1000s pretty soon if the opus number thread on Pianist Corner survives. It's addictive. ha

It certainly is. But after almost 1000 posts in two months we still know nothing about you other than 1) you live in NYC, 2) own a Steinway, and 3) like classical music. grin

We know that he loves novelty threads and Chopin. haha

Online Content

Originally Posted by JoelW

We know that he loves novelty threads and Chopin. haha

I suppose many meaningful online relationships have been built on less than that ......

However - I prefer to have discussions with real people. grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
N
N
Hello I am a new member, I am originally from Austria and have started to play the piano when I was elven. I have been lurking around on this forum for some time. I especially love the wise quotes, they give me inspiration and encourage me with the piano playing. Because our family has been moving around so much during my childhood, I wasn't able to play very regularly. Two years ago, I joined the orchestra of my university for a one-off performance, however, the concert didn't go very well. I felt I had let down everybody in the orchestra. I stopped playing for a year, but finally got over it. I decided to take a teacher, and I am so glad that I did continue to play. Now I have improved much more and gained my confidence back. smile

My goal is to able to play the piano at a professional standard, and my ultimate wish is to be able to play the Goldberg Variations. My dad loves them and since I was a little kid, I had listen to them. In recent years, I have come to appreciate them much more, and they are part of me already. smile

Life's tradegy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. - Benjamin Franklin
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
However - I prefer to have discussions with real people. grin

What, do you think I'm a robot or something? ha

Originally Posted by JoelW
We know that he loves Chopin. haha

And Beethoven, and Rachmaninoff. Those are probably my top 3 ATM. ha

(I didn't know what ATM meant until yesterday, when I looked it up in my new Texting Dictionary of Acronyms. grin)

Regards,

Polyphonist

Online Content

Originally Posted by niluh01
Hello I am a new member, I am originally from Austria and have started to play the piano when I was elven. I have been lurking around on this forum for some time. I especially love the wise quotes, they give me inspiration and encourage me with the piano playing. Because our family has been moving around so much during my childhood, I wasn't able to play very regularly. Two years ago, I joined the orchestra of my university for a one-off performance, however, the concert didn't go very well. I felt I had let down everybody in the orchestra. I stopped playing for a year, but finally got over it. I decided to take a teacher, and I am so glad that I did continue to play. Now I have improved much more and gained my confidence back. smile

My goal is to able to play the piano at a professional standard, and my ultimate wish is to be able to play the Goldberg Variations. My dad loves them and since I was a little kid, I had listen to them. In recent years, I have come to appreciate them much more, and they are part of me already. smile

Welcome to the forums !! Glad you've started playing again and have regained your confidence. Some of us here have had similar experiences - and the best thing to do is learn from them and keep moving forward.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
666th post.

H
H
667th post!!

M
M
I'm a returning amateur pianist, having played from age 7 to 17, and then off and on after that; mostly off. Now I've got nice Yamaha grand. What got me back was a piece by Philip Glass, 'Opening'. It's so simple that, once memorized, you can't forget it, and I would use it to try out the occasional piano encountered along the way. Finally realized that when a piece stays with you for 35 years, it's trying to tell you something. Now I'm finishing up his etudes. I play every day, sometimes for hours.

C
C
Hey! I'm a high-school pianist from Canada currently working on my ARCT. I began to take piano lessons at 8 and was working on my grade ten at 13. However I got bored of classical music at that point and spent a bunch of years just writing really bad techno music and playing rock and pop. A few years ago I decided to get back into it. I did my grade 10 exam in December and I'm taking a couple months' break to learn jazz. Come summer, I will begin serious preparations for my ARCT, which I guess will have to include some history exams which I am not looking forward to.

I love romantic era classical music especially- chopin, some debussy, liszt, schubert, and rachmaninoff and some of his contemporaries. There are only two types of classical music I don't enjoy: atonal (like barber) and Bach (yes, I know... he's very acclaimed and his music is complex and stuff. But I can't stand it. At least, not on the piano.) Right now I'm working on Chopin's Scherzo in B minor, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and Liszt's 'Un Sospiro.' if you have tips on these, feel free to let me know about those, via PM or whatever else.

I teach piano, and I also play guitar, cello, harmonica, drums, clarinet, djembe, ukelele and voice.

Oh yeah and I'm Canadian.

Working on:
Chopin Scherzo Op. 20
Liszt Un Sospiro S. 144
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ChrisCrumb
However I got bored of classical music and spent a bunch of years just writing really bad techno music and playing rock and pop.

A lot of students go through these phases.

Come summer, I will begin serious preparations for my ARCT...

Are you working with a teacher still?

Hey! I'm a high-school pianist from Canada...

...Oh yeah and I'm Canadian.

wink

You'll grow out of the Bach-hating phase. I went through it too. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Hey! I'm a high-school pianist from Canada currently working on my ARCT. I began to take piano lessons at 8 and was working on my grade ten at 13. However I got bored of classical music at that point and spent a bunch of years just writing really bad techno music and playing rock and pop. A few years ago I decided to get back into it. I did my grade 10 exam in December and I'm taking a couple months' break to learn jazz. Come summer, I will begin serious preparations for my ARCT, which I guess will have to include some history exams which I am not looking forward to.

I love romantic era classical music especially- chopin, some debussy, liszt, schubert, and rachmaninoff and some of his contemporaries. There are only two types of classical music I don't enjoy: atonal (like barber) and Bach (yes, I know... he's very acclaimed and his music is complex and stuff. But I can't stand it. At least, not on the piano.) Right now I'm working on Chopin's Scherzo in B minor, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and Liszt's 'Un Sospiro.' if you have tips on these, feel free to let me know about those, via PM or whatever else.

I teach piano, and I also play guitar, cello, harmonica, drums, clarinet, djembe, ukelele and voice.

Oh yeah and I'm Canadian.

Barber's tonal! Just listen to his Adagio for Strings, or Violin Concerto if you want to hear his rich melodic gift. The piano sonata and concerto are more jarring, but overall are quite tonal. You might like the 4th movement of his piano sonata!

Last edited by Kuanpiano; 05/21/13 11:03 PM.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Do you have enough experience to teach? wink

Guitar, cello, harmonica, drums, clarinet, djembe, ukelele, and voice - quite a list! Maybe you'd be interested in seeing the score for my newly written Double Concerto, for Djembe, Ukelele, and Orchestra? grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I love romantic era classical music especially- chopin, some debussy, liszt, schubert, and rachmaninoff...

Did you know that you made 8 capitalization errors in just that little excerpt? grin

I love the works of all those composers as well, or at least most of their output. Are you into people like Mozart or Haydn at all? I imagine you don't enjoy Scarlatti, since you don't like Bach (that will - hopefully - change). How about Beethoven?

Regards,

Polyphonist
B
B
Hi pepz!

I only got into classical music two years ago and my piano playing is an astounding grade zero. But that didn't diminish my interest in classical music, especially piano pieces.

Anyway I will be starting a thread in this section hoping to discuss Vladimir Horowitz's varied tone colours. Hope to hear from u guys soon!

Cheers,
Blue Ranger

Cheers,
Blue Ranger
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Blue Ranger
But that didn't diminish my interest in classical music, especially piano pieces.

Another person who doesn't call them songs! We're making progress! smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
BTW, I discovered today that iTunes calls absolutely anything a song. I uploaded some language-study stuff from CD's -- and it called them "songs."

As I've said, we're fighting a losing battle.
If we choose to fight it, which I don't much. smile

B
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
BTW, I discovered today that iTunes calls absolutely anything a song. I uploaded some language-study stuff from CD's -- and it called them "songs."

As I've said, we're fighting a losing battle.
If we choose to fight it, which I don't much. smile

Lol. A battle? Anyway, just for laughs, I got struck by a philosophical question along the lines of "if a man makes a mistake in a forest without women around, did he still make a mistake?"

So, if Glenn Gould called a "piece" a "song", is there still any mistake?

Cheers,
Blue Ranger
P
P
Hello, everyone. Poopsie is my nickname and I discovered this site and appreciated the questions and tips I got from it. I have been playing the piano for years, and have held recitals when I was a teen-ager. Unfortunately, I pursued a different career. Across the years and therefore never developed my gift to the hilt.

I am now 53 and opted to go back to really intensive practice, and after a few months, I have improved. I like the effects of playing piano on my blood sugar as I am diabetic for many years, and going back to the instrument has indeed have had profound wonders in lowering down my blood sugar and relaxing me (in support of meds of course).

I look forward to interacting with great musicians here and learn from everyone as well as contribute my own two bits worth.

S
S
Hi fellow pianists!

I am Francis Smith, have been playing piano for at least 29 years (the early 1980s when I was still a young child).

The fact that I can play the piano at all is a miracle, considering I was born with no ears at all (and other craniofacial deformities, due to Treacher Collins syndrome). God gave me the ear for music anyway!

I was classically trained in piano by two wonderful teachers throughout my childhood and adolescence (1984-1993).

The piano I grew up with and learned to play on was my family's 1914 Hobart M. Cable upright grand (made in Elkhart, IN, not too far from my home city of Fort Wayne). Since 2008, it has been on permanent loan to a family friend of ours, since I moved away to London (UK) in 2004 and my mom sold our family home in 2008.

Since I moved to Calgary, Alberta, in 2012, I now own a 1962 Heintzman conservatory model upright, which I had totally professionally refinished and stained in a gorgeous green stain (with an airbrushed painting of my green violin on the front music desk panel). This unique green piano now resides with me in my downtown Calgary high-rise apartment.

I also play the violin; I found a green violin in Hobgoblin Music shop in central London in 2005 and taught myself to play it.

Francis Smith

Page 34 of 54 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 53 54

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission