2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by TimR
Originally Posted by Morodiene
TimR, do you have the vocal part memorized?

I will by Sunday!

This group will actually be surprised if I sing the correct words. I've needed new glasses most of the past year, and in the dim lighting of the church frequently didn't quite see the words quite right and made up new ones on the fly; it was a constant source of amusement for the altos in front of me. Sometimes I didn't even realize I was doing it. Now I have vision insurance and I'm seeing better.

Immoral, invisible, God only wise,
Too tight inaccessible hid from our eyes. Etc.
I find that having the words memorized really helps, then you can focus on your playing. Seeing helps, too. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Might be a bit late, but here are my 2 cents:

I read that the left hand notes are C-G-F-C. I presume you are using 5-1-5-1 fingering? so the jump would be between G and F. The important note here is G (not to mean accent it) for the preparation to jump to F. Very common people would focus the landing (target) than the take off.

1st finger resting on G, play G with a feeling of "bouncing" as soon as you hit it (like it has a spring underneath the thumb). Your forearm should be lifting up as a result of the bounce. Then drop back to the note G without any effort and let gravity do the job.

Once you are familiar with the bouncing feeling, play G then bounce to F and rest your 5th finger there without playing. Make this movement as fast as you can between the 2 notes. Practice until you can bounce and land accurately on F (still without playing F). Once you feel that you've got it, play as normal. When you play at normal tempo, make those movements as small and as economical, so small you can hardly see it but you can feel it.

Good luck!

Be yourself

T
TimR Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075
Might be a bit late, but here are my 2 cents:

I read that the left hand notes are C-G-F-C. I presume you are using 5-1-5-1 fingering? so the jump would be between G and F.

Oh, sorry, I didn't describe in enough detail what I'm doing.

It is common in some styles of church music to play a left hand pattern on simple chords, usually I, IV, and V, where you first play the root in octaves, followed by the chord up an octave. So for example you would play C2 and C3 with 5 and 1 of left hand as a chord with pedal, followed by C3 E3 G3 as a chord on the next beat. Then the chord change may follow. Usually the right hand is tinkling along on the melody. That requires a shift of the left hand, but it's not a difficult shift because you have a finger on C3 so you know where it is without looking.

What I'm doing is based on this. I play C2 C3 together 5 and 1 of left hand on beat one, and while holding I play C5 E5 G5 with the right hand on beats two and three. I don't want to play the melody here, I'm staying out of the way of the voices.

Then I need to change the chord, and here's where the leap comes. I need to move the C2 C3 left hand to play G2 G3. I play the root note of the chord in octaves with the left hand, followed by the entire chord in the right hand a couple of octaves above it.

It's a method of adding variety to a simple accompaniment, and at my skill level I stick to simple if I'm playing in public.

gotta go practice
T
TimR Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T
Well, it's done.

The performance went well.

And I cheated big time. I recruited extra singers to take that pressure off me. I memorized the piano part, and refrained from singing except where they really needed it. So I was able to look at my hands as needed, and got through it fine.

I still need to keep working on leaps, but this one worked out.

gotta go practice
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission