Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
125 registered (ajames, 36251, accordeur, ando, 38 invisible), 1608 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2105784 - 06/21/13 01:59 PM Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions
exquisitemelody24 Offline

I'm new to the DP world, and I'm looking at the korg sp 280, yamaha p 105, and the casio px 150. Had a few question:

1. I like the way the korg sp 280 sounds (and I like that there are more acoustic piano options than the others), but I feel like I notice that some notes don't play, and I don't know if that's me and my inexperience with these DPs and because I have a generally light touch, or if it's the piano. Has anyone experienced this problem?

2. I also noticed that the korg and the casio don't seem to sustain the notes long enough (or at least I don't notice the decay with the yamaha). Again, is this me or the piano? Is there something I can do to fix that? I was using the 3 pedal set with the casio when I was trying it out.

3. When I was trying out the yamaha, the high notes seemed REALLY shrill and doesn't didn't sound very nice. I didn't notice this issue with the other pianos. Was it me, the piano, or the headphones? I picked up a pair of HD428's from the store just so I used the same headphones for all the pianos.

Help would be appreciated!! I'm leaning toward the yamaha because I think it has the best balance of pros/cons for my taste. I can't tell if I don't like the casio because the store is too loud, and I can't hear it properly. I am planning to go to another store this weekend in another town to try it, and maybe I can get a better listen.

Edited by exquisitemelody24 (06/21/13 02:03 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2105890 - 06/21/13 05:45 PM Re: Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions [Re: exquisitemelody24]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Originally Posted By: exquisitemelody24
I'm new to the DP world, and I'm looking at the korg sp 280, yamaha p 105, and the casio px 150. Had a few question:

1. I like the way the korg sp 280 sounds (and I like that there are more acoustic piano options than the others), but I feel like I notice that some notes don't play, and I don't know if that's me and my inexperience with these DPs and because I have a generally light touch, or if it's the piano. Has anyone experienced this problem?

2. I also noticed that the korg and the casio don't seem to sustain the notes long enough (or at least I don't notice the decay with the yamaha). Again, is this me or the piano? Is there something I can do to fix that? I was using the 3 pedal set with the casio when I was trying it out.

3. When I was trying out the yamaha, the high notes seemed REALLY shrill and doesn't didn't sound very nice. I didn't notice this issue with the other pianos. Was it me, the piano, or the headphones? I picked up a pair of HD428's from the store just so I used the same headphones for all the pianos.

Help would be appreciated!! I'm leaning toward the yamaha because I think it has the best balance of pros/cons for my taste. I can't tell if I don't like the casio because the store is too loud, and I can't hear it properly. I am planning to go to another store this weekend in another town to try it, and maybe I can get a better listen.

1. All the notes should sound when you press the keys. If they don't it is a problem with the piano.

2. The sustain on a digital piano isn't adjustable. Short decay times are common on cheaper digitals. Casio did improve the sustain on it's current line but the initial attack still fades rather quickly. A workaround would be to connect the piano to a computer and use a software piano.

3. Yahama samples from their acoustic pianos and they tend to have a brighter sound. The P-105 has a light action which could be some of the problem. There is a touch setting on all digital pianos to adjust the velocity curve of the keyboard. You could try changing the setting to see if it helps.

All three of these pianos are a good choice for a beginner.

#2106052 - 06/22/13 02:00 AM Re: Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have the SP280 and prefer it to the other 2. In terms of touch I felt the P105 was too "jumpy" and actually thought my P95 was better and I should not have sold it to get the P105- in the end its fine because I use my PX130 and SP280 but the 105 did not meet my expectations
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2106068 - 06/22/13 02:38 AM Re: Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions [Re: galaxy4t]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: galaxy4t
. . .
2. The sustain on a digital piano isn't adjustable. . . .

. . .
All three of these pianos are a good choice for a beginner.

Actually, many Roland digipianos (and maybe other brands) _do_ allow adjustment of the decay time. But I think all the adjustable Rolands are considerably more costly than the P105/PX-150. [You need the SuperNatural engine, _and_ the "virtual technician" feature -- the low-end Rolands don't have the VT).

I don't much like the SP280 action, but that's a personal opinion. FWIW, I agree that any one of the three will be OK.

. Charles

PS -- bias -- I own a PX-350.

PPS -- 23 June 2013 -- Just for the record: After some research, I find that the Roland V-Piano offers adjustable decay time, and so does Pianoteq (not the "Stage" version)(the "soundboard impedance" is the magic parameter). So it's not a commonly-available adjustment.

Edited by Charles Cohen (06/24/13 02:12 AM)

#2106069 - 06/22/13 02:48 AM Re: Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions [Re: exquisitemelody24]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England

These are all £500 pianos here in the UK, they're not perfect. However, if portability isn't absolutely necessary I'd take a look at the KAWAI CL26 , costs just over £500 here in the UK and is a marked step up from the pianos discussed here, I don't think it was intended to be carried around in a bag but it's possible to pick it up easily and carry it from room to room.

#2106177 - 06/22/13 12:14 PM Re: Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions [Re: galaxy4t]
Mike_Martin Offline

Originally Posted By: galaxy4t

Short decay times are common on cheaper digitals.

Galaxy4t,
Sorry but you're simply propagating a myth and there is nothing factual about this statement.

Out of curiousity, how many 9 foot acoustic concert grands have you played and from how many different manufacturers? Have you ever recorded a 9 foot concert grand? Have you ever sampled an acoustic piano?

Here are the facts. All acoustic pianos sound different. Ones from certain brands have certain characteristics that others do not. A sample is going to capture that character, depending on how many samples a manufacturer makes and how they implement it will determine how accurately that piano is ultimately reproduced.

That being said the decay of Casio's acoustic piano sound is not too different from one other brand's product costing over 6 times the price that uses gigabytes of samples. Why? Because both are capturing the same BRAND of acoustic (although not the same physical piano).

There are other elements of the recording process such as audio compression (not data compression) that can affect the decay of an acoustic piano sample. It is Casio's position to deliver a pure unprocessed representation of the piano. Leaving it up to the user to add compression to audio compression during a song's mixing process gives the use the most flexibility in how ultimately the piano will sound in a mix with other instruments.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

#2106317 - 06/22/13 03:54 PM Re: Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Trinidad and Tobago
Till yesterday I was contemplating between these three .. Exhausting isn't it. I caved and went for the yamaha because I quite like the ghs action. Casio felt better but ghs isn't as light as I was expecting and due to a muscle condition I was fearful of the fatigue that the casio action may induce.

Plus to get the half pedaling with casio u have to buy the stand and pedals which cost extra.

With yamaha u can just simply purchase the fc-3 pedal which I already own.

Yamaha has straight usb connection so I plan to use to set up a software piano, though this can be done with the Casio and korg as well. Slightly different cables used and midi direct connection seems to be favored. More flexible I guess.

I was very very tempted by the korg as it seemed like it was pretty awesome for the price but where I am from I won't be able to use any warrenty in case anything goes wrong so I chose the yamaha as they have a better rep for quality control. The speakers are ridiculous for the price tho. 22w x 2
Yamaha and casio speakers are a lot less powerful.

At least those were my reasons for finally taking the plunge and going for the yamaha.

I am one of the lucky ones . I honestly don't see why the ghs is disliked. Played a cvp 609 as well. The action was smoother and overall it felt better but the ghs was in no way bad. I had good dynamic control of the songs I played on the ghs action. Considering the price of the cvp was close to 50grandtt (about 8000us) I chose to stay away from it.

My advice is to go with whichever action u like best, consider whether u need half pedaling or not, and purchase the galaxy vintage D software for use with kontakt.

You won't regret it. I plan to get a good pair of studio speakers in the future.

The casio action does seem superior however, if muscle fatigue wasn't an issue I'd probably go with the casio. But keep in mind the extra for the stand and 3 pedal unit.

I got a refurbished p105 for 479us on eBay.

Hopefully there will be no problems with it when it arrives. If so I wasted my money frown

Good luck in your selection. Ponder it carefully. Figure out which action is best and what you want out of the piano, whether u want to try software pianos or not. I recommend u try them, everything is adjustable with software pianos. The samples are 10gb. Sustain, decay, velocity curves, everything is at your fingertips for customization. I use em with a Sony v6 headphones.

Lots of factors to take into consideration.

Best of luck.

Sony V6 Studio Headphones :: Presonus Audiobox USB ::Rokit 6 G3::

Kayserburg UH132 Grand Upright Piano

#2106953 - 06/23/13 08:41 PM Re: Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions [Re: exquisitemelody24]
exquisitemelody24 Offline

Thanks so much for all the replies!! I appreciate it.

I took home my casio px 150 today smile I finally got a better listen in a quieter store, and I liked the feel of the casio better. Now to invest in some good headphones...

#2107601 - 06/25/13 02:01 AM Re: Korg sp 280/casio px 150/yamaha p 105 questions [Re: exquisitemelody24]
Mta88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Trinidad and Tobago
Congratulations.. My P105 should be arriving next week..

As for headphones... Two words.. Sony V6

as in the Sony V6 Studio monitors.. U won't be disappointed..

I own one. They are amazing. And I'm very picky.

Sony V6 Studio Headphones :: Presonus Audiobox USB ::Rokit 6 G3::

Kayserburg UH132 Grand Upright Piano

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159983 Topics
2349379 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission