2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hello Everyone,

After much time it has been impossible to resolve a split measure issue (image below). In measure 45, beats three, four and five have as many notes and rests on the middle staves as with beat two.

To merely enter the notes seems to need a preliminary split into four sections (beats one and two in the first one, beats three, four and five in each of the others) - but after the first split the rests for beats three through five "disappear" and further splitting becomes impossible.

Solutions involving a measure in 2/4 (but somehow marked 5/4) and then a 1/4 measure for each of the remaining beats while hiding barlines, et c., don't work because of the whole notes in the top and bottom staves. I am just trying to get the notes and horizontal splits in with this measure as the first step and assume that later as normal one can tie the whole notes in the top and bottom staff to the quarter notes in the same two staves, add markings about playing notes or groups of notes an octave higher or lower (8-----), et c.

[Linked Image]

Anyone here familiar with a procedure to make this work or should I just let it go and forget about entering this composition into Finale?

This one measure before the coda seems to be the sticking point for entering the composition - I would hate to give up just on account of one measure.

Thanks in advance for any tips to solve this!

M.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Michael,

Check your email! wink

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Nikolas,

Thanks and check your email!

M.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'm curious what the solution is so why keep it private?

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
lol...

It's not kept private or anything. It's no secret.

But I'm away to Baku (Azerbaijan), and without my computer, so posting, etc, is rather difficult right now. Since he emailed me, I replied to his email... that's all.

What I told him basically is to separate this 5/4 bar to 3 bars of 2/4, 1/4 and 2/4 and put them in different systems. Hide the time signatures and show a different one, etc...

But I also questioned the sanity of using 128ths in any work... brrr...

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Nikolas

What I told him basically is to separate this 5/4 bar to 3 bars of 2/4, 1/4 and 2/4 and put them in different systems. Hide the time signatures and show a different one, etc...

But I also questioned the sanity of using 128ths in any work... brrr...

Ah, I see. I did doubt whether the chord would continue to be heard with all the fast octaves happening, almost certainly not. That being the case there's no need to show them as a sustained sound. I suppose you could use a sostenuto pedal to accomplish exactly that and have all the fast notes get damped and then your original chord would magically appear from the wash of sound. Interesting concept, but not one that needs to be accomplished in 1 bar.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Nikolas' solution has worked perfectly.

The tempo is only quarter note = 46.5 so I think the 128ths are okay, especially in the context where the piece rapidly builds to a peak. I'm not sure what per cent of pianists can actually manage it but being a show piece it is okay if not everyone can pull it off fully in all aspects (128ths + superfortissimo hammering of each and every one of those alternating octaves!).

The Finale score is being fine tuned but here is the (uncorrected) handwritten copy:

http://michaelsayers.com/compositionpdfs/0024_FANTASY_MARCH.pdf

(high res so it will need to be downloaded)

What worries me more about the composition is the title as there seems to be melodic connection to the music of Schubert, almost as though it is a Fantasy March on Schubert's X (X=the Schubert composition name). I don't recognize the exact Schubert composition or composition(s) involved and therefore can not refer to this in the title.

It would be concerning if it were to be thought that I would borrow music without giving acknowledgment.

p.s. - For Steve, I think you should write a virtuoso composition that explores the concept you mention!

M.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission