Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2105837 - 06/21/13 03:58 PM What kind of vehicle do technicians drive?
PeterGriffin Offline

What kind of vehicle do you drive to work? A car, van or truck?

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2105838 - 06/21/13 04:02 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Samthetech Offline

Most of your tools will fit in a tool box. You drive what you can afford. Honestly, if I didn't live where it snowed, I'd buy a backpack, drive a motorcycle and save on gas. I drove a company truck until I started on my own, and the only time I put anything in the back was when I took something (like a bench) back to their shop, where they did full restorations.

And why yes, I know I'm a girl!

#2105841 - 06/21/13 04:10 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
PeterGriffin Offline

Hi Sam,
I'd like to thank you for your answers to some of my other questions because they have helped me a lot, and has increased my confidence. smile

Edited by PeterGriffin (06/21/13 04:15 PM)

#2105847 - 06/21/13 04:18 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Samthetech Offline

No problem. I know how scary it looks out there, especially when all your competition is 30 years older.

#2105848 - 06/21/13 04:22 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Nash. Piano Rescue Offline

Loc: East Nashville,TN Scottsville...
With all the texting and driving wrecks I try to avoid smaller cars
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

#2105859 - 06/21/13 04:40 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
You may consider the ability to carry an action (grand or an upright on a action cradle) to your or a friend's shop safely.
Also, consider room for a portable fold up table as well as your tool kit.
Usually a hatchback with folding rear seats of some sort will do.

#2105866 - 06/21/13 04:47 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: Gene Nelson]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Gene Nelson
You may consider the ability to carry an action (grand or an upright on a action cradle) to your or a friend's shop safely.
Also, consider room for a portable fold up table as well as your tool kit.
Usually a hatchback with folding rear seats of some sort will do.

A valid consideration. However my Hyundai Elantra -- as with just about every other similar car I have had -- does quite well at carrying almost any grand or upright action as a front seat "passenger". One end goes where the passenger's feet would normally go and the other on or just under the headrest.

Also, most of these cars have the back seat seatbacks that release, creating contiguous room from the trunk. That being the case, there isn't any piano part I can't carry in my 30+mpg FWD car. Also, I'm able to carry my collapsible piano tilter and enough tools to do whatever needs to be done onsite.

#2105867 - 06/21/13 04:48 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
I upgraded to a four wheel drive Chevrolet Colorado last year. I'm a school teacher as my full-time job, and hated just sitting at home on those snow days. Now I can get out and tune a few pianos when I'm off from school.

Here's a picture... it gets a lot of attention around town. I'm going to add some more graphics in the rear side windows soon. Yes, there are a couple of errors in the keys. The designer guy I guess cut and pasted to get a piano keyboard to fit the length of the truck. Most people don't notice it. I had already approved the design and had it home for a few days before I noticed. Oh well. LOL

www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

#2105870 - 06/21/13 04:58 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Jbyron Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
After having a van for a while I decided that smaller was better for my needs. I considered the risk of getting in an accident with a smaller car and felt the rewards of easy maneuverability, comfort, gas mileage, lower maintenance cost outweighed the risk. Also, a lot of new cars have more airbags than a Mars Lander, which may actually be safer than my van was.

I have a Toyota sedan, which so far has been able to carry everything I've needed to carry.

Edited by Jbyron (06/21/13 05:01 PM)

#2105887 - 06/21/13 05:35 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Loc: Conway, AR USA
In rural areas, slough, ruts and shallow creek-crossing called for 4WD here. Had a Ford Explorer.

"Not to know what took place before you were born is to remain forever a child." - Cicero

#2105889 - 06/21/13 05:44 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
That Guy Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE
My car is a PT Cruiser. My daughter informed me a while back that the PT stands for "Piano Tuner" wink
www.thattuningguy.com

#2105909 - 06/21/13 06:24 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I drive a wagon so that I can load actions and tools easily and safely. Unfortunately, gas mileage could be better, and it is expensive as %$#@ to maintain. When I am ready for my next car, I will probably get an SUV.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2105926 - 06/21/13 07:13 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Your car is a client's first impression of you and your business. It's my mobile store front. I drive an Acura MDX. It has four wheel drive and enough guts to pull my trailer for occasional piano moves. Being a 2005 I'm thinking about trading it in, though.

When I was visiting Joel and Priscilla Rappaport this past February, Priscilla was enamored with her new Honda Fit. She got the sport model and upgraded the wheels so it looked snazzy. It was getting 38mph on the highway and was very peppy.

The car I'd like to own, however, is a Tesla!
www.pianova.net

#2105927 - 06/21/13 07:13 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Ryan, what kind of temperament do you use to tune the keyboard pattern on your truck??

Just got a 2011 Nissan Juke. It's a fun car to drive.

Edited by Dave B (06/21/13 07:15 PM)

#2105944 - 06/21/13 07:58 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
The ideal hatch back should be able to carry tools and an action (it is a struggle but I have done it) and get at least 26mpg on the freeway, and be fun to drive.
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/myvette002.jpg

#2105965 - 06/21/13 08:56 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: rysowers]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: rysowers
Your car is a client's first impression of you and your business.

Uh Oh I drive a lifted 1988 Toyota 4runner and a loud mean looking motorcycle. I wounder what they think!!!

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2105977 - 06/21/13 09:29 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Gary Fowler Offline

I drive a Honda Accord. But even if I could afford an expensive car, I wouldn't drive it to tuning appointments.

#2105993 - 06/21/13 10:11 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: Gary Fowler]
Roy Rodgers Offline

Loc: Ranger, Texas
Most days I drive my VW Passat. On rare occasions when my wife may need the car,
I use my 1958 Chevy pickup (Mater). People usually seem more interested in the truck
than my work when I drive up in it.

#2106004 - 06/21/13 11:11 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: Dave B]
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Ryan, what kind of temperament do you use to tune the keyboard pattern on your truck??

I tune it to the Unequal Beating Mid-Century Temperament It's quite new. You should see the fingerings for the scales. One has to have 12 fingers to play on it correctly. grin

It was a printers mistake and since I had approved the design, I would probably have to pay for it again. I'm going to just live with it for a while. I'll be more careful to proof better next time. I've only had one person notice it.
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

#2106024 - 06/22/13 12:25 AM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
50,000 miles most years. Road vehicle at present is a 2003 Buick LeSaber, in deep Burgundy. 30+ MPG and paid for car!!
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#2106025 - 06/22/13 12:33 AM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: RPD]
Samthetech Offline

Originally Posted By: RPD
50,000 miles most years. Road vehicle at present is a 2003 Buick LeSaber, in deep Burgundy. 30+ MPG and paid for car!!

I drive an older LeSaber and get the same mileage. Amazing for their size, isn't it? I would actually recommend one to anyone planning on being a "road warrior." I can fit an action in my backseat easily, not that I've ever had to. (Doesn't mean I won't eventually, though.)

As for the advertising thing/front of your business thing, this is very true, but don't sink money into until you have the money. As a beginning tech, worry more about quality. Otherwise, you'll end up with a crappy reputation and that'll kill you.

RPD, if you could PM me about the Master Technician thing in your signature, that would be wonderful. I've never heard of them.

#2106043 - 06/22/13 01:18 AM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: Samthetech]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Samthetech

RPD, if you could PM me about the Master Technician thing in your signature, that would be wonderful. I've never heard of them.

http://www.master-piano-techs.org/

#2106142 - 06/22/13 10:21 AM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I became an ECO-TUNER - I just switched to a Prius C. I'm averaging 52 MPG on most trips. I downsized my tools as well. It's not a family car - but it's saving me $$$ on gas. I'm hoping the airbags will keep me safe!

#2106155 - 06/22/13 11:05 AM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Rod Verhnjak
Originally Posted By: rysowers
Your car is a client's first impression of you and your business.

Uh Oh I drive a lifted 1988 Toyota 4runner and a loud mean looking motorcycle. I wounder what they think!!!

That's because you are one of those uncouth "rebuilder" types Rod! Us tuners must exhibit more refined taste to the public. grin
www.pianova.net

#2106186 - 06/22/13 12:37 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: PeterGriffin]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Anyone have a hearse for those sad trips to the landfill with the piano that Grand Aunt Emma, who studied with Rubenstein, dearly loved?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2106189 - 06/22/13 12:44 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Dan Casdorph Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
Honda Element AWD with, of course, a manual transmission.
All pianos are bald ones.

#2106193 - 06/22/13 12:47 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Anyone have a hearse for those sad trips to the landfill with the piano that Grand Aunt Emma, who studied with Rubenstein, dearly loved?

No, I have a guy for that, if the need arises. I give the client his number, and he tells me when it's done... kind of like those mobster movies.

#2106204 - 06/22/13 01:00 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: Dan Casdorph]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dan Casdorph

Several have mentioned 4WD/AWD. I had a Subaru Legacy wagon for some years. If you are a "country tuner" this can be a handy feature if you don't want to be shut down whenever there is inclement weather.

#2106227 - 06/22/13 01:32 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: kpembrook]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kpembrook

Several have mentioned 4WD/AWD. I had a Subaru Legacy wagon for some years. If you are a "country tuner" this can be a handy feature if you don't want to be shut down whenever there is inclement weather.

How do you like your Subaru? I'm thinking of getting one after my bank account recovers from all the Saab repairs. Haha.

#2106255 - 06/22/13 02:21 PM Re: What kind of vehicle do technicians drive? [Re: beethoven986]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beethoven986
Originally Posted By: kpembrook

How do you like your Subaru? I'm thinking of getting one after my bank account recovers from all the Saab repairs. Haha.

I recommend Subaru. As the above quote and an earlier post indicate, I had a Subaru and now drive an Elantra. The only downside (for me) is that the Legacy and Legacy Outback have substantially changed from my model. Now the Outback has morphed into a SUV -- OK if you want one, but I liked the compact station wagon that simply had AWD and was built like a truck. I was able to take it anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (bennevis, 36251, AndrewJCW, angga888, beeboss, AZNpiano, 18 invisible), 1244 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156081 Topics
2292027 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is it worth upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard disk?
by CarloPiano
55 minutes 17 seconds ago
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission