Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2108134 - 06/25/13 10:04 PM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: Schubertslieder]
JosephAC Offline

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Schubertslieder
Originally Posted By: JosephAC
I have some more questions :
a) Is 'rolled chords' same as arpeggio ?
Yes, they are the same but different names.

Quote:
b) What is 'motifs' ?
Motive or motif is s short musical idea. A motive is the smallest structure or unit in a theme.

Quote:
c) What does cadence mean ? Any mark for it ?
Cadence is a harmonic or melodic part where pausing or ending is created.
A few examples of cadences are Authentic cadence, Half cadence, Plagal cadence, Deceptive cadence, and etc.

Thanks Schubertslieder. Cool answers that I understand.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2108136 - 06/25/13 10:09 PM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: Schubertslieder]
JosephAC Offline

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
I have some more questions :
a) Is 'rolled chords' same as arpeggio ?
Yes, they are the same but different names.

To me arpegios are written as broken chords single notes while rolled chords are written as solid chord with rolled line next to the chord. They require very different technique to execute. Rolled chords usually should be played within the beat.

Blocked chord or a solid chord with a rolled line next to it is also called arpeggio. Arpeggio is also called broken chord.

I know what is broken chord. What is a block chord and a solid chord?

#2108137 - 06/25/13 10:11 PM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Block chord and solid chord mean the same as each other: playing the notes of the chord all at the same time.

#2108146 - 06/25/13 10:55 PM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I would use the term blocked chord rather than solid chord.
I was helping out someone to understand and he was using the term "solid chord" so I had to use it to make it easier for him. I personally would use blocked, broken, arpeggio, a la harpe, rolled chord, and so on.

#2108156 - 06/25/13 11:27 PM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
Schubertslieder Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I just did a search on solid chord and just got the definition for "chord".

#2108192 - 06/26/13 01:25 AM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: Brent H]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Originally Posted By: Brent H
It's only in the last couple of years that I've began trying to drag myself toward some ability to hear and play more than a tiny fraction of the stuff I could work out on staff paper as a textbook exercise. It's early days yet and it's a struggle but I do feel I'm gaining ground.

I don't think our disagreement goes very deep at all. There is definitely a huge difference between doing theory exercises, versus recognizing and utilizing the patterns of sound they're talking about. I agree that it's vital to get past reading about theory, and get out there and and capture some music in the wild,: not just by hearing it play out in pieces I learn, but also testing it all out in the music that I (at least try to) improvise. And that takes more time and attention than the dry reading ever did.

Edited by tangleweeds (06/26/13 01:26 AM)
Edit Reason: punctuation

neglected piano blog

#2110151 - 06/29/13 11:44 AM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Joseph, I'd like to recommend that you check out this audio course: Understanding the Fundamentals of Music. It covers many of the topics you ask about (tempo, key, texture, cadences) through explanations and playing musical excerpts. I think you'd like it and get a lot out of it. It's on sale now for $35.

#2110424 - 06/30/13 01:59 AM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
JosephAC Offline

Thanks Mary Bee for your recommendation. Just the price of a lesson. I will. It sounds like what I am looking for exactly at this stage of my development.

#2113053 - 07/05/13 12:51 AM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
JosephAC Offline

Since my last posting, I have been watching Understanding the Fundemntals of Music DVDs. It was a mixed experience. On the one hand, I was keen to watch what is next. And I ended up watching all 16 sessions in less than a week.

On the other hand, it was overwhelming. Information overload. Some time, I wished I never asked my innocent questions. Other time, I find the answers to be simple and straight forward. Needless to say, I will need to watch these sessions again and again over the next year.... grasping the fundmentals of music.

On balance, it is an interesting and exciting journey... and it seems that there is far more to it than what meets the eye. My curiosity is statisfied for now and I am to spend more time on the piano, appreciating the simplicity of my method book and rudimentary instructions of my piano teacher. Viva Simplicity !

#2113087 - 07/05/13 04:07 AM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
There's also a great free online music dictionary here: http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/

#2113151 - 07/05/13 09:06 AM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Since my last posting, I have been watching Understanding the Fundemntals of Music DVDs. It was a mixed experience. On the one hand, I was keen to watch what is next. And I ended up watching all 16 sessions in less than a week.

On the other hand, it was overwhelming. Information overload. Some time, I wished I never asked my innocent questions. Other time, I find the answers to be simple and straight forward. Needless to say, I will need to watch these sessions again and again over the next year.... grasping the fundmentals of music.

Besides watching, did you explore, yourself? Music is not like academic studies. We don't get at it by reading books or watching lectures. You have to play with these things yourself, using your own hands and ears. Are you also doing this part?

#2113201 - 07/05/13 11:15 AM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: JosephAC]
Brent H Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have the Levine "Jazz Piano Book" because my teacher wanted me to do some of the exercises therein.

When it first arrived from Amazon I started "working" my way through the first couple chapters and skimming the whole book. My initial thought was if I went at it a couple hours a day I could be through the whole book in a month or two.

Of course that's before I noticed that practically everything in the book is to be practiced until you can do it in all keys without the book in front of you. Hmmmm, that's a whole different kettle of fish!

Luckily my teacher only wanted me to do a couple of the exercises and learn them in all keys. To really do the whole book would take me a lifetime, no doubt.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

#2114011 - 07/06/13 11:21 PM Re: Music terminology and questions [Re: keystring]
JosephAC Offline

Originally Posted By: keystring

Besides watching, did you explore, yourself? Music is not like academic studies. We don't get at it by reading books or watching lectures. You have to play with these things yourself, using your own hands and ears. Are you also doing this part?

Excellent question.

Usually, when I read or watch something related to my learning, two things happen:
- if it is totally out my reach, I try to understand it and park it for future reference. I get to know what I do not know and available technical tools.
- if it is within my reach, I tend to incorporate it into my thinking and explore it further to see whether I can get the same results. Most of my explorations stem from this forum or beginner's books or vids.
And anything in between.

In the case of these DVD's, there was far too much information and most of it was outside of my reach. It was good to get to know. My objective from the first through twas to glean through the information.

Now,I am going through it again. Half way through the 2nd session. This time, I am listening in order to grasp it better and and gain more benefits. As the first 2 videos are about Timber, I got to learn about the various instruments and in some cases, I searched the web for additional information.

While these 2 sessions broadened my general knowledge of music and music terms, there is not much I can integrate into my daily practice at this stage. One thing , for sure, is that I am becoming more confident in expressing and verbalising my thoughts and writings about music.

I agree to the maxim that knowledge is power if and only if applied. Sometime, I am just not ready to apply. I must also admit that I reflected on the brilliance of these great composers.

In summary, learning can only take place through exploration and experimentation and integration.

Joseph

Edited by JosephAC (07/06/13 11:23 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, 36251, 43 invisible), 1769 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75505 Members
42 Forums
156129 Topics
2292742 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the purpose of learning a song's chords?
by Alex1
40 minutes 7 seconds ago
Question about Heller
by BostonTeacher
Today at 01:03 PM
a solo transcription for Debussy' Petite Suite?
by joonsang
Today at 12:03 PM
KAWAI CS7 + VST Instruments
by mmerino
Today at 12:02 PM
Halloween Fantasy and Tag! - student level pieces
by Axtremus
Today at 09:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission