Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2104528 - 06/18/13 05:15 PM Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky
Akihiko Hoshino Offline

I really have one unknown question.

Why Ms.Golandsky leave Taubman Institution many years ago ??

And she grab the other three great teachers(John,Robert,Mary) to her institution.

Did anybody know why???? sick

Edited by Akihiko Hoshino (06/18/13 05:16 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2104557 - 06/18/13 06:02 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: near keyboard, mouth open
I'm not clear on the answer, but it does appear to me that Ms. Golandsky teaches in some ways very differently from some other Taubman Approach teachers. Some of her videos look kind of crazy to me compared to what my own Taubman-style teacher does. Yet Ms. Golandsky seems to be the "official" Taubman Approach expert. I will see what more I can find out.

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#2104623 - 06/18/13 08:16 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I know the answer, but it is a pointless question. It sounds to me like you really want to ask a follow-up question, so why not start there? wink

#2104698 - 06/19/13 01:11 AM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
Akihiko Hoshino Offline

I want to say I just want the gossip.
Cuz I found Taubman seminar's teachers dont want to talk about Golandsky.
Golandsky also doesnt want to tlak about teachers there, too .

#2104703 - 06/19/13 01:39 AM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

There can't be two "top" authorities on the subject. Consider it more a marketing/PR device than any "real" issue between the institutes. The result is really not a reflection of the cause, which was actually more benign than you'd think. If you're looking for "juicy gossip," I'm afraid all you'd get is dry toast.

#2104934 - 06/19/13 03:46 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
gluecks Offline

It's a bit sad that Golandsky disabled comments on all her youtube videos and doesnt seem to reply to PMs.

#2104972 - 06/19/13 05:32 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Aki,

I was a student and "practice assistant" at the Taubman Institute during the 80s and 90s, until shortly before the split happened. Of course Edna doesn't want to talk about the split, nor did Dorothy during her lifetime, nor did Enid Stettner, Taumban's executive director.

There was a lot of bad feeling about Edna's departure, and still is. This was all due to poor interpersonal dynamics, basic disagreements about where both Dorothy's institute and any side business was going, and how it was going to be managed and by whom.

That's about the extent of it. This kind of rupture is very typical of arts non-profit organizations, and the egos and personality problems one often runs into in them. Yes, there was a lot of backstabbing going on at that time, and after. And that's all anybody needs to know. If you want more juicy details, you'll have to wait for the unauthorized biography to come out (if one ever does).

However, I can say with certainty that Dorothy's and Edna's break had nothing to do with disagreements they allegedly had about the technique. Those are all urban legends that have no basis in truth. Here's a short article I wrote about Dorothy's method for Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman

This is still the best-practice technical model and basic methodology taught by the faculties of both institutes today. The pedagogical approach has evolved somewhat. Dorothy evolved it quite a bit during her lifetime, and Dorothy's surviving faculty, and Edna and her people, continue to do so today. So the way they teach the method has changed, and continues to do so. But the basic concept and goals of the technique have not changed at all. The video lectures that Edna sells on her website, the ones where she presents Dorothy's technical model in 10 DVDs? Those were produced at the Institute summer session in Amherst. And they are still just as valid today as they were then, or Edna wouldn't sell them.

Hope this helps!

Edited by laguna_greg (06/20/13 09:54 AM)
Edit Reason: even more oops

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2105284 - 06/20/13 10:45 AM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
Akihiko Hoshino Offline

Thank you for your essay and reply.

I want to ask this because my friend mentioned 'Taubman seminar'
before Edan,and Edan became very very very unhappy.

This shocked my friend,he dosen't know why they all from the
same system,why she become so cold.

#2105297 - 06/20/13 11:11 AM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Aki,

Glad to be of some help. Dorothy and Edna were very close before Edna left and had been for more than 20 years. Dorothy felt very betrayed by her leaving, as well as a few other people who also left at that time without her blessing. I don't think Dorothy ever forgave Edna for it, and I'm sure Edna has very mixed feelings about it now that Dorothy has passed away.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2105759 - 06/21/13 01:25 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
Akihiko Hoshino Offline

Sad
I saw Edan pose the picture on facebook,
which Edan and Dorothy hold hands on the couch.

I guess Edan didn't partcipant the funeral......

Be a human,so hard.

Thank you for the answer,I learned Taubman Technique since 2011,
and helpd me a lot.

Thank you , Dorothy Taubman

#2105963 - 06/21/13 08:53 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I sense an urge to pass judgment in this thread, and I'd like to suggest caution about this for those who don't know all the circumstances--or maybe even for those who do!

I don't claim to know all the circumstances myself. In fact, I don't really consider them to be my business, though I can understand the OP's curiosity.

I do know that the people involved--such as the great teachers mentioned--are not valuables to be "grabbed," but brilliant folks with independent judgment, dedication, and a deep gratitude for Taubman's teaching that is displayed daily in everything they do.

#2105971 - 06/21/13 09:17 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: jdw]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi JD,

I don't think anybody's necessarily doing that here. Not yet, anyway! Many people who were not there at the time the split happened don't understand why there would is still some obvious tension now.

That's all!

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C

#2106059 - 06/22/13 02:09 AM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: laguna_greg]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: laguna_greg
Hi JD,

I don't think anybody's necessarily doing that here. Not yet, anyway! Many people who were not there at the time the split happened don't understand why there would is still some obvious tension now.

That's all!

My grandparents divorced 40 years ago. They still don't talk, even though they live 5 miles apart, and when they come to family functions, they won't even sit in the same room. Heck, they won't even stay in the same hotel!

There was no scandal. There was no wild, crazy, juicy story.

Sometimes, even in the most innocuous of circustances, emotions run deep and the effects last a long time. That doesn't mean anything "serious" or "tragic" or "any-other-horrible-word" happened.

Also, there really isn't any "tension" that I've ever felt, and I've met everyone involved (except Dorothy). I think threads like this, and "water cooler" speculative conversations about it want to make it a much bigger deal than it is. Unfortunately, it's not.

Mountain, meet mole hill. wink

#2106246 - 06/22/13 02:03 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Derulux]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Derulux,

Exactly. It's all wasted breath about a bunch of nothing.

Oh but at that time and the period leading up to it, feelings ran very deep. And the fur flew long and hard, and from one coast to the other. For some people I think they still do.

Do you have lessons with Bob Durso? I know he's in Philly.

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C

#2106906 - 06/23/13 07:18 PM Re: Ask about unknown things between Taubman and Golandsky [Re: Akihiko Hoshino]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I studied with him for 5 years, and we still keep in touch. He is a wonderful pianist and one of the best teachers (in any field, not just music) I've ever known.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (bennevis, Atrys, Akshay, 20 invisible), 1051 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251176 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
56 minutes 14 seconds ago
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission