Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
81 registered (ando, angga888, AZNpiano, BB Player, 23 invisible), 1081 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2106988 - 06/23/13 10:38 PM How good are Perzina grand pianos?
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
I have not played the piano for many years due to chronic pain in my left hand. However, intensive physical therapy and anti-inflammatory drug regimens have finally paid off. My left hand is just about back to normal. My doctor says I can start off with practicing no more than 1 hour per day for 3-4 week, and afterwards increase it to 2 hours per day if I suffer no ill effects. Last weekend I played my niece's Sauter Omega for a few minutes - what an instrument, even if my playing was rusty as heck!

Thus I am toying with the idea of buying a 6-7 ft. grand piano for my own personal use. New Sauters, Grotrians, Steinways, Steingraebers, etc. are out of the question - way beyond my budget. If pressed, I could afford something like an Estonia L190 or L210, a Mason & Hamlin AA, or a Schimmel K189 -something under $60,000 - but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money if I didn't have to.

One of the cheaper brands that interests me is Perzina. I know that their vertical pianos are considered great value for the money, but I haven't found much information on their grands. There is no Perzina dealer in the Richmond area, so I haven't been able to check them out for myself. If they are as good a bargain as their uprights, driving a few hours to the nearest dealer would be worth the trip.

Do any of you guys know anything about Perzina grands? Is their touch, tone, and build quality close to that of Estonias, Mason & Hamlins, Schimmels, etc. of the same size? Or are they no better than typical mass-produced pianos?

P.S. - the following is a quote from "Piano Buyer":
"A new line of Perzina grand pianos was introduced in 2011, designed and manufactured by Perzina in cooperation with a major European manufacturer."

Does anybody know who this "major European manufacturer" is?

Edited by Almaviva (06/23/13 10:48 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2107009 - 06/24/13 12:27 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
Hi Almaviva,

I have only seen and played one Perzina grand piano, a model T-175, which I believe is about 5'9". It was in a very ornate case design with a wood finish at the NAMM show, and I thought it played and sounded quite well- on par with their regular vertical piano models. I would not consider that instrument to be the equal of the others you have mentioned in your post, though. The model GP-130A upright, which I believe is a new design for Perzina, is one of the pianos that really impressed me, and seemed it could compete with much more expensive verticals and hold its own.

For whatever reason, the several Perzina dealers in the surrounding area where I live seem to have a good selection of verticals only.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#2107017 - 06/24/13 01:40 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Almaviva
If pressed, I could afford something like an Estonia L190 or L210, a Mason & Hamlin AA, or a Schimmel K189 -something under $60,000 - but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money if I didn't have to.

It's all about priorities. Do you need a high-performance piano? If not, you might be able to get away with a Perzina. If, on the other hand, you will subject the piano to rigorous and frequent playing, a higher-end piano would be best.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2107090 - 06/24/13 07:25 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

>Do any of you guys know anything about Perzina grands? Is their touch, tone, and build quality close to that of Estonias, Mason & Hamlins, Schimmels, etc. of the same size? Or are they no better than typical mass-produced pianos?

I have played a few Perzina grands several years ago

Sound was fine, let's say just below Petrof.
The casing looked OK, I did not see obvious defects but I did not check the details.

Seems the company is owned by Music Brokers International (Netherlands).
Supposedly the actions in grands are Renner.
But I think the pianos are built in China.

#2107120 - 06/24/13 09:33 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: terminaldegree]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have found two dealers within a 200-mile radius, but they carry the uprights only.

Thanks for the appraisal of the sound and playability of the T-175 - good, but not quite as good as the Estonia, M&H, Schimmel, etc. models.

#2107130 - 06/24/13 09:58 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: wouter79]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

You're right, they are made in China. However, the scale designs are German, and they use high-quality European components (Roslau strings, Renner actions, Austrian spruce soundboards, etc.). Their pianos are made in their own new factory equipped with modern CNC machinery from Germany, Japan & Italy - they haven't used OEMs since 2003.

Thanks for the appraisal of the grands - sounded fine, but not quite as good as Petrof.

Do you know who the "major European manufacturer" was that collaborated with Perzina in the design of their current line of grand pianos?

Edited by Almaviva (06/24/13 10:34 AM)

#2107266 - 06/24/13 03:02 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
RAY930 Offline

Loc: Europe

Do you know who the "major European manufacturer" was that collaborated with Perzina in the design of their current line of grand pianos?

I believe that major european manufacturer was Bechstein, but that project somehow never came to life. Currents grands line up were introduced last year I think, being new sizes, design and materials.

#2108042 - 06/25/13 06:52 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
panche23 Offline

Loc: Arizona/Calif
I had a Perzina grand for about 2 months. The dealer took it back, having problems with the action sticking. The piano tech was not able to fix to my liking. This was about 4-5 years ago. I stepped up to a Petrof. Have you considered a Brodmann piano? I played one sometime back and the action was very light and smooth. Almost bought one.

#2108142 - 06/25/13 10:32 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I've played a number of Perzina grands at Merriam pianos near Toronto and they consistently impress me. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Schimmels or Masons but they are certainly a better value for the money. There is no reason why you couldn't be fully satisfied with a well prepped Perzina grand. The only question mark for me would be longevity.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist

#2108149 - 06/25/13 10:59 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: AJF]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, guys, for all of your responses. You've been very helpful.

I gather from most of your responses that the Perzina grands are good values for the money, but they are not in the not in the same league as the lower-priced "top tier" brands (e.g., Estonia, Schimmel Classic, Burger & Jacobi, W. Hoffmann, etc.). No one is sure of their longevity or reliability either.

I'll keep looking for a Perzina dealer that stocks the grand pianos, but no luck so far.

Edited by Almaviva (06/25/13 11:01 PM)

#2108165 - 06/26/13 12:07 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You're right, they are made in China. However, the scale designs are German, and they use high-quality European components (Roslau strings, Renner actions, Austrian spruce soundboards, etc.). Their pianos are made in their own new factory equipped with modern CNC machinery from Germany, Japan & Italy - they haven't used OEMs since 2003.

High end components and CNC machinery are all well and good, but the only thing that counts in the end is how well they play. Someone still has to put everything together, regulate its touch and tone, and tune it. In an entry level piano, this is often overlooked to satisfy the price point.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2108175 - 06/26/13 12:26 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
I'll keep looking for a Perzina dealer that stocks the grand pianos, but no luck so far.

Hello Almaviva,

Do you have a particular fascination towards the Perzina grands? Have you tried some of the other highly rated Asian pianos?

#2108204 - 06/26/13 02:22 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just one other thing, the Perzinas I played had a very light, open sound. More so than most other pianos. If you like that sound, Perzina might well be the best choice.

#2109606 - 06/28/13 11:25 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Dara]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Dara,

The only reason I was asking about Perzina grands was because one of them got good ratings in "Piano Buyer" a few years ago (comparable to Ritmuller, Hailun, Cunningham, & Brodmann), people have raved about their verticals, and the prices were reasonable. That's all.

#2110494 - 06/30/13 07:25 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
Grandman Offline

Loc: Usa
Well, I own a perzina grand piano and all I can say is that I'm impressed every time I play it. The newer grands are entirely different than the ones previously designed by hans leverkink. They have an entirely different scale and design than the older ones. For me, I have no concerns about longevity. Here is an example of the newer perzina grands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LA_x27GrZ-M

#2110547 - 06/30/13 10:14 AM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
If pressed, I could afford something like an Estonia L190 or L210, a Mason & Hamlin AA, or a Schimmel K189 -something under $60,000 - but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money if I didn't have to.
The Mason AA and Estonia 190 should closer to or even under 40K.

#2110584 - 06/30/13 12:07 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
You can also look at Shigeru SK-2 or some Kawai RX pianos. They brand new prices are quite cheap for the <2 meters pianos(half os Steinway and all this tier one pianos prices).

I don't know prices of Knabe as well, but I suppose they are good pianos too.

#2110589 - 06/30/13 12:21 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
The first pianos which come to mind are the Walter and the Estonia. Different tonal structures but both great pianos.

There are some good bargains to be found on the Kawai RX series right now, but I don't consider them to have the same response and gratification as the Walters and the Estonias.

The piano which I consider to be the best bang for the buck is the Cunningham. It really is amazing what comes out of them and it would be my preference over the Perzina.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2110600 - 06/30/13 12:51 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Maybe he could also try Brodmann Artist Series, what you think Marty?

#2110603 - 06/30/13 12:54 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Sounds like $60k can buy you a used or rebuilt high-end piano like Steinway, etc.

#2110607 - 06/30/13 12:59 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Hi Kapelli,

I don't have much experience with Brodmanns and really don't have a reference, especially with the different series.

#2110610 - 06/30/13 01:08 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
Jonathan Alford Offline

Loc: Colorado
Marty,

Do you have much experience with Cunningham's?

Jonathan

#2110639 - 06/30/13 02:04 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Jonathan,

At the store, they couldn't keep my hands off of them! I was impressed by how well they responded and couldn't believe the price.

I also have friends who own their grands. Also, even in good recordings, the sound comes through. My ears perk up immediately. They play & sound like pianos of a much 'higher tier.'

#2110704 - 06/30/13 04:41 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Marty.

Estonia & Walter are on my "short list". If I decide to economize, one of the Cunningham models would be a candidate, as would the Hailun & Ritmuller grands.

Marty, you have been to the Cunningham factory & showroom in Philadelphia. In addition to the Cunningham line, Rich also carries Hailun, which is the OEM manufacturer for Cunningham. You obviously liked the Cunninghams. Did you also play any of the Hailuns? How are they different, in terms of touch, tone, etc. from the Cunninghams?

#2110748 - 06/30/13 05:54 PM Re: How good are Perzina grand pianos? [Re: Almaviva]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Almaviva,

I have played Hailuns at dealerships other than Cunningham Piano, also. The big difference between the two is the sound, model compared to model. The Cunninghams have more depth and complexity in the tonal structure. It's my opinion that the difference is due to the fact that Rich, Tim, and their staff knew what they wanted to achieve and then it was realized through the skills of George Emerson, following the original Cunningham designs. How faithful the recreation is open to conjecture, I guess. What they have achieved speaks for itself, however.

I really didn't notice any significant difference in the action response of either of the brands. But, every instrument on the sales floor has received detailed preparation, so the similarity of action response is not surprising. It would be interesting to hear from Rich if there are differences in the action design and geometry.

I like the Hailuns very much and my recommendation for them stands. The Cunningham, however, is a more refined and tonally sophisticated instrument. The variation of color which is available to the pianist surpasses anything else which is close in price.

My opinion, based from a pianist's observation rather than a technician, is that the fit and finish on the Hailun products is as good as any of the Asian products, including Kawai and Yamaha. Whether that extends to the structural integrity is for others to judge. The reviews of others certainly indicate that this might be the case.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Weber piano sonatas: a "hidden" treasure
by jeffreyjones
11/27/14 12:32 AM
Yamaha Avantgrand N1 manufacturing date
by farain
11/26/14 11:12 PM
Is it really possible to ignore fingerings?
by bjorn of brekkukot
11/26/14 08:29 PM
Recording equipment advice
by aceydawg
11/26/14 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159386 Topics
2341334 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission