2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
I have not played the piano for many years due to chronic pain in my left hand. However, intensive physical therapy and anti-inflammatory drug regimens have finally paid off. My left hand is just about back to normal. My doctor says I can start off with practicing no more than 1 hour per day for 3-4 week, and afterwards increase it to 2 hours per day if I suffer no ill effects. Last weekend I played my niece's Sauter Omega for a few minutes - what an instrument, even if my playing was rusty as heck!

Thus I am toying with the idea of buying a 6-7 ft. grand piano for my own personal use. New Sauters, Grotrians, Steinways, Steingraebers, etc. are out of the question - way beyond my budget. If pressed, I could afford something like an Estonia L190 or L210, a Mason & Hamlin AA, or a Schimmel K189 -something under $60,000 - but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money if I didn't have to.

One of the cheaper brands that interests me is Perzina. I know that their vertical pianos are considered great value for the money, but I haven't found much information on their grands. There is no Perzina dealer in the Richmond area, so I haven't been able to check them out for myself. If they are as good a bargain as their uprights, driving a few hours to the nearest dealer would be worth the trip.

Do any of you guys know anything about Perzina grands? Is their touch, tone, and build quality close to that of Estonias, Mason & Hamlins, Schimmels, etc. of the same size? Or are they no better than typical mass-produced pianos?

P.S. - the following is a quote from "Piano Buyer":
"A new line of Perzina grand pianos was introduced in 2011, designed and manufactured by Perzina in cooperation with a major European manufacturer."

Does anybody know who this "major European manufacturer" is?

Last edited by Almaviva; 06/23/13 10:48 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Almaviva,

I have only seen and played one Perzina grand piano, a model T-175, which I believe is about 5'9". It was in a very ornate case design with a wood finish at the NAMM show, and I thought it played and sounded quite well- on par with their regular vertical piano models. I would not consider that instrument to be the equal of the others you have mentioned in your post, though. The model GP-130A upright, which I believe is a new design for Perzina, is one of the pianos that really impressed me, and seemed it could compete with much more expensive verticals and hold its own.

For whatever reason, the several Perzina dealers in the surrounding area where I live seem to have a good selection of verticals only.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Almaviva
If pressed, I could afford something like an Estonia L190 or L210, a Mason & Hamlin AA, or a Schimmel K189 -something under $60,000 - but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money if I didn't have to.

It's all about priorities. Do you need a high-performance piano? If not, you might be able to get away with a Perzina. If, on the other hand, you will subject the piano to rigorous and frequent playing, a higher-end piano would be best.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Do any of you guys know anything about Perzina grands? Is their touch, tone, and build quality close to that of Estonias, Mason & Hamlins, Schimmels, etc. of the same size? Or are they no better than typical mass-produced pianos?

I have played a few Perzina grands several years ago

Sound was fine, let's say just below Petrof.
The casing looked OK, I did not see obvious defects but I did not check the details.

Seems the company is owned by Music Brokers International (Netherlands).
Supposedly the actions in grands are Renner.
But I think the pianos are built in China.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have found two dealers within a 200-mile radius, but they carry the uprights only.

Thanks for the appraisal of the sound and playability of the T-175 - good, but not quite as good as the Estonia, M&H, Schimmel, etc. models.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
You're right, they are made in China. However, the scale designs are German, and they use high-quality European components (Roslau strings, Renner actions, Austrian spruce soundboards, etc.). Their pianos are made in their own new factory equipped with modern CNC machinery from Germany, Japan & Italy - they haven't used OEMs since 2003.

Thanks for the appraisal of the grands - sounded fine, but not quite as good as Petrof.

Do you know who the "major European manufacturer" was that collaborated with Perzina in the design of their current line of grand pianos?

Last edited by Almaviva; 06/24/13 10:34 AM.

Do you know who the "major European manufacturer" was that collaborated with Perzina in the design of their current line of grand pianos?

I believe that major european manufacturer was Bechstein, but that project somehow never came to life. Currents grands line up were introduced last year I think, being new sizes, design and materials.

P
P
I had a Perzina grand for about 2 months. The dealer took it back, having problems with the action sticking. The piano tech was not able to fix to my liking. This was about 4-5 years ago. I stepped up to a Petrof. Have you considered a Brodmann piano? I played one sometime back and the action was very light and smooth. Almost bought one.

Schimmel C169 Kawai NV5S
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I've played a number of Perzina grands at Merriam pianos near Toronto and they consistently impress me. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Schimmels or Masons but they are certainly a better value for the money. There is no reason why you couldn't be fully satisfied with a well prepped Perzina grand. The only question mark for me would be longevity.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks, guys, for all of your responses. You've been very helpful.

I gather from most of your responses that the Perzina grands are good values for the money, but they are not in the not in the same league as the lower-priced "top tier" brands (e.g., Estonia, Schimmel Classic, Burger & Jacobi, W. Hoffmann, etc.). No one is sure of their longevity or reliability either.

I'll keep looking for a Perzina dealer that stocks the grand pianos, but no luck so far.

Last edited by Almaviva; 06/25/13 11:01 PM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
You're right, they are made in China. However, the scale designs are German, and they use high-quality European components (Roslau strings, Renner actions, Austrian spruce soundboards, etc.). Their pianos are made in their own new factory equipped with modern CNC machinery from Germany, Japan & Italy - they haven't used OEMs since 2003.

High end components and CNC machinery are all well and good, but the only thing that counts in the end is how well they play. Someone still has to put everything together, regulate its touch and tone, and tune it. In an entry level piano, this is often overlooked to satisfy the price point.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll keep looking for a Perzina dealer that stocks the grand pianos, but no luck so far.

Hello Almaviva,

Do you have a particular fascination towards the Perzina grands? Have you tried some of the other highly rated Asian pianos?

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Just one other thing, the Perzinas I played had a very light, open sound. More so than most other pianos. If you like that sound, Perzina might well be the best choice.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Dara,

The only reason I was asking about Perzina grands was because one of them got good ratings in "Piano Buyer" a few years ago (comparable to Ritmuller, Hailun, Cunningham, & Brodmann), people have raved about their verticals, and the prices were reasonable. That's all.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Well, I own a perzina grand piano and all I can say is that I'm impressed every time I play it. The newer grands are entirely different than the ones previously designed by hans leverkink. They have an entirely different scale and design than the older ones. For me, I have no concerns about longevity. Here is an example of the newer perzina grands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LA_x27GrZ-M

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If pressed, I could afford something like an Estonia L190 or L210, a Mason & Hamlin AA, or a Schimmel K189 -something under $60,000 - but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money if I didn't have to.
The Mason AA and Estonia 190 should closer to or even under 40K.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
You can also look at Shigeru SK-2 or some Kawai RX pianos. They brand new prices are quite cheap for the <2 meters pianos(half os Steinway and all this tier one pianos prices).

I don't know prices of Knabe as well, but I suppose they are good pianos too.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
The first pianos which come to mind are the Walter and the Estonia. Different tonal structures but both great pianos.

There are some good bargains to be found on the Kawai RX series right now, but I don't consider them to have the same response and gratification as the Walters and the Estonias.

The piano which I consider to be the best bang for the buck is the Cunningham. It really is amazing what comes out of them and it would be my preference over the Perzina.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Maybe he could also try Brodmann Artist Series, what you think Marty?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sounds like $60k can buy you a used or rebuilt high-end piano like Steinway, etc.

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission