2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2106416 06/22/13 07:37 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Hello fellow piano lovers,
Next summer, two of my best friends are getting married and I was asked to play something at the wedding. I am trying to come up with a piece that I will play and had a few questions.

1. I have recently become obsessed with Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria. I have heard it is very difficult but not sure what would be a good comparison? Also if I played the first 2 or 3 minutes does that eliminate some of the more difficult sections? Any comparable transcriptions that may be slightly easier?

2. Any other beautiful wedding pieces I should consider? I am thinking about Liebestraum #3 or Widmung but I would love to hear if anyone has other pieces I should consider.

In terms of my level, I would consider myself intermediate to advanced intermediate and Liebestraum and Widmung would probably be the very most difficult pieces I could attempt. I have a year to learn it and it will be a project of love so I'm open for a challenge. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by Pianolover13; 06/22/13 07:38 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Not sure if it's appropriate. But one of my favorite pieces is Schumann's Traumerie. I think it's quite beautiful. Not quite a love song, but could be.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I wouldn't do the Liszt transcriptions. I recommend picking up a Wedding piano solo book, there are many fine ones out there. You'll find arrangements of Ave Maria and other popular favorites that would be more accessible.

I just did a quick search, does this one seem about your level (see the Look inside part):
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Love-and-Wedding-Piano-Solos-2nd-Edition/2908414#

That one has some classical and other wedding standards.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
One that I see often used as a wedding song: Canon in D . It has been copied a ton. It was actually originally a Christmas song with a choir. It is one I'm rather infatuated with. I don't like many of the piano interpretations. The arranger tries to get fancy like they do with the violins. Doesn't work with piano like it does with violin. Here is the best piano rendition I know of. I haven't been able to track down the arranger. I'm about to come up with my own arrangement to copy this one.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Do you have a teacher? Depending on just how much you're willing to invest in learning to play such a piece for their wedding (possibly also as a very memorable gift), you may wish to seek out a teacher to help you. A qualified piano teacher would be able to help you break such pieces down into more than manageable tasks given the period of time allotted.

I'd also recommend listening to and considering Grieg's "Wedding Day At Troldhaugen"

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
If your friends have a sense of humor. You might give a go at: Transylvanian Lullaby. From the movie: Young Frankenstein. It would be something to play during the reception. Also I can't find this in sheet music. Would probably require a violinist duet with you to do it right. It would be something they wouldn't forget. smile

Ron
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Some people might be tired of hearing Canon, but I always love it. Also there are several interesting adaptations, the Lee Galloway one is nice, and the George Winston version in C major is also quite lovely. As you look at various books, consider this one too:

Quiet Classics piano solo music collection

Also, you need to talk with the couple and ask them about their wishes and expectations for your performance. Do they have an idea of how long they want you to play? If they say one piece, you want to ask for specifics, how many minutes. Is it possible they might want you to have more than one piece ready? Is it possible they might ask you to add some extra repeats to fill space? Do they want you to play while everyone is sitting quietly listening? Or will you be playing while a meal is being served? While people walk into the church? And don't forget to ask about the piano, will it be acoustic or digital? If acoustic, upright or grand? If digital, with separate speakers or not? Where will the piano be relative to other parts of the ceremony or reception? Will you be able to play the piano before the ceremony at some point? Oh, and do they care if you use a score or not? Do they want you to decide the piece in advance so they can put it in a printed program? If yes, what's their deadline?

So, this might all seem like overkill, but knowing what they want/expect will make it easier for you and ensure that everyone, including you, enjoys your performance.

Good luck, and please let us know what piece you end up choosing.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Forget Classical - this isn't a recital - you're there to help set a mood - perform a beautiful, listenable pop-style song everyone can appreciate - like this one - if you can't sing get a singer and then accompany and play an extended instrumental middle section - keep it simple and sweet:

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn's post made me realize the most important question to ask the couple is the one question I didn't include in my list of suggested questions! What kind of music are they hoping for? And do they want to hear what you'll be playing in advance?

For example, I wouldn't have thought to suggest a piano/voice performance of something in a pop-style. Or, I love the Canon, but the version posted in this thread is too slow for my taste, just as some people might not like the arrangements in the book I suggested etc.

So I would say you definitely want to ask them their musical preferences.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Why does it always have to be classical, there is plenty of modern stuff out there.

Two fairly easy pieces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzndHoXzGsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRa02Hmg45I

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Puccini wrote some of the most beautiful melodies ever heard, including many love songs.

The piano arrangements in this book Puccini for Solo Piano - 38 pieces sound very nice and are suitable for intermediate players. (Note: this is not the 25-song Easy Play version of the same book)

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The lady getting married will have a favourite piece which`ll make her go weak at the knees. You need to find out what it is . . .behind the scenes so to speak. No need to involve the fella . . . . .but having said that, she/he may come up with something different near - too near the time! Better sort it out first . . .have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I second what peterws suggested. It is their wedding so they must like the music you play.

I was asked to play for my colleague's wedding 2 years ago. I asked if they had any favourites they wanted me to play but they were indecisive. So I recorded a few songs, put them on a CD and asked them to pick. In the end they wanted Bach's prelude in C before the bride arrives, Canon in D to walk down the aisle, a couple of Richard Clayderman music, then the famous wedding march from mid-summer night dreams as they walk out of the hall.

Be yourself

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
You really have to change focus on this.

This isn't a piano feature. It's a wedding, and the piano performance should add to it, but never overshadow it. The bride is the star, not you.

If you attempt something too difficult and stumble even slightly, you will ruin the biggest day of her entire life and it will be captured on video forever.

Oh, yeah, now you just ruined the most important video of her life, too. And she paid $1500 for it. <g>

For an occasion like this, you program something easy enough you are rock solid on it no matter what happens. That way you can play it perfectly, nerves won't get in the way, you can have fun with it.

There are easy but beautiful pieces for somebody of your skill level. (not exactly true for me!)

gotta go practice
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I hadn't played The Wedding Song - There is Love since I started piano. I tried it late last week. It wasn't all that tuff, and of course, piano gives it something special. If you can sing a bit, that's my suggestion.

nada
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR

This isn't a piano feature. It's a wedding, and the piano performance should add to it, but never overshadow it. The bride is the star, not you.

There are easy but beautiful pieces for somebody of your skill level. (not exactly true for me!)

This reiterates what I said above - it's not about you - keep it simple and sweet...

If it's a Christian wedding you might want to try working up a version of this stunningly gorgeous song:

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
... The bride is the star, not you.

If you become the star. Have you ever met; Bridezilla!

You really have to change focus on this....

If you attempt something too difficult and stumble even slightly, you will ruin the biggest day of her entire life and it will be captured on video forever.

Oh, yeah, now you just ruined the most important video of her life, too. And she paid $1500 for it. <g>

Did I just see Pianolover13 crawl into a hole? I can hear whimpering: "I'm not coming out...never...leave me alone..."
Now that we've taken all the pressure off the poor person. We're also experts at resignation letters. smile

Ron
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you everyone sooo much for the responses! You are all the best. Taking your advice I compiled all the wonderful responses and sent the selections to the bride to see what she wanted. I will report back with what she says. Thanks again for your help!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There you go.

Did you know? We have a 'Let's Talk Weddings' thread on the Non-Classical forum, started by a wedding pianist. It offers a broadening of the perspective.. I think I can say that with no fear of exaggeration.

Clef

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
How about Liszt's D minor Transcendental Etude, Mazeppa? I'm sure that won't take the focus off of the bride.

Regards,

Polyphonist

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission